MS WTH - Is this a Joke.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...assword-phone-sign-in-for-microsoft-accounts/

So MS brings in new feature to IOS and Android. and what does it have to say about Windows phone/mobile.

[Update 4/18/17 3:08pm Pacific: A few people have asked if this works with Windows Phone version Microsoft Authenticator. Windows Phone makes up <5% of the active users of our Authenticator Apps so we have prioritized getting this working with iOS and Android for now. If/When it becomes a big success on those high scale platforms, we will evaluate adding support for Windows Phone.]

Is this a cruel joke or sad reality?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
You are essentially giving anyone who has your unlocked phone access to all your Microsoft accounts. Doesn't seem like great authentication, if that's your bag.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You are essentially giving anyone who has your unlocked phone access to all your Microsoft accounts. Doesn't seem like great authentication, if that's your bag.
Thats not the point here. Its a feature out there, lets users decide whether they want it or not, but the attitude of ms towards their own platform troubles me.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Thats not the point here. Its a feature out there, lets users decide whether they want it or not, but the attitude of ms towards their own platform troubles me.

MS isn't going to save its chances in mobile by throwing money at development. The windows store has 700,000 offerings. Google play has 2.8 million. It takes very smart strategy to bridge that gap.

MS has good growth in tablets. Their cloudbook and windows on arm initiatives are designed to break further into budget cellular PCs - Tablets, hybrids and laptops. They have a good shot at that, unlike winning marketshare in mobile. And if they succeed, developers of UWP will come. If that happens, mobile will become a possibility again.

MS is very lucky they have the laptop and desktop market to leverage, and a OS platform that runs brilliantly on tablets (and can do things the others can't there, such as run win32s and Ink). If they didn't have those, they'd have folded win 10 mobile over years ago, like blackberry did with BB10. But because they have, there is still hope for people wanting windows on a phone.

The trouble for you guys, is the strategic route into the phone market for MS, isn't through phones immediately. It's through tablets. When they have a strong tablet marketshare, the apps will be flowing and they can have a competitive offering on some form of pocket device.

In the meantime, mobile for them is more like a long burner, side project. Something they want to keep going, so they can return to, one day. Something they can basically "keep alive".

And, that's more than any other company in this situation would either do, or be able to do. Any other situation, and you'd have no updates, and the windows store would be dying, instead of slowly filling. If this was blackberry, Symbian, ios, android - and the makers had this sort of mobile marketshare, they'd likely have given up long ago.

MS does care about mobile. But it just cannot prioritize it. It has to come after basically everything else, after the software platform, after desktop, after tablets and laptops, after Cortana with bots, after the HoloLens etc. Because it is a part of their plan, I am positive, but it is a part of their plan that is dependant on all those other things.

Things have to come in a certain order, and a certain order of priority. I think if MS is successful in its bid for the budget tablet and laptop markets, we'll see a rise in UWPs. If Cortana with bots is a success, we'll see conversation as a platform take off. Those things in place, you should see a rising interest in pocket devices and wearables again from MS. Because then there will be a thriving ecosystem to support it. And most likely a few new hardware releases will come at exactly that time. But the platform/software itself has to come first, in order for pocket devices to be competitive, and profitable.

In some respects this resembles the pre-ipod years of apple. Where they ran everything lean, focused on future development, market plays, and cut costs, ran core business for profit. Sort of bidding ones time, while putting things in place. They reduced the number of models of mac to just one.

And I am sure that period of time annoyed plenty a mac user (such as those on the abandoned risc platform, or those who felt switching to intel was "selling out" to the enemy). But retrospectively I don't think anyone would regard it as bad for apple, or its consumers. They are now the number one dominant tech company profit wise, and have numerous products.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Basically while they are focusing on tablets, latops, desktops, sever, Cortana, HoloLens etc -

Any app that is primarily useful on a windows 10 mobile, rather than other devices, is going to be a secondary consideration. At least until windows on ARM comes out, and there a glut of other devices with LTE and calling. Fortunately windows on ARM comes out late this year, and that's been made official.

If you want to feel good about your windows 10 mobile situation, head over to our sister site, crackberry, and talk to some bb10 users :p

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile had become a internal joke at Microsoft now . This is just terrible

Sent from Idol 4s

If you would read the above post you would have a better idea of what may be happening. People not having patience, in an I want everything right now world, does not make MS a joke.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

I actually have to really disagree with that. In order for the above to be true it must also be true that the authentication of the phone, i.e. unlocking it, is easier than just accessing the user account directly and doing it there. In other words, getting into the phone has to be easier than getting into the account using a regular browser.

Now, while it's certainly true that one can get a pin code simply by looking at someone typing it on the phone you could do the same when people log into a desktop account, or, simply figure the password out.

However, the upside of this is that for users like me using an iris scanner to unlock the phone I just essentially got that functionality onto the computer. To me that seems like an improvement.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If you would read the above post you would have a better idea of what may be happening. People not having patience, in an I want everything right now world, does not make MS a joke.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
We've had patience since wp7 in 2010 with Microsoft and all this "soon" and coming weeks bs....how long are u willing to wait? Until you're dead?

Sent from Idol 4s

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
No insight, but even their employees aren't using this bs anymore they don't even care about the os

Sent from Idol 4s

Ok, so basically you're saying that it's a joke internally at MS, but really you have no clue if that's the case. It's about as valid a use of the phrase as the use of the word "dead" when used to talk about W10M.

I'm just so incredibly bored with all the negativity and all of the use of words that imply one thing then don't really mean that at all.

"They don't even care about the OS".

I'm tempted to ask you how you know their feelings about the OS, but I'm guessing that the answer will be that you don't have any insight into their feelings, so it's just more meaningless words...... Anyone can do that.... here:

Microsoft has promised to keep developing new Windows 10 Mobile phones. They will release a Surface Phone in August that is going to completely revolutionize the mobile smartphone industry. They're deeply committed to the platform and are in the process of doling out millions to app developers.

I mean, maybe. I don't really have any insight, but I think that's true, so that's what I'll say.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows...he-us-and-uk-according-to-kantars-latest-data

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
We've had patience since wp7 in 2010 with Microsoft and all this "soon" and coming weeks bs....how long are u willing to wait? Until you're dead?

Sent from Idol 4s

I have no idea what you're talking about. People have bought Windows 10 phones. Windows 10 phones, as far as I understand it, appeared after wp7 in 2010. So anyone who has waited for 7 years for something to supercede wp7 clearly didn't get the memo.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I actually have to really disagree with that. In order for the above to be true it must also be true that the authentication of the phone, i.e. unlocking it, is easier than just accessing the user account directly and doing it there. In other words, getting into the phone has to be easier than getting into the account using a regular browser.

Now, while it's certainly true that one can get a pin code simply by looking at someone typing it on the phone you could do the same when people log into a desktop account, or, simply figure the password out.

However, the upside of this is that for users like me using an iris scanner to unlock the phone I just essentially got that functionality onto the computer. To me that seems like an improvement.

Well if someone has access to the unlocked phone, they can use it in a small amount of time, to get access to it on their computer. That'd have to be someone who is close to you of course. But in a small window, they could gain private access to your account, on their own device. Say, a jelly GF for example.

For most purposes I am sure its fine. And its not like you can't use regular authentication via phone this way. So I suppose you are right!

Me, I'm the only one who has access to my PC and tablet, I don't use other devices, and I don't store credit card info on my phone, so factor authentication is more of a pain in the neck for me, than anything useful.

For some people I imagine its considerably more useful.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea what you're talking about. People have bought Windows 10 phones. Windows 10 phones, as far as I understand it, appeared after wp7 in 2010. So anyone who has waited for 7 years for something to supercede wp7 clearly didn't get the memo.
We've been waiting on apps to come been since 7 been waiting on alot and all we received was apps pulling out of the store, dropped device support and no new hardware....but of course the next refresh will be the best just like 7 was just like 8 and 8.1 was and just like 10 and the uwp will bring the developers right? They will string you along now ...7 years nothing has picked up the app situation is worst than ever, the hardware os lacking, Lumia is dead....but of course the next refresh will finally gain market share a d developers to the OS.... Keep being patient and wasting your money if u want

Sent from Idol 4s

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
We've been waiting on apps to come been since 7 been waiting on alot and all we received was apps pulling out of the store, dropped device support and no new hardware....but of course the next refresh will be the best just like 7 was just like 8 and 8.1 was and just like 10 and the uwp will bring the developers right? They will string you along now ...7 years nothing has picked up the app situation is worst than ever, the hardware os lacking, Lumia is dead....but of course the next refresh will finally gain market share a d developers to the OS.... Keep being patient and wasting your money if u want

Sent from Idol 4s

Which apps have pulled out of the store?

UWP doesn't depend on phones. Tablet and desktop users use them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750