Every single laptop/tablet sold should come with Windows 10 S as default. Agree?

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Every single laptop/tablet sold should come with Windows 10 S as default.

I think the fact Microsoft started this with EDU sector is fair enough.

If it becomes more popular in the future, then why not.

Well, I can see W10S comes with cheap Windows 10 tablets though since people use UWP more with smaller form factor (i.e. <10 in screen)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Technically nothing is stopping anyone from setting up their own UWP store is there?

Android has multiple stores. Steam would be an obvious possibility.

You have to enable the ability to download and use apps from 'other sources' in Android for that to work. You also reduce your security if you do this. You're basically taking the security out of your OS if the whole purpose of 10s and Store is for security reasons.

Remy_S

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

I think Win 10 S should come as standard on all new devices, and give people the opportunity for a free upgrade to home, or 50$ upgrade to Pro. For most people Win 10 S would probably be enough, even the better option perhaps (I assume most of you who have encountered enough PC's with multiple anti virus software and full of crapware that will supposedly work wonders for your PC, can relate to this?).
This way you get people to use the store (in my experience most people are unaware that the store even exists), which will make it more attractive for devs and hopefully improve the app selection.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

1 - No it will not. It will only lead to people possibly abandoning Windows for something else once they realise they are being bound to the worst version of Windows since Windows RT. The Microsoft Store is an absolute joke and developers aren't putting things there because it's simply *not* worth it.

2 - They also use Chrome.
Which isn't and won't likely be on the Windows Store anytime soon.

3 - Holographics is still near-vapour ware in the present moment. So it will make no difference.

4 - That idea is as dated as "Android is unsafe". And I don't know in which world you live, but I haven't heard that argument in decades.

Windows 10 S is an aberration. It is a desperate attempt to make Windows less useful and more restricted while sucking more money out of developers with the promise of supposed more exposure to their programs. Except that's a rubbish argument because for the store to promote apps to users, users would need to use the Store in the first place (which they don't) and the Store would need to stop being the complete mess it is.

The moment Microsoft locks Windows users to Windows 10 S(hitty) is the moment they hand it over to Google the PC market as well. Because with Android already being the most used operating system in the World, if you start trying to lock people into the crapfest that is the Windows Store on PCs, there's no reason why people should continue to buy PCs in the first place. Might as well buy an Android powered computer since, well, at least you'll have already paid for the apps in it when you bought them for your phone.

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

If they wish to drag Microsoft's reputation through mud then sure... People expect Windows to behave like Windows. If they won't be able to use their regular apps like Chrome, they'll just get annoyed and will return the device, same as it happened with WindowsRT. You average consumer will not understand the differences, nor would he be happy to pay $50 for something that was free thus far.

OEMs will play with this for a few months and then abandon it just like they did Windows RT. Nobody wants to lose sales because of crippled-on-purpose OS.

Windows 10 already lets you disable non-store apps if you REALLY want to. Windows 10 S is absolutely useless.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

OEMS should stick with the same model they are doing now (we've been buying new computers for people in our office). Open licence. Windows 7, 8.1 or 10....

Needs for compaines or end users are different. Have it come with Windows 10 but, the licence is open for 7 8 or 10 so users can roll back and be valid.

It just so happens where I work, some applications dont run correctly on Windows 10 (newer updates), so we have had no choice to use 7 or 8.1. Dont give me the crud of update the app, the program is what our company is based on, very large and VERY expensive. Well over a few million dollars to update. No plans to do such.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site

@L0n3N1nja, you realize that if Adobe sells the shrink-wrapped version through a store or Amazon, the retailer can take more than 30% right? Plus, that has hard costs of production, shipping, damaged inventory, etc. all of which are reduced to $0 by the Store. No, selling through the Store is a perfectly reasonable option for a software publisher with no real margin hit (in many cases, the publisher will make more by selling through the Store than alternatives).

Having said that, I would support some sort of sliding scale for apps that generate large volumes of revenue. Something like 30% for the first million in gross sales, then 25% through $5M, then 20% through $10M cumulative gross sales, then 15% thereafter, where those levels hold as long as the sales volume is sustained on an annual basis, otherwise, it reverts to the proper fee based on prior year sales.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Yea, thinking this will push ISVs into UWP or Centennial is naïve. While it is great for users, there are significant drawbacks for the vendors. Consider Adobe. They have turned to a largely subscription format. Imagine them now having to fork over 30% of that $50/month to MS. Oh I can install it on 5-10 PCs too. I don't think MS would even put Office 2016 in the store if they had to pay the store owner 30% for every sale.

This is more an issue for the more professional packages, but those are the ones people buy Windows PCs for. If you feel that most people use their laptops to browse the web, communicate with relatives via skype, messenger, or other live chat apps, they don't need a Windows PC in the first place. Probably better off with an iPad. If you need Office, Access, Visio, Photoshop, Camtasia, Acrobat, you need something other than S. Maybe on a low priced machine, S would be sufficient, but all it will do on a $1000 laptop is tick people off. OK, you can upgrade, but it takes long enough to get a new device up and running, without then finding out it won't load my apps and I have another round of download and install to wade through. (Before anyone notes that set up used to be a lot worse, I know, I loaded from 5.25" floppies, but it is expectations. Most people now think microwaves take to long too.)

I will say a savvy user [me ;)] might buy an S machine to get the free version of Pro. Generally lower priced devices come with Home, and the upgrade is $99. If I buy an S device now, Pro is free, and even after the end of the year, only $50. What a deal.

S is a fine option for lower priced machines, for less savvy users, or for environments where restrictivity (like that?) is needed, like schools, some enterprises even, but it has no business on a $1000-$2000 laptop/tablet. It's like buying a sports car with a 45 mph governor on it.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the original poster.

This is a brilliant idea. For those who don't get it. I feel bad for you guys. Cheaper devices for all of us, limited time upgrade, and keeps my parents from corrupting their systems. Win! win! win!

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

I agree with the original poster.

This is a brilliant idea. For those who don't get it. I feel bad for you guys. Cheaper devices for all of us, limited time upgrade, and keeps my parents from corrupting their systems. Win! win! win!
I bet your parents would want to strangle you soon after getting that PC after noticing they can't have some basic programs on it.😂

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

redevall

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Today 11:21 AM
Unless the laptop in question is currently being marketed as a "gaming laptop" (ala alienware, ROG, etc...). Given like what Garisa above mentioned about Steam for example, and other windows games that are not available via the store, you'd have no way to install them. And before you mention the "free upgrade" (or so) to home/pro. Why should I have to go through that upgrade after I purchase a "gaming" laptop? Now that said I can see what you mean as well, but I also have to think that enterprise and a lot of businesses with proprietary software might have issues as well. just a though

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

I can give an example from a school I worked in. One of their students made a program (after he became a student at a faculty I guess) with which professors can easily print certificates for students (so they wouldn't have to write everything manually). They are still using this program, and if they bought a new computer with Windows 10 S they wouldn't be able to make this program work again. I know most people won't have issues like this in particular (though most of us have at least few programs, or old games, which are on a CD, and which most likely wouldn't arrive in the Store), but the OS is still unnecessarily crippled. But I saying it because this is an example of a school, and Windows 10 S supposedly is targeted at them.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Most people don't need the old desktop programs. Windows S would be perfect for 90-95% of the consumer market with a small selection of desktop programs in the Windows Store.

Microsoft doesn't need to force consumers or OEMs. A big discount on Windows 10 S for one or two years would be enough to create the critical mass of users. Developers would willingly add their desktop programs to the Windows Store to target millions of users.

People that need desktop programs that aren't in the Windows Store can always downgrade to Windows Pro for $50.

Windows S will replace Windows Home, that's for sure.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

You underestimate people.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

1. This will force a lot of win32 apps like Firefox, Chrome, Adobe, and other popular legacy developers to use centennial bridge to add their apps into the Windows Store.

This may be true. However, some developers may not know UWP or the bridge may not function properly. At the present moment, I cannot get App Bridge to work on my Home PC. It requires features that are only in Pro. This would mean increased costs for developers to even develop and push an app, which may turn them away.

2. I strongly feel that most people use their laptops to browse the web, communicate with relatives via skype, messenger, or other live chat apps. The need to install apps downloaded from the web is genuinely for professionals and those types of people will undoubtedly have the knowledge/skills required to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I agree with you here. My mom plays games on Facebook or from CDs. She doesn't do much more than that. So it may be a good fit for her. It would be great for my dad as he only uses Facebook. Alas though, they use Chrome because most of the sites they go to, don't function properly on Edge.

3. This will also immensely help holographics, and Microsoft next vision of Mobile (Whatever that may be).

Holographics, no. The developer tools are not in the store, meaning #1 . Mobile, only if they choose to develop with mobile in mind. There are lots of apps that aren't mobile friendly.

4. The idea that Windows is unsafe and "full of viruses and malware" will surely go away when the majority of the casual users are running Windows 10 S. The more sophisticated users never really have that concept in the first place.

Hahahaha, this made me laugh. Sorry OP, but even Android has viruses in its store. Nothing is safe, someone will find a way to circumvent the security and we'll still have malware. If nothing else, advertising networks will become filled with even more malware.

My overall take is this...

I would want to test out a Windows 10 S device. I would want to see if I could do everything I do daily on it. However, a lot of what I do comes down to development, pluralsight videos, office/productivity, and some steam games.

If they offered a free upgrade to Home, that you could redeem at ANY time, perfect. So maybe the option of, by default, disabling apps outside of the store, would be a good idea. Then I can just add features to disable that restriction.

I think this idea has some merit, but there are a lot of issues that need resolved. Development tools being the first and foremost.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I'll do one better for you. Why not make it part of the set up process when you first set up your new PC? They already ask you to set up an account just make it another step. "Do you want this PC to run traditional Win32 apps at the expense of security. You won't be able to go back later." and throw in some examples some the end user knows what you are talking about and then let the consumer decide for themselves what they want to run. I despise the idea of all PC's being forced into it though. Frankly I don't even think it should be a SKU more of an optional feature.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I like the idea of application installation being tied to the store. Better security, more control for admins, ensure a smother user experience, increased usage of UWP and better development of the ecosystem. I for one wouldn't mind buying my third party applications through the Store. Everything is cloud centric now, to me it just makes sense. Get rid of the home, pro and edu versions of windows. If you want a feature, you can just buy the add-on. So for example the only feature I need in Pro is the ability to join a domain, I don't need all the other fluff. From a product management perspective it boils it down to one sku and CAL's. Eliminates consumer confusion and licensing issues.

Also would also increase adoption to mobile and continuum. If you all your apps run on the phone, who needs a pc for everyday tasks. Kinda makes the play for Surface Phone.

Last edited:

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

some of Microsoft OEM partners offered Windows 7 Pro as an option you could get on their desktop or laptop PC's well as Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 which is the normal OS of their desktop and laptop PC's. It makes sense for Microsoft to have full Windows 10 already installed on their Surface laptop. They could make a special version of the Surface laptop called Surface laptop Pro. it would cost more than a regular Surface laptop and have more ram . in fact I think the Intel i7 models of the Surface laptop will offer offer Full Windows 10 Pre installed when they hit the market Why because using an Intel i7 CPU is over kill for use with a watered down version of Windows 10 which Windows 10s is. who knows Microsoft might call the i7 CPU versions of the Surface Laptop the Surface laptop pro and give them 8 gigs of ram to start. people will buy em like hot cakes

romo11

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I agree. All lowend and midend computers/notebooks/tablets for end users have to be shipped with Windows 10 S. Devices can be cheaper and upgrade to PRO is cheaper. too. For consumers it will be benefit.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Technically W10M is superior, yet it is in a comatose state, so basically its a stupid idea. MS should have marketed W10S as a secure OS which cannot be hit by viruses, it would have got consumer interest.

The windows store is for all MS platforms. Its not a mobile store, and UWP isn't a mobile platform. There are PLENTY of things in the store you can't run on a phone.

Someone like steam making UWP available in their store would stop the perceived long term threat to steam as a separate store, for windows gaming. They could add xbox, tablet, PC, HoloLens and mobile titles and become a competitor to the windows store. It would encourage game developers, and possibly lower the 'take' that the stores get by offering a cheaper tariff.

If they for example charged a 5% tarrif, instead of a 20-30 percent one, software developers would flock to it. It could be bigger than the windows store. And being a home for gamers, game devs might actually use the millennial bridge if they aren't losing 30% of their retail price.

As for windows s - who are we to judge whether it has consumer interest or not? I hear pre-sales went well, but we won't know until we see the quarterly sales.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs