Microsoft's wind-down of its phone business "expected to be completed by end of June!"

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Microsoft admits Windows Phone is a dead platform... :(

It does make sense considering that their last phone release is more than a year ago.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's wind-down of its phone business is "expected to be completed by the end of the curre

What did not help was people hanging on to their 3 year old devices and not upgrading to the 950's.

Had everyone who had an old Lumia gone out and bought a 950 then the platform might be in a better state.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's wind-down of its phone business is "expected to be completed by the end of the curre

What did not help was people hanging on to their 3 year old devices and not upgrading to the 950's.

Had everyone who had an old Lumia gone out and bought a 950 then the platform might be in a better state.
Everyone couldn't update to that phone there was alot of Verizon and sprint customers that couldn't use the phone

Sent from Idol 4s

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's wind-down

Yes, yes. I'm quite happy with my 950, and unless it will be over two years from now (and the 950 still works - i.e. no spilled liquids), I won't be buying the next windows phone (first or third party). I am not buying phones to "save" a company or a platform. I'm buying and using a phone to get work done. When I feel it's getting long in the tooth, and there actually is a phone I feel would be worth it (i.e. increase my productivity), I will buy it. Not before that. The same goes for computers, and everything else. I don't necessarily need the latest. I alway buy at the top of a market at the time of purchase, in the expectation that it will last a while.

Obviously, that means being aware of what one's needs are, and being able to tell the difference between the latest and supposedly greatest, and what is actually the best item for one's needs.

Again, don't blame the frigging customers not buying anything and everything a company puts out in the market place. That's ridiculous. We are not mindless Apple customers who will often admit to be willing to buy anything as long it has an apple on it.

https://www.google.dk/search?client...y+anything+apple&oq=I+will+buy+anything+apple

Last edited:

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Everyone couldn't update to that phone there was alot of Verizon and sprint customers that couldn't use the phone

Sent from Idol 4s

I am talking worldwide not just the USA.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

If they brought a 650 it would also reflect on market share. You don't have to buy a flagship to be counted.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It's like a vicious circle here. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone. MOBILE WAS CALLED DEAD OVER A YEAR AGO. Does anyone here read? The future is Win10 on ARM. Whether that form factor is a <6" device or not has yet to be seen. I personally believe it will. Either way, just deal with it guys. Jesus. There will no longer be anything after Windows 10 "xxxx", we don't call the OS on a tablet Windows 10 Tablet, do we? It's not just reading between the lines, it's just plain old reading.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's like a vicious circle here. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone. MOBILE WAS CALLED DEAD OVER A YEAR AGO. Does anyone here read? The future is Win10 on ARM. Whether that form factor is a <6" device or not has yet to be seen. I personally believe it will. Either way, just deal with it guys. Jesus. There will no longer be anything after Windows 10 "xxxx", we don't call the OS on a tablet Windows 10 Tablet, do we? It's not just reading between the lines, it's just plain old reading.

People don't want to give up their current mobile device, and that's understandable, but you are correct. We are moving in a new direction that should not be a surprise. People need to decide what works best for them. Complaining will not help.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I'll be glad once this news becomes official. It's way overdue. Windows Phone is running as a joke in most parts of the internet/world. It's time to bury it while it still has a shred of dignity.

Once everyone has had a couple years to move on MS can take a stab at things again, after the stink of the WP era has wafted away. Maybe they'll even just converge ARM based devices into more mobile, portable ones as time goes on. It's the sort of Trojan horse method most of us are expecting anyhow.

Either way, people will need time to heal. The passion in these forums is real. People are STILL suggesting Windows Phones to friends and family. It's a mistake, well intentioned or not. With that kind of fire in the veins I don't want to see what the fallout is going to look like once this is offical. But regardless of the fans feelings the band-aid approach is the best anyone can expect at this point. Rip it off as quick as possible, let them deal with the emotional fallout, let them move on, and then try to win them back later. Provide what was promised up-front instead of dragging fans through the mud for years on end. Respect them. It's the only way Windows will find their way into mobile ever again.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree that windows 10 mobile is 'dead', changing absolutely, however there are still a fair few variables at play. There are other windows mobile phones still being released at the moment.

Windows on arm, whilst I agree that's the future, that future can't be absolute quite yet, to go all in and kill mobile outright loses all budget and mid range phones. And that wouldn't be a problem if carriers were on board but they ain't, a slower approach is wiser I think.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
There are other windows mobile phones still being released at the moment.

I'm curious about this one. Phones such as?... I'm not seeing anything down anyone's pipeline. Even if you were to say HP or someone is making another device that's not really indicative of anything. Companies produce items well after the 11th hour all the time, especially third parties. People still made HD-DVD's right up until the moment it was announced it would no longer be supported. Businesses will stretch the truth as long as they can once the writing is on the wall. Not just to protect themselves (have to pull in EVERY bit of cash flow you can while the product chokes) but their partners as well.

Windows on arm, whilst I agree that's the future, that future can't be absolute quite yet, to go all in and kill mobile outright loses all budget and mid range phones.

What budget? In MS's own words the revenue from mobile is negligible. They're literally not making money on WP, if not outright losing money at this point. There very likely isn't enough revenue there to justify the continued expenses and employees time on such projects. Besides, Windows Phone was never meant to be a loss leader. It was meant to be "the" leader that tied you into the MS system. With their intended leader out of the race it makes more sense to find a new one.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Wileyfox is releasing a Windows phone soon.
Whartonbrooks is trying to release a Windows phone.
HP perhaps?

Yup that's some of the ones I'm aware of. In the uk, companies like bush often churn out a mid range or budget windows phone every now and then as well.

For me mobile has to remain until the transition to arm is wider. At the moment it's only top spec arm chips that will be able to do this, so, budget phones and mid range phones will be out of the question. In a year or two, mid range will likely be able to run the arm windows. Until then I think they need to at least keep mobile ticking over.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
The Wileyfox thing is... eh. That's not going to leave a visible footprint anywhere and they're a virtually unknown third-party. Microsoft owes them nothing as far as a heads up goes. Plus the device is targeting business, not consumer.

Whartonbrooks attempt is already doomed. They're nowhere near the funding goal and the same thing I mentioned above applies to them minus the business part.

HP had that blip at MW2017 but it hasn't resulted in any announcement. And again it's being pushed for business, not consumer.

I understand the desire to keep the fire going but all three of those aren't even kindling. They're not even in a pipeline so far as we know. They're rumors and possibilities but they're not actual confirmed devices we're seeing. Wileyfox's device is as close as it gets and ANYTHING could happen between the supposed August announcement and Build 2017.

That's not very promising.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's wind-down of its phone business &quot;expected to be completed by end of June!&quot;

We'll see. With the changes coming to the Windows mobile platform, they just need a couple bridge devices for those with older ones.
My Idol 4s, for instance, will easily get me there.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This is probably due to contract responsibilities/business reasons, and avoiding damaging relationships with OEMs (ahem, HP) who Microsoft relies on, on the PC side. They likely don't want a repeat of the Kin cancellation, that forever poisoned Microsoft's relationship with Verizon, and left the carrier with virtually worthless stock of feature phones that they had to take losses on.
So, there'll never be some big public announcement that they're pulling the plug on W10M, but their actions, or lack of, have been saying that very same thing for some time now.

Yup as I said a few weeks ago mobile has entered maintenance mode, the only reason we have this release 2 crap is contractual obligations, After those are fulfilled mobile 10 will be no longer developed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo