Windows 10S availability on existing devices

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Windows 10S will be made available to those currently on Windows 10 Home?

If so, would there be any performance benefit for low-end, 2-in-1 type devices?

Cheers,
Mitch

Something I've been trying to find out is whether the OS is literally the same as Home but locked down to the store through a software restriction.

I.E If you got a fresh install of Home and a fresh install of S, would they have identical Services running in the background out of the box etc.

I was hoping more of the legacy stuff was stripped out by default, and would get added back in if you upgraded to W10 Pro - For example, would you get an identical experience performance and battery wise if you just use W10 Home and set it to only allow apps from the store to be installed (Which you can do in the current SKUs if you want)

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
What we need a solid answer to is whether Windows 10 S is identical to W10 Home once you set (in Creators Update and newer) to only allow apps to be installed from the store.

I want to know for sure do the performance and battery life improvements come from other legacy stuff being stripped out, or does it just come from the natural effect of being restricted to Store Apps

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, as mentioned numerous times already, we won't get a straight answer on this until someone benchmarks a fresh install of Home (with the Store app Lock turned on) vs a fresh install of S on identical hardware. Considering we aren't sure how much of a performance boost (if any), it'd probably be better on lower end hardware to emphasize any differences.

Anyone commenting that its ridiculous on the face of it and calling it a downgrade doesn't understand the OSes. Or they're simply leaving out that they have a deep understanding of how S works and simply are disguising their knowledge as ignorance so we don't bombard them with more questions maybe? /s

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind running 10s on an ipad mini type replacement. Something that is just a small knockaround tablet used for ebooks and Netflix.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
What I would want my parents to use their pc. *.exe hunting by themselves is dangerous.
Plus, easy to find app, clean install, sync, update and clean uninstall are all pretty good benefits.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Something I've been trying to find out is whether the OS is literally the same as Home but locked down to the store through a software restriction.

I.E If you got a fresh install of Home and a fresh install of S, would they have identical Services running in the background out of the box etc.

I was hoping more of the legacy stuff was stripped out by default, and would get added back in if you upgraded to W10 Pro - For example, would you get an identical experience performance and battery wise if you just use W10 Home and set it to only allow apps from the store to be installed (Which you can do in the current SKUs if you want)

If anything, it's a stripped down version of W10 Pro: from what I saw during the announcement. The biggest clue on this is that it's able to join a AD domain, the same as Pro. W10 home does not have this ability. The target market for this version is the education sector. This means that the ability to centrally manage the IT assets needs to be a key part.

zagiame

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Windows 10S will be made available to those currently on Windows 10 Home?

Cheers,
Mitch

I would really love to get that Windows 10 S. This is secure and up to date Windows OS can refresh your 12 old Desktop PC, cuz it is made to run on low end devices. Well it's not like my 12 old PC doesn't run well Windows 10, but with Windows 10 S it will be more fresh than ever.
I really think that is the straight of Windows - to install the OS on every Hardware you want to, however they did not made this happen with Windows Phone, if only they made it Available on install of any Hardware, this would be different now.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Some very interesting posts here, anyway in my case, it's something I would consider for my Surface Pro 4, though I won't probably be able to do it because of one app I need at work that will probably will never make it into Store. But for example if I just needed a laptop for Office and some work that requires only browser, then why not? (which gets us to the Surface Laptop and the reason it goes on the market)

Rolandh

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd Install Windows 10 S on my HP Stream 11 as I don't use that a lot since I upgraded my Laptop, but my new main Laptop which is also an HP would have to stay Windows 10 Home & maybe at some point upgrade to Windows 10 Pro as it's my Gaming/Video Editing Laptop & needs the full flexibility of being able to use none Windows Store Apps (Steam, Origin & Adobe Premiere Pro).

Roland

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
On my desktop/laptop? No thanks. Maybe on a tablet.

I can see the appeal of not having to manually update your software (think notepad++, ccleaner) but I'm still relying on legacy software that won't ever get put in the store (Zune).

I'd also like to be able to keep an offline installer, and not being subject to any mood swings from the publisher.

Who's to say I'm not going to use the software after the developer retired it from market?

Nilanjan Chaks

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Mitch

Oh my God, YES!

I would love to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga Book to a Windows 10 S OS. Would work that much better on it.
All apps I would use at that form factor are on UWP platform. Performance and battery life would rock.

Absolutely.
This is the only thing I crib about - why cant we download Windows 10 S and upgrade a Pro to S ?

Nilanjan Chaks

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh my God, YES!

I would love to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga Book to a Windows 10 S OS. Would work that much better on it.
All apps I would use at that form factor are on UWP platform. Performance and battery life would rock.

Absolutely.
This is the only thing I crib about - why cant we download Windows 10 S and upgrade a Pro to S ?

FazJay

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Mitch

If Microsoft want to tie you down to their store then they ought to giveaway the operating system for free, considering how they intend to profit from you buying from their store and from the all the sneaky ways they collect information about you.

They want to capitalize off your personal data, provide you "apps and ads", so why should I pay for that from the start. (I would install on custom PC).

If you're giving it away free then it's like I'm agreeing to the apps and ads as long as I'm a user of the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss