After CU, bad performance on L950

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
After updating to CU I started to note that after using for example Edge for some time, the performance is degraded, especially scrolling performance. The same happens in other apps. If I leave the phone for say half an hour and then pick it up, the performance is good, however after maybe 10 minutes the performance is again degraded. This makes me believe that something is wrong in regard to thermal/power throttling in the CU. Am I the only one with this issue?

Last edited:

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything like that.

Only issue so far is that Store and map downloads are slow like molasses, even on 100 Mbit WLAN.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I find battery drain high when in use, super low battery drain when not in use. I'm using a 950XL and don't find it lagging during usage

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing. This has been the least stable build I've ever had on any version of WP, with things like lockups, reboots, excessive heat and battery drain. I'm on a 950XL.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
For me it was all good and well, it was really fluid in the beginning, though today Messenger started lagging pretty bad and somehow I forgot what I was doing in the morning but however my phone was stuck and had to make a soft reset. Somewhy it drained my battery for 10%. Otherwise I didn't notice anything differences regarding battery life, it wasn't really too well even on release builds.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Today I noticed that controls for music that I usually use on my Bluetooth headphones don't work properly and it's not the headphones because they power up normally (same button is also used for skipping songs).
NOTE: I am on insider fast though but not many things changed there anyways

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
On my 950xl I've noticed problems, especially since the CU update:

Extremely high battery drain when in use
Phone freezing and/or rebooting, usually happens when receiving or making a call
Phone heats up really bad when playing games now
Maps and navigation require screen to be on to work. If screen goes off then you get the "Tap to resume navigation" message. This is absolutely unacceptable and if not fixed soon I guess its time to get an Android. I use my phone for nav and rely on the bluetooth spoken nav. Keeping the screen on causes rapid battery drain.
Randon SD card failures saying its not there anymore requiring a battery pull and restart to get the SD card recognized again.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My 950 is running really well on CU. I would suggest backing up and then doing a factory reset. Then try Edge and other system apps for a day or so, with no restoration of settings or apps and see if it's better. Then reset again and then restore everything from backup, see if it's worse. You might conclude that you just need to start from fresh.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Everything is ok with mine except the camera focus issue I have mentioned in a few other posts. Once that is fixed I will be happy with the performance again, but as it is I just don't even try to use my camera, make my wife use her iphone (gasp) or pull out my Pixel (double gasp) if I have it with me.

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Scrolling performance in Edge is bad yet again. Possibly happened after a massive language localization update through windows update, never had that type of update before.

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I got that one as well, but I assumed that was the .297 update?

I don't know. Really bad scrolling performance now and constant lockups. Phone not even warm. Will have to jump ship to Android really soon after L920, L930 and L950. Really bad of Microsoft.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know. Really bad scrolling performance now and constant lockups. Phone not even warm. Will have to jump ship to Android really soon after L920, L930 and L950. Really bad of Microsoft.
That's really bad, sounds like we have very different experiences from .297. Scrolling in edge on my phone is like doing it on any other phone.

Sometimes the phone backup is the culprit. You can try to do a hard reset without restoring from a backup.

1 - Back up using Contacts + Messages app, it makes a backup of your SMS/MMS/Contacts on your phone. This works even if you don't have a memory card, look at the bottom of the screen.

2 - Copy the folder to a computer, together with any files you want to keep..

3 - Perform a hard reset, and don't restore from any online backup.
*** Optional, instead of a hard reset (if you don't think it's enough), you can use the WDRT to reinstall Windows.

4 - Copy the backup folder back to your phone, use the app in #1 to restore.

After that you have to download your apps manually, but Store usually keeps track of which apps that are associated with your account.

As a last resort you might consider to use your warranty if you still have one. Mine is 2 years, although it's not the same everywhere.

mtbmike24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Got the same issues on my 950xl I have never had my phone scroll like that doesn't do it all the time just randomly and it locks up from time to time also ever since CU. I am trying to avoid a 5th hard reset and no back up. I have to admit it does fix my issues but damn this is just getting unacceptable to me I'm tired of resetting my phone after updates.
the big issue with having to reset your phone now days is you never know if a app you have been using is still available until you go to find it in the store and its gone. This has happened to me a couple of times.
Sent from mTalk

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Got the same issues on my 950xl I have never had my phone scroll like that doesn't do it all the time just randomly and it locks up from time to time also ever since CU. I am trying to avoid a 5th hard reset and no back up. I have to admit it does fix my issues but damn this is just getting unacceptable to me I'm tired of resetting my phone after updates.
the big issue with having to reset your phone now days is you never know if a app you have been using is still available until you go to find it in the store and its gone. This has happened to me a couple of times.
Sent from mTalk

The factory reset with backup after CU update fixed it but then the .297 update broke the performance yet again. Scrolling performance on this page right now is so slow it would take me a minute to get to the top... Just not acceptable that one would have to factory reset after every update. Even with backup the whole process takes 2 hours to get everything back to how it was.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I also had bad scrolling performance in edge just after updating to CU on production build on my 950 xl. Read somewhere that maps displays better by lowering screen display from the recommended 350% so I set it to 300%. Text got so small on that setting so I changed textscaling to 150%. I find everything displays better after that and I dont have any issues with scrolling in edge actually seems faster then before CU. Lowering screen display below 300% caused calender display issues. I did not factory reset after CU but will do that when I have time since this is a bigger update.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
If you cant find previously installed apps in store after a reset they can usually be found and reinstalled from my library in Store menu

ejbrod1

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm having performance issues after CU:

Received the latest build last week and the phone has been really bad again. The issues are:
Freezing while on the internet
Camera not launching from the button
Glance not working
Not turning on from double tap
Not turning on from button press
On calls when taking phone from face screen stays black
Poor call quality
When trying to end call freezing up
Battery life terrible - 5/4 hours from a full charge
Frost Free app has not worked since last 2 updates
Tiles not updating

Build 10.0.15063.297
FW 01078.00053.16236.35022
HW 2.1.6.2
Radio BO25c43.00024.0001
SOC 8992

(posted here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/444344-3.htm#post3665871)

Anyone got a resolution?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre