DeX for Continuum?

JamilCh

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
So as we know the Samsung Dex has a typeC connector, this is a simple question actually, can the DeX Dock be used to enter continuum mode on the Lumia 950/XL? As in can it be a replacement to the Microsoft dock, so we could benefit from the cooling fan per example.

Last edited:

OnSr

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I would like to test this if I can on a store. In my personal opinion, it wouldn't work. Samsung DeX doesn't just scale the screen like Continuum, it does some simulation-emulation to get that desktop-like interface. It has a built-in fan due to the heat of emulation process.

tdavi82

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've seen previous posts that say the Dex Dock does work with Lumia 950. I tried my Galaxy S8 with continuum dock and it does not work properly. All it does it mirror the screen and it looks bad. :straight:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have seen reports where the DeX dock works with the 950. DeX is software driven and only works in conjunction with the Samsung dock. I tried to use DeX when I had an S8+ but it would only mirror as if it was on Miracast. I did try DeX at Best Buy with my phone on their dock and it didn't do it for me. There are only a handful of apps that work right now so unless it takes off, I don't see this being better than Continuum. Unless you really care about having multiple windows open simultaneously. I only have one set of eyes so the task switcher works just fine for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb