Windows Phone Onstar app

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I received a letter from OnStar stating that later in the year they would be shutting down their app for Windows Phone and Blackberry.

I think this will be it for me (for now). I was recently looking at a home security system. I found nothing that had an app for Windows Mobile (or even Windows 10 for desktop). I got around this by purchasing a cheap android tablet that I keep in my computer bag. Unfortunately this workaround isn't going to do it for OnStar. I just use it on my phone too often when mobile.

I was trying to hold out with my 950 until next year to see if anything looks like it's in the pipeline. But I'll like look for an Android solution for now. I'm still a big fan of the Windows Phone OS but until they can turn things around I'll need a different daily driver. I'm still going to keep my 950 updated and my 640 on the Insider program so I can monitor any new progress.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Didn't they "shut it down" a while ago? It still works just fine for me. I know on iOS and Android they transitioned from the RemoteLink app to myChevrolet, myBuick, etc. I'm sure they won't do the same for W10M, but until it doesn't work any longer I will keep using. If they are not going to update it any longer that is ok. Really I just use it to check the battery on my Volt.

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I've only been using OnStar for a few months so I don't know about being shut down before. I don't have the letter here in front of me but it sounded as if the app would cease working when they shut it down. They also specifically mentioned myChevrolet, myBuick, etc... I'd stick with it if I knew it would continue to work. I'll re-read it when I get home later

BTW I really like those Volts. I'd pick one of those over a Prius any day.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would be interested to see what the letter says, I didn't get one.

I found the post someone made last year, which seems like they got the same message from GM back in September of last year.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/441023-onstar-app.html

At that time I did send them a request for a Windows app, but didn't get a response. I guess they figure that 99.X% of people have either iphone or Android, so they are covered with just those two app systems. Hopefully they leave the Windows RemoteLink go as it still works, and I don't need the branding of the new "myXXXX" apps.

The myChevrolet app does work a lot better now then when it first came out. It was really bad before, but now just as fast as RemoteLink.

The Volt is a great car. I can't say enough good things about it. Its kind of amazing how many "gearheads" have one as a second or third car. They are actually fun to drive, which is something I never thought I would say about a green car after driving so many performance cars in the past. I can now charge at work as well as at home so my 60 mile commute never uses any gas. I only use it when I have extra trips to make. I have over 4000 miles on my current tank of gas, and have only used 6.4 gallons of gas. Also the car has been very reliable, and almost problem free (ironically the only real issue I have had has been with the gas engine, but was covered under warranty). If I were to buy a new car again though I would probably be looking at the Bolt. The gas engine in the Volt is nice so that it can be used on longer trips, but the Bolt has 238 miles of range, and we have a Suburban that we use for longer trips anyway.

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Below is the text of the letter. It doesn't specifically say it will quit working. It just says to continue using the mobile app you need android or iOS. However, it does say that this is due to an impending update to the apps which Windows and Blackberry won't get. I think the windows app will either cease functioning or will have limited functionality.

I went to www.onstar.com/mobileapp as suggested in the letter but found no information on the change. I guess I'll need to call to find out what will actually happen.

In order to continue providing the best mobile app experience, we will be implementing a system change to the 0nStar
RemoteLink mobile app* later this year. This will discontinue RemoteLink mobile app support for your BlackBerry or Windows Smartphone. To continue using the mobile application, it will require a Google Android or Apple iOS device meeting the minimum operating system requirements. This update will also impact the myChevrolet, myBuick, myCadillac or my GMC mobile apps. More information can be found at www.onstar.com/mobileapp.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at
1.888.4.0NSTAR (1.888.466.7827} Monday through Sunday, 7 a.m. -10 p.m. ET. When you call, please choose prompts and then 3
again so we may connect you to the appropriate agent. .
Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely,
On Star Customer Service Team

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I am sure you can save a tile on your phone for the "On Star" website like I did for my Credit Union. It's just like using the app on my Android phone. The only feature I am missing is the direct deposit feature which is mostly a hit and miss anyway on my Android device.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
BTW I really like those Volts. I'd pick one of those over a Prius any day.
Meh, the Volt is too small. Even the redesign leaves it a 2+2 sub compact. Love the engine though. I have the Voltec in my '16 Malibu hybrid. Unfortunately it only has Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

I also got the letter. Bummer.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am sure you can save a tile on your phone for the "On Star" website like I did for my Credit Union. It's just like using the app on my Android phone. The only feature I am missing is the direct deposit feature which is mostly a hit and miss anyway on my Android device.

I don't think the website offers any of the remote features that the app does, at least not that I can find.

Meh, the Volt is too small. Even the redesign leaves it a 2+2 sub compact. Love the engine though. I have the Voltec in my '16 Malibu hybrid. Unfortunately it only has Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

I also got the letter. Bummer.

Works just fine for our family of 4. Mostly just commuting and local weekend trips.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
In order to continue providing the best mobile app experience, we will ... discontinue RemoteLink mobile app support for your BlackBerry or Windows Smartphone.
Most companies aren't brave enough to admit their apps are NOT better than nothing.

Which may be true. My only interest in the OnStar app was to pre-load navigation. Unfortunately it was unreliable enough to be unusable.

There are two options to load a destination. One is for people who don't have Navigation in the car and that may works. But the app doesn't use the same maps as the ones in the car. So if you send a destination to the car's nav with the app there is a chance the car's maps don't include the destination the app was able to find. When that happens, the in-car navigation either gives you directions to one end of the road the address is on, or directions to the center of the city the address is in. And there is NO indication this is what's happening. If you're lucky you will have some sense of the geography and realize it before you drive many miles out of the way.

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

There's a reply to the story on the main page from someone who called onstar about the current app. He was told the app would continue to function but would not get updates. If that is the case I would be fine with it.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would be fine with that too. It works fine in the current state, and I don't need the extra features that the "my" apps have (owner's manuals, etc.). I disabled them all on Android and iOS when I used them anyway, just cluttered things up IMHO.

yipsan

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Volt owner here too, love it. I am disappointed that there is no app for searching charging stations anymore. While the onstar app can do it, it can only do it on your current location. I am glad if the app keeps on working.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

That is what I did for GasBuddy. Works about as well as the APP did.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It may have stopped working now, at least if you sign out you might not be able to sign back in. I am basing this on my experience. Did a hard reset on my phone and now I can't sign back in, just get an error :(

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This is what I get when I try to log in now. No number of retries seems to make it work. It does give a different message if you use the wrong password, so it seems like the app communicates with the Onstar system at least a little bit, but after the authentication step it gets an error.

Anyone else seeing this? (If you are logged in now, you probably shouldn't log out to try)

Attachments

• A__05FB.jpg
    A__05FB.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 3

kempint

May 15, 2017
Visit site
After I received the letter, I called OnStar and they indicated that it would probably be sometime early fall when they shut down thw Windows Phone App. They are upgrading their systems and when the new system goes live, it won't support Windows. their order of shutdown is Blackberry first, then older iPhone IOS's and finally Windows.
So far I have lost 2 Apps this spring, OnStar and Gasbuddy. OnStar is not a biggie for me as I rarely use it, maybe once every couple of months for key fob commands.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I saw in an email that there was to be an outage this weekend for a system upgrade, but I don't think my difficulties are related. The problem started friday night when I did a hard reset.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
After I received the letter, I called OnStar and they indicated that it would probably be sometime early fall when they shut down thw Windows Phone App.
Did they say which hemisphere's fall they were talking about? Isn't it fall right now down under? ;)

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Works just fine for our family of 4. Mostly just commuting and local weekend trips.
Would have loved the Volt but a 2+2 doesn't work for us.

Keep in mind, I'm 6'4", my older son is 6'0", and his little brother is 6'1"

We barely for in my Avalanche ( which is to old for the myChevrolet app).

Sent from mTalk

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Would have loved the Volt but a 2+2 doesn't work for us.

Keep in mind, I'm 6'4", my older son is 6'0", and his little brother is 6'1"

We barely for in my Avalanche ( which is to old for the myChevrolet app).

Sent from mTalk

Understood. My kids are 2'8" (20 month old twins). I had an Avalanche as well, a 2002. Loved it, but needed something more heavy duty for towing. Went through a Silverado 3500, then when the boys were born my wife wanted to have something with 3 rows of seating so we have a Suburban 2500. Would still love to have an Avalanche 2500 though. So between the Suburban and the Volt we average out to the fuel economy of two normal small cars haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos