Installing Win10 on new PC

Beehelp

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I have windows 10 linked to my MS account and understand that when I get a new PC/make significant upgrades I can re-install it using the activation troubleshooter. But how do I boot up windows to begin with? I have the usb that it came with. Do I insert that upon boot-up and it will run windows 10 and then from there i can go to Activation and re-activate Win10??

Thanks

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
How do you boot from the USB?

You would need to either go into your BIOS/UEFI and make the USB your primary boot device. Keep the USB drive plugged in and it should boot off the USB.

You go into your BIOS by pressing either F2, F10, F12, or Delete key upon boot. (Depending on the manufacturer)(Google your Motherboard and search for which specific button you need to press).

You can also use the "setup.exe" in the USB itself in File Explorer, and it should automatically setup for you.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I have windows 10 linked to my MS account and understand that when I get a new PC/make significant upgrades I can re-install it using the activation troubleshooter. But how do I boot up windows to begin with? I have the usb that it came with. Do I insert that upon boot-up and it will run windows 10 and then from there i can go to Activation and re-activate Win10??

Thanks

Something that should be understood clearly...........

You have Computer A running Windows 10. If it is activated, then it has a digital license saved in the server. *** That digital license ONLY applies to Computer A.
It is NOT transferrable.

If you get a new PC and if it is running an activated Windows 10, this new PC will have its own digital license which is, again, not transferrable.

*** Digital License entitles user to reinstall the SAME Windows 10 Edition into the SAME computer any time one wants to and as often as one wants to.

Activation is automatic because the server will recognize the digital license of that computer and thus proceed with automatic activation. You don't need to manually activate it at all.

That put aside, what do you mean by "But how do I boot up windows " ?
Isn't you new PC come with Windows 10 ?

Last edited:

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
...........Installing Win10 on new PC.................
If the new PC is NOT running Windows 10, you will have to buy a genuine Windows 10 license to install.

Remember, the digital license of another PC is NOT transferrable to this new PC.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Is your new PC running an older Windows edition ?

If yes, the free upgrade to Windows 10 is, for unknown reason, still available for Win 7, Win8/8.1.
Please post back before I continue.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I have Windows 7
Sorry that it took me so long to answer - had to take care of my little doughter

Use this Media Creation Tool :

www.Microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Update now button.
Upgrade Assistant will start checking if your Win 7 is ready/compatible to upgrade.
If approved. It will tell you what to do next. Just follow the prompts/instructions.
This is an upgrade install. You shouldn't be asked for product key.
You will have choice of keeping your files, settings and apps.
Activation should be automatic.

Post back if you run into road blocks.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Beehelp

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!! Now it's running Windows 10!!!!!:smile:
Think, I didn't press smth and lost the data, but it was of no imporatnce anyway...
Thank you once again!!!

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 135724 think I owe you that for the help:wink:

Just want to make sure if your Win 10 is activated.

Left click at the Start button at bottom left corner > left side, click the gear icon Gear icon 1.jpg which is Settings > select Update and security > left ide, click Activation > right side, under Activation, does it say " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account " ?

Attachments

• Gear icon.jpg
    Gear icon.jpg
    970 bytes · Views: 32

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
How do you find so much time to help the people you don't know?

I m retired. Nothing better to do :)

I try to help whenever I can because I vividly recall how it was like when I knew next to nothing about computer and I bought my first laptop 6 years ago.
I know how I felt.
I read books about Windows like there is no tomorrow and I visited forums trying to learn what people said. They helped me.
I self-taught myself. Now, it's my turn to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss