Can not 'mark partition as active' for a 1Tb laptop SATA drive

Sebastian42

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I was able to do a disk scan - NO read errors found, but the feature mentioned in the subject is greyed out. In a different computer, merely connecting power to the 1Tb drive causes the PC to crash. I suppose I can just use it as a storage drive, but I'm interested if the handicap can be overcome.

Ramrunner73

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I was able to do a disk scan - NO read errors found, but the feature mentioned in the subject is greyed out. In a different computer, merely connecting power to the 1Tb drive causes the PC to crash. I suppose I can just use it as a storage drive, but I'm interested if the handicap can be overcome.

I've seen weird partition factors cause this before.....but mainly with Linux partitions and file systems. What was originally on the drive? You don't mention what file system it has? To eliminate the problem I would copy all the data to another drive, blast away all partitions, then re-create. I haven't found anything non fixable using this method yet.

Worth a try?

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi, depending of the OS it will only let you do it when you are installing that OS, one thing you can do is using a Partition Manager do that, the partition manager should at least tells you what's the problem, maybe the 0 sector is broken or maybe you are marking as active a partition being inside Windows.

Can you provide us a little bit more information to see how can we help you, which program are you using to set the partition active? which OS do you want to install on it?

All the information about how you are doing it will be helpful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs