Waiting Room: Creators Update for the Release Preview Ring

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Creating this thread for those who own phones that will not officially receive the Creator's Update on April 25.

I have two Lumias, a 1520 and a 735 both of which unfortunately will not get the update.

While I'm sad about this news, I have stated in another thread that I will just "roll with it"

Also, I am not making this thread to defend Microsoft's decision but to help fellow Windows 10 Mobile fans. It will be highly appreciated if no one posts a negative comment. (There are plenty other threads where you can do that)

So given what we know now, the best way unsupported phones can get the Creator's Update safely is to through the RELEASE PREVIEW RING

At this time, it isn't available yet but you can bet my phone is ready for it when it gets bumped up to that ring.

MrsDM

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
When will my phone get the Windows 10 creator update? I already signed up as a Windows Insider and downloaded the app...which tells me just go to settings. Do I even need that app? But then when I got settings there is no option to set the ring cycle. It used to show slow,fast etc when I was enrolled in Insider before.
Someone please help!!! I've followed every instruction&hint to be able to get the update&my phone IS on the list of mobile phones that can get the update. I REALLY want it asap because it's about time MS updated Windows security.
Help needed badly. I'm basically computer illeterate lol so please speak in easy to understand language??????

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm on a Lumia 1520 too. Keep us posted...
Windows Central reports that the Creators Update is now in the RELEASE PREVIEW ring.
Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update now rolling out to the Release Preview ring | Windows Central

Just what I was waiting for finally, unsupported phones may get the Creators Update and will continue to get cumulative updates through the Release Preview Ring.

Will download on my Lumia 735 and Lumia 1520 when I get home later today

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows Central reports that the Creators Update is now in the RELEASE PREVIEW ring.
Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update now rolling out to the Release Preview ring | Windows Central

Just what I was waiting for finally, unsupported phones may get the Creators Update and will continue to get cumulative updates through the Release Preview Ring.

Will download on my Lumia 735 and Lumia 1520 when I get home later today

Not so fast.
Here is an article saying that it is not true.
From Neowin posted an hour ago :
https://www.neowin.net/news/the-win...-is-now-available-in-the-release-preview-ring

unupported devices.jpg

So, which one do we believe ?

Nathan-NL

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Not getting the update on a 550 and 735. They are both on 15063.138.

Edit: My 550 is now downloading the update since 01.45AM CET. The 735 is still not getting it.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No the only 40 series phones that are eligible are the 640 and 640 XL.

You should still be able to get it by using the release preview ring on insiders build, and you will receive cumulative updates (bug fixes, and security updates), but you will not be able to update beyond the creator's update.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

You should still be able to get it by using the release preview ring on insiders build, and you will receive cumulative updates (bug fixes, and security updates), but you will not be able to update beyond the creator's update.

Please kindly clarify the followings :

RE : You should still be able to get it by using the release preview ring on insiders build.

Assuming you were referring to those NOT on supported list.
If that is what you meant, there is an article that casts doubts on the claim. See Post #7 .
Proof is what we need.
Feedback Hub is not exactly a bible.

RE : but you will not be able to update beyond the creator's update.

That makes little sense. If a non-supported device can get the Creators Update (which remains to be proven) in release preview ring, there is no reason why it cannot continue to get future updates.
Please give us a link to the article that says that.
Thank you.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by camaroz1985

Perhaps. Problem is, it's not available on the release preview ring for everybody. For example, my UK unbranded L930 is on release preview ring but the creators update is not yet available. I'm hoping it will happen, but promises from MS are not exactly rock solid are they, so who knows.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I got my info from the article on this site.

Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update build 15063.251 now rolling out to the Release Preview ring | Windows Central

It states:

Previously, it was believed that unsupported devices would be left behind, but if you enrol in the Insider program, you'll still get cumulative updates for THIS unsupported release.

I take that to mean that if you have an unsupported device you can update to this release meaning Creator's Update, but not beyond. I think that is backed up by Microsoft not pushing any of the RS3/Feature 2 builds to unsupported devices even if you keep your device in the fast ring.

I also read somewhere that if you have an unsupported device on the current production build you should use the fast ring to get a 15063.XX build and then switch to Release Preview to get the .251 build.

Unfortunately I don't have an unsupported device to try this on myself, but if you do and are trying to get Creator's Update I would give it a shot. We all would like definitive answers about the future for our device or even the OS, but for those of us left it is more a trial and error affair than a straight forward instruction. There will be many ideas proposed here and until someone finds something that works 100% of the time we are all guinea pigs.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by camaroz1985
I got my info from the article on this site.

Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update build 15063.251 now rolling out to the Release Preview ring | Windows Central

It states:

Previously, it was believed that unsupported devices would be left behind, but if you enrol in the Insider program, you'll still get cumulative updates for THIS unsupported release.

I take that to mean that if you have an unsupported device you can update to this release meaning Creator's Update, but not beyond. I think that is backed up by Microsoft not pushing any of the RS3/Feature 2 builds to unsupported devices even if you keep your device in the fast ring.

I also read somewhere that if you have an unsupported device on the current production build you should use the fast ring to get a 15063.XX build and then switch to Release Preview to get the .251 build.

Unfortunately I don't have an unsupported device to try this on myself, but if you do and are trying to get Creator's Update I would give it a shot. We all would like definitive answers about the future for our device or even the OS, but for those of us left it is more a trial and error affair than a straight forward instruction. There will be many ideas proposed here and until someone finds something that works 100% of the time we are all guinea pigs.

Just tried the method advised above so it's now tested. And it doesn't work. My L930 is now stuck on the fast ring, because there is no update available on the release preview ring. So, what to do now? How do I get back to a stable build?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12