Can Windows 10 Mobile voice announce the name of callers who are contacts?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My father's wife's L521 recently died. We gave her a spare L640 we had and she says her 521 would voice announce incoming calls with the name from the contact.

I am not aware of that option in WM10. If it exists, how do you set it? I looked thru the settings but couldn't find anything.

If it doesn't exist in 10, did it in WP8? It seems like a strange decision to eliminate such an option when they didn't remove a similar option to announce texts by the name of the contact. I know she isn't confusing the two because she doesn't use text so her contacts don't text her. I looked and she gets maybe 3-4 texts per YEAR.

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
The L640 is a native Windows 8.1 device. And ATM it will receive Redstone 3, and (btw the Lumia 640 is a great phone)
If the 640 is on 8.1, no can do voice announce incoming calls. On Windows Mobile 10, as Withheld explained, Yes.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The L640 is a native Windows 8.1 device. And ATM it will receive Redstone 3, and (btw the Lumia 640 is a great phone)
If the 640 is on 8.1, no can do voice announce incoming calls. On Windows Mobile 10, as Withheld explained, Yes.
Its on Insider preview, so WM10. But the the L521 was on 8.1 at time of death and it was announcing the caller.

I only have one more L640 (from AT&T). It's on WM10 and it does NOT have that option.

The one I gave to my father's wife is a T-Mobile so will have to wait until the next time I see it to check. I wonder if I don't see it on the AT&T L640 because no SIM is in that phone? Otherwise its more complicated than just model of phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Settings > Ease of Access > More Options > Use Speech to announce caller ID
Thanks!!! I turned that on on my L950XL. I see why I missed it before. Its under a heading of Visual Enhancements!?!

And I think a better description would be to announce contact ID rather than caller ID. I only get a number via caller ID from most calls. What got announced on her L521 is the name in the contact for that phone number. I know because she gave her contacts nicknames and that's what I'd hear being announced when she got a call.

I hope her L640 has this option. She has the same version of Windows as my L950XL but I checked another L640 I have which is on the same release of Windows and it does not have that option. That one is an AT&T variety and the one I gave her was the T-Mobile variant since she is on T-Mobile so she'd have Wi-fi calling. I'll check her phone the next time I see her.

Or maybe someone can confirm if it is on a T-Mobile L640 running WM10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes