W10m notifications

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
True, but after several devices and a few OS and updates I always get to the same conclusion that overall notifications aren't reliable, sometimes they are late and other times you don't get them at all, so its have to be some OS problem.

Ignore those who try to make it seem like Windows 10 mobile is perfect and you are doing something wrong. It's not. I don't know why they are putting up this facade.

I mean.. "Have you tried different carriers" .. Really?

I've have several phones since 2012 some on insider and some not and reliable notifications is not a strong suit for Windows 10 mobile.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Ignore those who try to make it seem like Windows 10 mobile is perfect and you are doing something wrong. It's not.

Did I or anyone else here say that Windows 10 mobile is "perfect"? I don't think so. Why don't you spare us the tedious hyperbole?

I mean.. "Have you tried different carriers" .. Really?

Yes, "really". Because if a user has had issues consistently with different devices then - as the user did - the reasonable thing to do is to look for a common denominator.

If the common denominator is the OS, not the phones, then it stands to reason a lot of people would perpetually have the same issue. I don't recall having had it once even. I've had a similar issue with other notifications, but not with the mentioned one.

Is there another common denominator? Well, there could be, if the carrier was always the same. Could that be the reason for what's happening? I don't actually know, that's why I asked if it was the same carrier and perhaps others could chime in with their experience. If we noticed people using different carriers had the exact same problem all else being equal then we could probably write that off.

It's about eliminating possible causes of the problem, not proving the OS to be "perfect".

But by all means, if you prefer whining about the OS this forum seems to be the perfect place.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
True, but after several devices and a few OS and updates I always get to the same conclusion that overall notifications aren't reliable, sometimes they are late and other times you don't get them at all, so its have to be some OS problem.

Well, I've never had a notification be late. The problems I've had with notifications is with the tiles for Outlook mail. Unpinning the tiles and re-pinning them (and/or soft rebooting) has solved that. I think it's happened to me once or twice. Never with messenger though.

I have noticed that there seem to be differences with my phone (950) compared to before the creators update that seem to be related to how it connects with my carrier. I know there are certain spots on my commute where there's no coverage with T-mobile, and the phone acts slightly differently there compared to before. This doesn't necessarily mean that your problem is due to carriers, I was just getting at that these devices (phones) rely heavily on the ability to connect, and sometimes I just wonder if some of what we see and experience as a problem is a connection issue rather than something else.

Either way, I recommend unpin/repin/soft reboot.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Did I or anyone else here say that Windows 10 mobile is "perfect"? I don't think so. Why don't you spare us the tedious hyperbole?

Yes, "really". Because if a user has had issues consistently with different devices then - as the user did - the reasonable thing to do is to look for a common denominator.

If the common denominator is the OS, not the phones, then it stands to reason a lot of people would perpetually have the same issue. I don't recall having had it once even. I've had a similar issue with other notifications, but not with the mentioned one.

Is there another common denominator? Well, there could be, if the carrier was always the same. Could that be the reason for what's happening? I don't actually know, that's why I asked if it was the same carrier and perhaps others could chime in with their experience. If we noticed people using different carriers had the exact same problem all else being equal then we could probably write that off.

It's about eliminating possible causes of the problem, not proving the OS to be "perfect".

But by all means, if you prefer whining about the OS this forum seems to be the perfect place.

Wasn't aware that carriers affected notifications on your phone. Thanks for the lesson.

You must be new here. I don't whine. I state the facts.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had this issue since pre-WP8.1, the WP8 days. You need to do a hard reset. If that doesn't solve it, do a hard reset without restoring any backup. If that fails, a reflash. Notifications with WM10 have been excellently reliable for me all round, the problems were with WP8, not WM10. This is, however, a known sign of the need for a hard reset. Should be less necessary with major updates from now on due to the update changes introduced with the creators update.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Wasn't aware that carriers affected notifications on your phone. Thanks for the lesson.

I didn't say that carriers affected notifications on my phone. Learn how to read.

I'm not trying to make it seem that the Windows 10 Mobile OS as perfect. So, 'no', you're actually not 'stating the facts', even if you think you are.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by mattiasnyc
Originally Posted by ttsoldier

I didn't say that carriers affected notifications on my phone. Learn how to read.

Originally Posted by ttsoldier

I'm not trying to make it seem that the Windows 10 Mobile OS as perfect. So, 'no', you're actually not 'stating the facts', even if you think you are.

One can both whine and state the facts, these are not mutually exclusive (understanding the term 'whine' in the common internet parlance to mean 'post a rant on the internet, randomly flailing at the nearest target because you can't be bothered to work out where the problem really lies'). Selectively 'stating the facts' is a typical method by which some people attempt to encourage an incorrect understanding of a situation without directly lying. Such as presenting the experiences of a few as OS bugs that must await an MS OS fix when the majority with exactly the same hardware and OS build do not experience the same issue, and in fact might be discouraged from actually solving their issue if they pay attention to such online rants. If the OP had posted here looking for solutions or to diagnose then there would be no issue. Trying to blame a demonstrably incorrect target in an online rant however, does not exactly come across as good form especially when such obvious traditional propagandist tactics are employed in clumsy fashion.

bprashant19

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
This is one of the things that really really annoys me in w10m. I'm constantly losing conversations with friends because of this, so many times i don't have a any notification or any status on my 'live tiles' and yet I open the messenger app ou the sms app and I had received some msg/sms. Is this a problem of the app or OS it self? Some times even after a soft reset the problem remains. If w10m as we know it is going to die is a shame that il will die without ever had a 100% funcional notifications. If w10m will be replaced any time for W10 the problem remains because my windows 10 have the same problem. Is that hard to Microsoft solve this? Now i know a can't really rely on the notifications so ha have to check my self from time to time. I don't wanna change to Android oe IOS, i love the w10m interface, that home screen is still miles ahead of what android and IOS offer, i gonna hold my 950 xl as long as i can, but seeing no plan for consumer market from MS makes me sad.

I too was having this problem, make sure you dont have "always allowed" for the apps. I had the problem with whatsapp and was resolved once I made it to "Managed by windows"

Edit- Also make sure in Setting--> Privacy all the required setting are enabled or just enable all of them and see if it works, if it does; try switching them off one by one

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Also, carriers could affect notifications. This is not common, but is conceivable. Basically, your ISP needs to allow the protocols that notifications use and needs to transfer such as a priority to ensure reliability. Such may be a factor here, because the OP does state it happens to his full W10 devices (so desktop/laptop I presume). If the OP uses the same ISP on both phone and desktop then there could be an issue there. Beyond that, if the OP connects their laptop to the internet via the phone then phone hardware issues may still be the cause of the notification issue. There is a lot to tease out here. The one thing we all know for sure is that W10 can and for most people does work fine and very reliably with notifications for most people by far. Trying to pretend there is a universal problem with the OS and that the end user can do nothing but wait for MS to 'fix' the OS is highly misleading and likely to lead to disappointment when readers find out they've been fed a line.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry if my initial post give the wrong impression, this is not about whine or trolling about anything, I'm talking about my experience. I have windows devices for years, since WM6. I have gone through all the windows mobile OS and as far as notifications the w10m is the worst of then all, and I thank you all the suggestion and solutions but I'm already aware of those solutions. As a insider a do "a lot" of hard reset a I don't use backups so that I can test new build with a clean install. The apps are all managed by the OS, I don't need to improve the battery life, it doesn't matter if i use Wi-Fi or the sim card data connection, the problem still stands, even the Fitbit app gives wrong notifications.

THEbonecrusher

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had this issue since pre-WP8.1, the WP8 days. You need to do a hard reset. If that doesn't solve it, do a hard reset without restoring any backup. If that fails, a reflash. Notifications with WM10 have been excellently reliable for me all round, the problems were with WP8, not WM10. This is, however, a known sign of the need for a hard reset. Should be less necessary with major updates from now on due to the update changes introduced with the creators update.

Thanks!! Previously, I did a hard reset with restore and it did not fix the issue.

Using your advice, I just did a hard reset WITHOUT restoring from backup. Messaging notifications seem to be working now. It's a pain to have to reload and setup everything again, but it's working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720