Facebook apps slowly turning into true UWP?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
6 months with no update is enough for them. If they intended to make a UWP they would have done that already.

It's been six months since kodi hit the store. They intend to make a UWP, and its one of their major priorities. I doubt its facebooks major priority.

snikito

May 20, 2017
Visit site
It's been six months since kodi hit the store. They intend to make a UWP, and its one of their major priorities. I doubt its facebooks major priority.

You have to factor in the economic values! Facebook is a 250 billion dollar company, Kodi isn't. It's ultra easy for Facebook to hire 1 single person to deliver updates to the app every now and then, but they don't.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
OSMeta has nothing to do with UWP. It's Facebooks own cross platform development kit

So do they use that to make their FB, messenger UWP apps? Or not at all?

Someone mentioned it, and I'm just wondering what the process is, for getting their app from its normal codebase, over to UWP. Clearly it hasn't been too straightforward, otherwise they wouldn't still be working the UI out, and splitting the dev streams.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You have to factor in the economic values! Facebook is a 250 billion dollar company, Kodi isn't. It's ultra easy for Facebook to hire 1 single person to deliver updates to the app every now and then, but they don't.

Market value shouldn't really factor in too much here. It's not so much a matter of if a company can afford it or not. If it pencils, they'll do it. If not, they won't. That is where "economic value" factors in!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

We don't really know who's working on what. They have split development branches, maybe there's an actual dev reason for that? (like for example, they are getting scaling working on the main branch, before they can merge the code or something). I mean I am not a coder, nor am I familiar with their codebase - I ain't got a clue. But I don't think anyone really knows in these situations, unless FB actually says something about it.

MFST owns 1.3 percent of facebook, which probably doesn't hurt, in terms of Fb, WhatsApp, and Instagram on windows.

snikito

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Market value shouldn't really factor in too much here. It's not so much a matter of if a company can afford it or not. If it pencils, they'll do it. If not, they won't. That is where "economic value" factors in!

They continue to support Instagram and WhatsApp for Windows though, so this doesn't make sense!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They continue to support Instagram and WhatsApp for Windows though, so this doesn't make sense!

True, but maybe they figure it pays to support Instagram and WhatsApp, but not Facebook. Maybe there are technical issues with Facebook. Maybe Facebook users use the website (although I doubt that's the reality on mobile). I have no idea!

snikito

May 20, 2017
Visit site
We all need an answer to this question but nobody knows. My personal opinion is no, but the OP for example thinks that they are trying to make a UWP apps so we'll see updates.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So do they use that to make their FB, messenger UWP apps? Or not at all?

Someone mentioned it, and I'm just wondering what the process is, for getting their app from its normal codebase, over to UWP. Clearly it hasn't been too straightforward, otherwise they wouldn't still be working the UI out, and splitting the dev streams.

Yes, they created their apps with OSMeta. That's why they are such bloated apps that require way to much processing power. They are just ports and even look like iOS apps on W10M

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes, they created their apps with OSMeta. That's why they are such bloated apps that require way to much processing power. They are just ports and even look like iOS apps on W10M

So they are originally ios apps? (and thus probably ported via islandwood). That would explain the incomplete UWP-ness and split development branches. They slapped it together, which some vague intention of finishing it properly but haven't got around to it yet.

I guess the Instagram and WhatsApp teams are different leadership. Or maybe less based in OSmeta...

snikito

May 20, 2017
Visit site
WhatsApp is a native app. Instagram is an OSMeta app and that's why I wanted to say to @milkyway that OSMeta is not the problem, it's the lack of stability and optimisation updates by Facebook. Yes, the teams are different but still, someone at Facebook has decided to not update their main apps and update only Instagram and WhatsApp. Finally, once again, no, it's not a project Islandwood app, if it was, it would be universal too which it isn't.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
WhatsApp is a native app. Instagram is an OSMeta app and that's why I wanted to say to @milkyway that OSMeta is not the problem, it's the lack of stability and optimisation updates by Facebook. Yes, the teams are different but still, someone at Facebook has decided to not update their main apps and update only Instagram and WhatsApp. Finally, once again, no, it's not a project Islandwood app, if it was, it would be universal too which it isn't.

So they are bridging themselves, when they already have an ios app? OSMeta must have some cross-platform abilities for UWP, or that's just weird.

snikito

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Don't try to understand Facebook tactics, they seem to be completely out of their minds. They retired the Windows Phone 8.1 app, messaging every single user to move to their "new" Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile apps which themselves have never updated, and have decided that they need 2GB of RAM, which only 2 Windows Phones have right now. They also mentioned calls as a thing that they can "no longer support" on old apps, when clearly their new app doesn't support either.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It does my head in how WhatsApp is constantly updated and Fb + Messenger is not. It has to be part of a unified plan for the latter two but to leave it this long is just bizarre.

snikito

May 20, 2017
Visit site
It does my head in how WhatsApp is constantly updated and Fb + Messenger is not. It has to be part of a unified plan for the latter two but to leave it this long is just bizarre.

And there is no way to contact Facebook or get an answer that they've stopped development or not. I would believe there is a plan to make true unified app if I saw some effort at least in the beta apps but there is no update for them either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb