Do phishing emails pose much threat to WP 10?

Miles Nadin

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I've read all the posts regarding why Windows Phones don't need antivirus software (very informative, thanks!) however this query arisen from a stupid move earlier: I opened an email from MS (allegedly) upgrade my account or it'd be closed - pretty used to these and would usually be sent straight to the spam filter. However, quick check of the From Address appeared kosher so opened it - at this point went to delete & simply open account via profile.
Big clumsy fingers hit the link in the phishing email instead - should have seen me panic trying to close Edge before it opened properly, lol!
Obviously next time I opened Edge the tab already created and believe page blocked "can't reach this page" message and erroneous URL in the address bar so certainly a dodgy email.
Is there any danger to my saved sites and / or passwords ie should I be deleting / replacing them in a hurry?
Phone left off currently until sure - as passwords synced I'm using alternative account until sure it's safe to open again

Last edited:

Starboy21

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Well there r different cases like

1. The site u visited cud hav asked for ur personal detail(name,email,password) n then saved them so the creator of the fake website can hav ur info n this is universal i mean this is the same even if u visit it thru a wp or android or ur pc

2. When the site u visit is attached with a virus where the virus is designed for an Android phone or a pc or lap where u will be safe u might hav seen ads saying ur android version is old upgrade to newer version here on a wp device

3. Where the site is attached with a virus designed for wp whose chances r low as who wud want to target 1% of users and lower their chances of getting more info

Well in ur case as the email was related to ur ms acc maybe the site was designed for wp or cud hav been made for pc whose chances r high as there r so many windows users compared to windows mobile users so u cud be safe but u shud change ur password just to make sure..

Miles Nadin

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Phishing and virus are two different things, no?
As far as I'm aware phishing gets you to open a dodgy website which is able to either read your saved passwords directly while most virus' simply cause damage - unless Trojan in which case (as the name implies) opening up a back door for hackers to get in? On PC/Laptop anyway - apparently Windows Phones are virus-proof according to another thread on this forum

Miles Nadin

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks very much indeed for clearing that up - hopefully MS a/c should be safe as two-factor authentication in use - it was password manager within edge I was concerned about.
The page never opened so no details were entered, that's safe enough I believe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire