Google pop-up

oogleman

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 v1607, only use Edge browser. Since last windows update , every time I open up my homepage (google search page) I get a pop-up asking if I want to try google chrome. It has a "No Thanks" to get rid of it, but it re-appears every time I open Edge. Any ideas on how to get rid of it permanently?? :unhappy:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Only way to get rid of that is to stop using Google. That has nothing to do with Microsoft, that's a Google thing. There might be some wizardry you can use to stop Edge from allowing that pop-up, but if there is I don't know what it is.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 v1607, only use Edge browser. Since last windows update , every time I open up my homepage (google search page) I get a pop-up asking if I want to try google chrome. It has a "No Thanks" to get rid of it, but it re-appears every time I open Edge. Any ideas on how to get rid of it permanently?? :unhappy:

Yes google does that in youtube and search, for anyone that doesn't use chrome. Its a lot of what prompted me to cease using google search, and to use apps that supress ads for youtube. It really put me off google, which is ad heavy enough already, without damned pop-ups.

If you search from a homepage, use qrobe.it instead (it searches bing, yahoo and google, and strips out the ads). Also duckduckgo, and in some countries (like the US, india), bing is also good.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, Microsoft tried to dissuade me from changing my default browser to Firefox ("new" used PC and I'm giving Windows 10 a second go) with an extra dialog of "wait but Edge is great! just try it!" and I don't appreciate it.

And the news of the battery notification saying something like "use Edge to save power" makes it seem like Google is fighting on their turf and Microsoft on theirs, but its a lot less simple to switch OS's.

Firefox guys! It's independent!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
To be fair, Microsoft tried to dissuade me from changing my default browser to Firefox ("new" used PC and I'm giving Windows 10 a second go) with an extra dialog of "wait but Edge is great! just try it!" and I don't appreciate it.

And the news of the battery notification saying something like "use Edge to save power" makes it seem like Google is fighting on their turf and Microsoft on theirs, but its a lot less simple to switch OS's.

Firefox guys! It's independent!

I used to be all Firefox but I've gotten so used to Edge that every time I use Firefox I feel like I'm using the most ancient and slowest browser in the world. I'm not, of course, Firefox is a perfectly fine browser. It just doesn't tickle me like it used to. It's a really weird effect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos