Creator update decrease in battery life

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced a decrease in battery life after installing the creator update, and if so, are there any fixes?

(The decrease in battery life is accompanied by the fan running really fast and a high amount of memory and CPU being used).

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced a decrease in battery life after installing the creator update, and if so, are there any fixes?

(The decrease in battery life is accompanied by the fan running really fast and a high amount of memory and CPU being used).

I could only comment to Windows 10 mobile devices...

What device are you using?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

Assuming your question is for Windows PC.

Just suggestions :

1. Right click at the battery icon at system tray > select Power Options.
Make sure it is NOT on High Performance Plan.

2. Settings > System > Battery > Battery Saver > select the % when to turn on battery saver.

Last edited:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@BGreaer
Yeah try Battery Saver or make a custom power plan that works best for you.

I believe if you make a custom power plan you can set the amount of CPU usage your device uses to something a bit lower or change a few others in there that might help out.

Also check to see if you have anything running in the background or at startup using task manager.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Are you using Edge? If so try to use another browser (not Chrome, since it uses about the same amount of resources as Edge, rather Firefox or Opera or anything else) to see if that changes anything. I've heard about issues with battery life because of Edge and I can confirm that even my desktop Core i5 7600 gets loud when I'm loading particularly this page full of ads.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Try using Task Manager to 'manage' your background and start-up tasks. There might be an errant win32 program hogging your resources. It happens (which is why Windows 10 S exists). You could also try creating a custom power plan like mentioned above. You might even try optimizing your hard drive and making sure your computer is running as smoothly as possible. Clear out old junk files, defrag, etc. etc. etc.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Did you find what processes/services were using the High CPU/Memory?

Peter Cording

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Yes my phone is useless now the battery won't last through the day and I am going back to my Lumina 930 it is probably Cortana being forced on us and even disabled it runs continuously.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I did, I found that system and edge were to blame. I've managed to decrease the CPU usage of system (via Registry Editor) and I'm now in the process of moving stuff from Edge to Firefox.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss