BUILD 2017 - Windows Mobile OS News

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I've just cancelled my order for an Elite X3 after looking through the articles and forums of this website. It's funny that after all my research on the Elite X3 that it was actually a Windows "fan site" that persuaded me not to buy a Windows powered phone. I've cancelled my order just to be cautious and can easily re-order if I get some official news that Windows on mobile has a future. And that's the thing. I have been persuaded to cancel my order by what I've read on Windows Central, but, everything I have read, although convincing, has been purely speculation and theory.

My question for this thread is this; will we get some official news from Microsoft during BUILD 2017 about the future of Windows on Mobile? If not then I won't re-order, if we do and it's positive news I'll re-order that day and settle with it. And this is the thing, Microsoft, through their silence and ambiguity are actively damaging the Windows Mobile brand by fuelling the negative journalism you find on this website, and forum. They are thus by extension damaging their reputation as a whole which will hurt their profits in other areas.

BUILD 2017, with regards to Windows Mobile, seems like Microsoft's last chance to repair relationships with fans and developers. Even if the news is negative, people deserve to know once and for all so that they can make sound investments with their time and money. I might not be happy with negative news, but at least I'll feel like I can somewhat trust Microsoft again.

What do you all think?

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Many editorial Windows phone sites change the mind of many fans,I understand the state of what's going on, one converted many to Windows phone and they all use 950/XL and continue to do so, we try to think only about the positives and recommend the positives about the ecosystem, that being said compare the last 15 articles or so from this website and all aboutwindowsphone , I haven't checked site in a while, they continue to do what many Windows phone sites do little of

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Even when you get news from MS you can't trust it until it's officially in the product. Sadly, even then it can still be pulled. The Android bridge is the best example of this. The iOS bridge was oversold. Xamarmin along with the Linux subsystem was the push last year and that had more to do with courting android and iOS devs to stick with the MS dev stack than anything else.

I do believe there will be a big mobile push, and maybe we'll be lucky to see it within A year, not the year. Even if win 10 on arm is going to ship as part of RS3, I personally wouldn't want the early versions. I was one of the fools that waited in line for surface RT.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Its really sad that a site like this breeds so much negativity to drive people away from the platform.

All I can tell you is this. I recently bought an Idol 4s. I can't tell you the last time I enjoyed a smartphone so much. It does everything i need and does it well. While we don't know the future of W10M, we do know the present. I will not let negativity drive me away from my chosen platform. My phone will not suddenly stop working anytime soon. Therefore, I will continue to use what I chose for the foreseeable future. You need to decide what is best for you. Best of luck.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The negativity comes in like bloody waves, post after post, thread after thread, ad infinitum
Gimme a break. It's just a phone.

... !!

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
The negativity comes in like bloody waves, post after post, thread after thread, ad infinitum
Gimme a break. It's just a phone.

... !!

I completely agree with all the replies. I really do think Windows Central needs to change its tune. I mean there has been absolutely NOTHING official to back up any of the speculations and theories I've read. Yet the sheer relentless nature of the negativity has influenced me.

I think if you're a fan and an enthusiast, which I assume is what this forum is for, that you're supposed to enjoy and big up what you're a fan off. I mean, even if Windows mobile as an OS was dead, let's just imagine Microsoft actually announced it was dead, you'd expect a FAN to still be singing its praises as that's what a fan does. Makes the forum very suspect that it's completely the opposite and we've not head anything official.

I'm trying to ignore the naysayers and have in fact just ordered a Lumia 950 XL instead of the Elite X3. It's cheaper but still a great phone with an incredible camera. I expect it will still work beautifully well into next year. I would still like an official state during BUILD 2017 however, just to put a stop to all the negative speculation if nothing else.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with all the replies. I really do think Windows Central needs to change its tune. I mean there has been absolutely NOTHING official to back up any of the speculations and theories I've read. Yet the sheer relentless nature of the negativity has influenced me.

I think if you're a fan and an enthusiast, which I assume is what this forum is for, that you're supposed to enjoy and big up what you're a fan off. I mean, even if Windows mobile as an OS was dead, let's just imagine Microsoft actually announced it was dead, you'd expect a FAN to still be singing its praises as that's what a fan does. Makes the forum very suspect that it's completely the opposite and we've not head anything official.

I'm trying to ignore the naysayers and have in fact just ordered a Lumia 950 XL instead of the Elite X3. It's cheaper but still a great phone with an incredible camera. I expect it will still work beautifully well into next year. I would still like an official state during BUILD 2017 however, just to put a stop to all the negative speculation if nothing else.

That's probably a smart compromise on your part. Still a great phone and will continue to work well in the future. Enjoy and stay positive. There are many more like us out there.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

Most of it is speculation, I think the tragic reality is this - negative speculation generates clicks for windows central, that's the conclusion I am drawing anyway.

Personally, it's alive just now, thats all we can know for sure, the rest is speculation. So my view is, is it good? Yup. Do I like using it? Yup, so I will. What happens in the future no one knows but I really am no longer convinced it's dead, this has been proclaimed for all the time I have been on this site, still it's going.

Build will probably be a discouragement, I'm not optimistic on that score but it doesn't change the fact the phone is good and of the three os options it's the best one for me.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
If you like the hardware and the OS and Windows 10 Mobile has the apps you want then go for it.

I have a 950 that I have had since it was released.

I have been very happy with the phone and I have seen Windows 10 Mobile mature since I ran the first fast ring builds on my 1020.

I think Windows 10 Mobile should see you through to whatever comes next with Windows 10 on ARM.

MS are still rolling out fast ring builds for mobile so it's only going to get more stable.

It all depends on what you want to do.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
That's probably a smart compromise on your part. Still a great phone and will continue to work well in the future. Enjoy and stay positive. There are many more like us out there.

Actually I would trust HP Elite x3 more than Lumia 950 XL if I could afford one because the phone has better hardware and we saw W10 on ARM run on a Snapdragon 820 so if any magic by Microsoft comes out it is more likely that the Elite x3 will get it (and that is one big IF). Microsoft can't just leave HP out in cold for making a Windows Phone (most people probably thought that was insane anyways). Buying an x3 really would be bigger risk, but buying the 950 XL is a better choice as you can get one really cheap these days and you don't know if MS is going to kill W10M or not, hope you'll enjoy it as I enjoy my 950!

Also if you didn't use Windows Phone I hope you are aware of the app situation (not negativity, just warning) and feature2 thing. Those articles were not just theories, Daniel Rubino and Zac Bowden said that they got different info from different sources so all we can say is that we can't know for sure what is going to happen.

Again, I am not a hater, I am on board with Windows phones since 2014, but looking just from a fan's perspective can be irrational.

We can't know what will they say on Build, but I still think it's likely that they will tell us what's going on because it's in their best interest to keep developers informed about what they are going to do with Mobile as it's part of the UWP.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't believe Windows Central is intentionally fostering any negativity regarding the future of Windows Mobile. With all their recent articles the negativity to be found there is deserved, not malicious. To be anything but critical of recent events would be irresponsible towards consumers.

Look, people can continue to love Windows Phone all they want but lets be real: No one should be wasting other consumers time or money. If Windows Mobile doesn't have a future then everyone who has already invested will need to bear the brunt of their decision to support the platform themselves. People who have yet to invest in the platform, but are considering doing so, deserve a realistic view of the current situation and the potential future. That outlook isn't good. No one wants to hear tales come June that "Windows Central was so sold on Windows Phone a month ago! I spent $700 on this phone and now it'll never see updates or apps again!"

Windows Central isn't being negative, they're being responsible. Just because fans of the platform may not wish to hear the bad news doesn't mean it's going to go away.

In regards to your cancelling of the Elite x3 purchase Op I have to say, smart move. Good on you for actually taking the time to do research, then back out and decide to reassess the situation later as things become more clear. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

If rumors hold true then we'll know the fate of Windows mobile come Build 2017 or June. So very soon. I would strongly suggest holding onto your current device for the time being so you can make a more informed decision in a couple weeks.

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Cheers. I've actually had a Lumia 950 XL in the past and absolutely loved the camera, but the software was too buggy and I needed something reliable as I used to travel a lot and like to keep in touch with family. I know a lot of the software issues I faced have been fixed and some of the pictures I took with the 950 XL are the best pictures I've taken with a mobile so I'm excited to use one again. I did see the X3 as the better option in terms of future proofing my phone, but with all the negative press around the future of Windows mobile I'm not sure the extra money on the X3 would be money well spent.

Has Rubino or Bowden named these sources? Gossip in the tech industry is worse than a village wives meeting. Unless they can name and quote their sources then as far as I'm concerned they're just repeating gossip. It might be true gossip, but it can hardly be thought of as reliable at the present moment until we learn more.

I've actually got 14 days to return the 950 XL which will take me past BUILD 2017. Hopefully they do make an announcement on Windows mobile and it is positive news. Even if they say it's ending but will be supported for the next year or 2 then I'll be happy. I can't see one of the largest tech companies in the world bowing out of the mobile market, it's just insanity. I don't think they have a choice but to compete. Leave it to Google and Apple and they'll effectively be handing the future to those companies.

Oh well, they're my thoughts on the issue. Less than 2 weeks to BUILD 2017 and hopefully this forum can move away from this dreary, solemn and dull topic, and onto more positive and exciting news. In other words, hopefully it will start to reflect an actual FAN site.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Its really sad that a site like this breeds so much negativity to drive people away from the platform.

All I can tell you is this. I recently bought an Idol 4s. I can't tell you the last time I enjoyed a smartphone so much. It does everything i need and does it well. While we don't know the future of W10M, we do know the present. I will not let negativity drive me away from my chosen platform. My phone will not suddenly stop working anytime soon. Therefore, I will continue to use what I chose for the foreseeable future. You need to decide what is best for you. Best of luck.

Exactly, it runs better than my 950XL except for the camera and it's pretty good in regular light conditions. My wife loves the Idol 4s

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Cheers. I've actually had a Lumia 950 XL in the past and absolutely loved the camera, but the software was too buggy and I needed something reliable as I used to travel a lot and like to keep in touch with family. I know a lot of the software issues I faced have been fixed and some of the pictures I took with the 950 XL are the best pictures I've taken with a mobile so I'm excited to use one again. I did see the X3 as the better option in terms of future proofing my phone, but with all the negative press around the future of Windows mobile I'm not sure the extra money on the X3 would be money well spent.

Has Rubino or Bowden named these sources? Gossip in the tech industry is worse than a village wives meeting. Unless they can name and quote their sources then as far as I'm concerned they're just repeating gossip. It might be true gossip, but it can hardly be thought of as reliable at the present moment until we learn more.

I've actually got 14 days to return the 950 XL which will take me past BUILD 2017. Hopefully they do make an announcement on Windows mobile and it is positive news. Even if they say it's ending but will be supported for the next year or 2 then I'll be happy. I can't see one of the largest tech companies in the world bowing out of the mobile market, it's just insanity. I don't think they have a choice but to compete. Leave it to Google and Apple and they'll effectively be handing the future to those companies.

Oh well, they're my thoughts on the issue. Less than 2 weeks to BUILD 2017 and hopefully this forum can move away from this dreary, solemn and dull topic, and onto more positive and exciting news. In other words, hopefully it will start to reflect an actual FAN site.
Both seem to be saying on twitter that windows 10 mobile is not dead. Seems a slight adjustment has happened from previous more negative stuff. They are speaking about leaks, I assume about build, I'm hoping that is positive news about windows mobile and not simply about some pointless gaming box that is called an Xbox :)

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm glad you're enjoying the Alcatel Idol 4s Windows phone bro, i'm to test drive one sometime in two weeks, i'm using 950 XL and I truly enjoy it , glad you're enjoying yours mate.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Cshell and the Cortana skill api intergration are both due soon. They were announced as coming to all platforms. I personally am expecting to here something about that, at either the may 6 spring conference or build 2017 - if I do, I'll pull the trigger on a windows phone.

If I don't, I'll probably wait awhile until I hear something definitive. I have a functional phone already, so not in a rush.

I do expect to hear something though. I don't expect it will be a major announcement, or anything like it, but if these two things are still coming to mobile, as they were announced to, then that's good enough for me.

They both could bring a lot of significant features (such as a much more powerful Cortana, that theoretically should just get smarter and smarter over time, and continuum that is more like a full desktop experience), and at least the UWP platform is propped up by tablets, hybrids and desktops, which are markets in which windows has strength.

I think there is some kind of future likely in pocket, or wearable devices. The exact manifestation of which depends on too many things. I don't think there is cause to replace windows 10 mobile in the smartphone area in the next year or two, given MS will want to focus on notebooks and tablets with LTE and calling (which should also help with UWPs).

The distant future is unknown, tech markets are changeable. Even the immediate future of windows on pocket devices depends on how their unification and other plans are received.

But for the immediate future of windows 10 mobile, I am like you, waiting for build. I'll believe MS over speculation any day.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh, and I heard HP is releasing a follow up to the x3. Could be a rumour IDK.

MS does have plans to re-approach mobile I am sure. ATM it appears to be through taking tablet marketshare and notebooks further, by windows arm/windows cloud and general platform unification (including the yucky console you don't like!). Longer term strategies like conversation as a platform, AR, and the patented folding oled screens.

Cshell is a major one. If project scorpio runs a "console cshell" of windows 10, and there's also windows on arm, and windows cloud - that's a host of devices running both UWP and UWA, and some serious momentum behind the windows store, theoretically. That unification could be the thing that draws developers, increases device interopability, and gives MS the leverage it needs to finally tackle phones, smarthomes and wearables with some gusto.

I find it also intriguing that harmon kardon and xiaomi are buddying up with MS. They produce a lot of smart home devices and wearables between them. Seems like the plans are all in place, and to me, it actually doesn't look like MS has abandoned the smartphone market - rather a long play, to overwhelm it with external force.

But windows 10 mobile itself, as a windows 10 variant. That _might_ not have a long term future, IDK. Or it might, and its not like every device under the sun is going to have 4gb of ram and a sparkly high end chipset any time soon.

But for me personally, life breathed into UWP, Cortana skills api, and cshell for continuum would be enough even if its future is shorter and they intend on a refresh via windows on arm later. Although theres a sense in which that isn't entirely ideal, at least yet - full windows is a realtime OS. Mobile OSes typically aren't for battery reasons.

So after all that rambling, my feeling is, its not over. That at least in the medium term win 10 mobile has a purpose that is hard to meet any other way, and MS hasn't given up on the smartphone market, simply they are gathering forces, so to speak. So long as they are making money, not loosing it, its not a big deal for them commercially anyway.

Last edited:

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I find it also intriguing that harmon kardon and xiaomi are buddying up with MS.
And there you have what I think is going to eventually happen. While buying Nokia and trying to dominate the market was a non-starter, ensuring MS apps are available on WM10, Ios, and Android is a good thing.

I just remembered one thing I really disliked about Android. Not sure if this is an Iphone issue also. I turned on my SGS6 this morning and got a "which app do you want to use" question because an app had updated and was no longer default.

Screenshot_20170501-071224.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb