Microsoft Reportedly Testing New Phone With New Windows Mobile OS

romo11

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You may be wondering what happened to Microsoft's ambitions in the mobile space. The company has been creating a lot of hardware lately, but it's focused on its Surface-branded line of devices running 'full' Windows. A new Windows Mobile handset hasn't been in the rumors for quite some time now.

That changes today, because a new unconfirmed report now claims that Microsoft is testing just such a device. The revelation apparently comes from two different sources inside the company, so it may be accurate. The bad news? The phone is said to be running a "different" branch of Windows Mobile.

This has a UI that is different from what we're used to seeing in Windows 10 Mobile, but it's not set in stone yet because it's still "early days" for the development of this new interface. Yes, you read that correctly. Once again, Microsoft may be looking to "reinvent" the mobile experience, in yet another desperate attempt to set its OS apart from its rivals.

And yes, this could in fact mean a new 'cut' in support for older Windows Mobile apps, which aren't going to work with this new UI. Silverlight apps in particular seem doomed.

Even if all of this is true now, keep in mind that plans change, and they may be altered significantly in the coming months, before that phone that's currently in testing sees the light of day. Speaking of which, it's very unclear when the new handset might become available - it could be as much as a year from now, or "less if it receives good reviews internally and gets fast tracked".

Microsoft is reportedly testing a new phone running a new branch of Windows Mobile - GSMArena.com news
New UI is OK, but Microsoft should modify full version of Windows, add the third mode for mobiles. Windows 10 M is dead.

MARTY1774

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
You may be wondering what happened to Microsoft's ambitions in the mobile space. The company has been creating a lot of hardware lately, but it's focused on its Surface-branded line of devices running 'full' Windows. A new Windows Mobile handset hasn't been in the rumors for quite some time now.

That changes today, because a new unconfirmed report now claims that Microsoft is testing just such a device. The revelation apparently comes from two different sources inside the company, so it may be accurate. The bad news? The phone is said to be running a "different" branch of Windows Mobile.

This has a UI that is different from what we're used to seeing in Windows 10 Mobile, but it's not set in stone yet because it's still "early days" for the development of this new interface. Yes, you read that correctly. Once again, Microsoft may be looking to "reinvent" the mobile experience, in yet another desperate attempt to set its OS apart from its rivals.

And yes, this could in fact mean a new 'cut' in support for older Windows Mobile apps, which aren't going to work with this new UI. Silverlight apps in particular seem doomed.

Even if all of this is true now, keep in mind that plans change, and they may be altered significantly in the coming months, before that phone that's currently in testing sees the light of day. Speaking of which, it's very unclear when the new handset might become available - it could be as much as a year from now, or "less if it receives good reviews internally and gets fast tracked".

Microsoft is reportedly testing a new phone running a new branch of Windows Mobile - GSMArena.com news

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
The new c shell is a good reason to reboot it will blur the lines considerably between devices, your phone is a pc / tablet your pc / tablet can make calls. Ms really need to promote and sell this concept, Ms have come a long way in tech and os design improvements they now need to make the same great advances in marketing. Because let's face it Ms marketing is p poor.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Didn't they just launch Windows 10 Mobile... What's the point of sticking around if they will reboot every other year and cut phones

Sent from Idol 4s
It's a long road map for Windows 10/X from my perspective. Microsoft is the only one navigating it though. For one they are future proofing the OS. Two the mobile OS was a stepping stone to other things. What we think their intentions or reasons are for doing what they are doing are usually far from what is actually going on.

da1stprince

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how they can lose with this strategy of convergence... All that's needed once the lines are blurred between desktop mobile,etc is for the development of UWP apps and services to be handled very aggressively.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Present windows phone is almost dead in all aspects. Reboot will help only if they it is user friendly.
The W10 you use now in your home will be on all three form factors PC/Tablet/Mobile with c-shell allowing to adapt to each form factor. So if you use W10 now it will be the same user interface on those form factors.

Still I'm wondering if the new said device/platform could run an off shoot from W10m/W10. The Andromeda concept could just be the new path for mobile in the consumer space and use the best of mobile and PC plus use its own "New Experiences" integrated in, whatever that might be.

Last edited:

www_tgsnt_tv

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Where is the evidence that the UWP apps won't work on this new UI? If anything, everything point to the fact that
the UWP apps will continue to work as expected.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
It would be nice if the 3 proposed form factors for Windows all had the same apps available. For example many apps exist on the but are not available for mobile. also isn't the difference between tablet and desktop just touch, and therefore shouldn't any tablet based UWP app run on mobile?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
This will be another mobile product that is dead on arrival. There are simply no UWP apps in the store. Even on Windows 10 desktop, the app store is pretty empty of big titles. Since a phone cannot run anything else, it will be a disaster.

Also, knowing Panos Panay, he will likely continue his love of proprietary charging and not give us USB-C on any new phone. So that will be a double disaster.

Microsoft has been using the Apple playbook of locking people into buying only Microsoft accessories. There is no way I would support that with my money.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This will be another mobile product that is dead on arrival. There are simply no UWP apps in the store. Even on Windows 10 desktop, the app store is pretty empty of big titles. Since a phone cannot run anything else, it will be a disaster.

Also, knowing Panos Panay, he will likely continue his love of proprietary charging and not give us USB-C on any new phone. So that will be a double disaster.

Microsoft has been using the Apple playbook of locking people into buying only Microsoft accessories. There is no way I would support that with my money.
We are entitled to our opinions. But the truth is we won't know what is coming until it's presented to us. The idea of UWP is new so we can't see the fruits of that yet, but the fact of that is that it's growing. Google recently updated their app to UWP. It will take time, that's for sure. USB C/Thunderbolt 3 is the future and is only used in a handful of hw so I'm banking on that personally.

meir602

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am excited about new hardware.

i don't think a reboot is a bad idea if there is a Microsoft push to create/recreate the popular apps. Microsoft needs to do whatever this takes, financial incentives, relationships, cross marketing - whatever.

Apps are the key. It is what has always kept windows back and always will.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Introducing the Surface Pocket (Note/Moleskin/Slate?) with Windows 10 S. A personal portable computer. Oh, it'll also take phone calls.

Whatever they do needs to be a computer first. The moment people think it's supposed to be a cellphone, it fails. This needs to be the thing that makes people think "If I get this, I won't need to carry a laptop/tablet and a cell phone anymore."
Much like the Surface Pro line made people think "If I get this, I won't need to carry a tablet and my laptop anymore."

Edit: Things like T-Mobile's DIGITS plan and e-sim now begin to blur the lines of what a phone is. If Surface strikes at the right time, people wont care what form factor answers their calls.

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
If MS are looking to reboot WP, they need to hit the ground running and somehow have iOS or Play apps run on the phone with the level that they do on their respective platforms.

Having recently switched to the HTC 10 from the L950, the two things I miss are Cortana and the Home/Start screen. Other than that, I have Ebay, Amazon, various Courier apps and All the banking apps as well as Android Pay and a few other apps not available on WP that are far more convenient than trying to use the corresponding websites on a mobile device. Being able to log into the banking app for instance just by using a fingerprint rather than going through the whole 2 or 3 login pages and have to carry a card reader around with me.

Unless things like this are available from the get-go, there's just never going to be any appeal to anyone outside of the enthusiastic fans. And the only way to get these apps quickly enough is to have some kind of iOS or Android emulation or compatibility.

The best thing a phone can do for me is mean I can carry less around in my pockets. With the HTC 10 I don't need my wallet at all. I can use the phone to pay for things, even have my bus ticket purchased and used with the phone, don't even need to carry a ticket around with me.

I hope that WP does relaunch and have success, but I just have trouble seeing it. No matter which way anyone tries to convince themselves otherwise, there just aren't the apps there for the masses. people don't want workarounds, they want things that work with minimal fuss, without that, it's not attractive to the general public.

metllicamilitia

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I’d be interested in seeing a new UI. I haven’t had much time playing working Windows Mobile, but it is an interesting UI. However, I also think the UI is one of the reasons it never caught on like Android and iOS. Even Blackberry had an app drawer and icon layout. I don’t know how Windows 10 Mobile is, but the grid layout I played with before just isn’t quite the same. It would be nice to see Microsoft break out in the mobile OS world and get some app coverage from more companies. I would definitely take a good long look at that point.

Nisarg9694

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I just wish that in spite of the time taken, the windows phone market being left to bleed without a replacement or update as far as hardware market was concerned, and in spite of withdrawal of marketing ( those associated with marketing Lumia phones), I wish that this reboot happens sooner than ever because all the things have given an impression to others that Microsoft is least concerned about their loyal mobile users, yet we hardcore fans have their patience tested since a long time. Soon™ should be kept aside by Microsoft really sooner, and once the mobility is redefined I wish the loyal users are prioritized not just by releasing a new form factor but also by resolving first party app problem.
Yup, you know being stagnant serves no purpose and a reboot, if prioritized and supported in all manners possible, might help us. Also, I'm really interested in Microsoft stepping up in the game of mobile OS (and also release of exclusive apps, especially photography apps❤).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos