BUILD 2017 - Windows Mobile OS News

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree that, there isn't negativity, only an overdue sense of realism. If articles on this site, still tried to push the casual reader to invest in $300+ Windows phones, claiming that the platform has a bright future of years of updates and loads of developer support, it'd be the height of irresponsibility.

If you buy a phone now running Windows, go ahead and enjoy it, as you're probably an enthusiast, but do so with your eyes wide open about the state of the platform and its foggy future and the paucity of developer support.

Even so, since most devices are no longer available at retail (and none look to be on the horizon), you're probably buying refurbished or second hand on eBay or Swappa, so be a cautious buyer and try to get the best deal possible.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I heard HP is releasing a follow up to the x3. Could be a rumour IDK.

I'd take that rumour with a healthy dose of salt. And if there is one, dollars-to-donuts, it'll run a Microsoft-ised version of Android, a la the Galaxy S8.

At this point, at the dire state of the Windows mobile platform, I can't see how any HP executive can make an argument for an x3 follow up running Windows 10 Mobile, especially since Microsoft is very obviously moving to Windows on ARM.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This site isn't any worse than any other site out there. In fact, it's a whole lot better. Just look at MSPowerUser. Every writer over there spends all of their time pandering to the gossip, rumors, and fear. It's a fart fest over there. Which is sad because they actually have a pretty nice UWA.

This site is just taking the information it has and writing about it. Yes, it's all speculation and such, and most of it is decidedly negative, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's all doom and gloom out there. It just means tech sites are honestly having trouble finding positive things to write about. And I think, here, the fault goes to Microsoft for not doing a better job at communicating with their consumers.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'd take that rumour with a healthy dose of salt. And if there is one, dollars-to-donuts, it'll run a Microsoft-ised version of Android, a la the Galaxy S8.

At this point, at the dire state of the Windows mobile platform, I can't see how any HP executive can make an argument for an x3 follow up running Windows 10 Mobile, especially since Microsoft is very obviously moving to Windows on ARM.

Surely the could make that argument if the x3 makes them profit. It would be even more compelling if cshell is close, which probably HP knows better than us. Neither of those things, I personally have insider info about, although MS has said that cshell for win10mobile is close reasonably recently (in fact, like the people feature it was supposed to be in the CU)

MS have explained that their priority with arm is tablets, hybrids, notebooks and servers, not phones. I don't think its realistic to expect an arm phone soon. Such devices are also new chip, and high end. And windows 10 proper is a real time multi-tasking environment that would need serious power consumption tuning before being competitive on a smartphone.

MS are still developing windows 10 mobile, and anyone on the insiders ring knows that's the case. Nope, nothing very obvious about that IMO. Will there eventually be windows on arm phones? Probably. Will it entirely displace win10 mobile? Hard to say, they might actually just have different niches like windows cloud and windows proper. Is any of that happening soon? Unlikely, because windows on arm is primarily for the tablet/notebook and server market, and MS wants to dominate those as priorities first.

For the reasonable time being, windows 10 mobile is the smartphone platform, its still getting some exciting developments, and HP might just be the ideal ones to capitalize on those given both the Cortana skills api, and cshell driven continuum can be used as productivity features.

Reynaldo Saavedra

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Guys as a 5 year old Windows phone user I can only say it is a great phone does all the things I need my phone to do and takes great pisctures I had 2 Lumias 920 and now own al 950 XL that Works perfect and I love Cortana, I hope Microsoft holds up to the WPhone platform and give Us some hope for the future!!!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well turns out there was some good news at build. Win10mobile has the most support for Cortana skills api (versus android and ios, where some skills and features will not work). It'll also be the most capable at using "timelines" via "MS graph" due to sharing UWPs with PC.

And we are bound to get those fluid design updates (at minimum via uwas, but I would guess in general) - which look absolutely beautiful.

I actually agree now with the previous poster that an "open arms" approach with other platforms like ios and android will benefit windows in the long term.

While users on other platforms and software platforms struggle with device compatibility in a sea of diverse devices, users of Windows and MS products will enjoy greater intergration between ever device they use regardless of platform. It's absolutely a good thing that Windows and MS products will work better with iOS and Android, than the other way around.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
They've been saying windows phone is dead for longer that's it's been alive in it's current form. The major reboot to windows phone 7 happened in 2010. By 2013 some stuff had happened (Nokia, burning platform, OEM's dropping support, lack of developer and consumer interest, etc, etc) and the world was saying windows phone was dead. Here we are...mid 2017...and we're all still using windows phones. It ain't dead until the very last person stops using it. Hell, there are still millions and millions of blackberry users out there and that platform properly died years ago

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Joe Belford retweeted the following article. While he didn't say W10M is ending, they are certainly making sure windows user like MS apps on their non WM phone as their mobile strategy.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15621428/microsoft-cross-device-ios-android-apps

Nice to have Microsoft NOT acting like apple and google, and playing nice. Benefits consumers a lot.

So long as you still have the richer intergration of core services like Cortana (ie skills), and the new timeline etc (via more UWP crossover), you still benefit more than they will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786