Another app bites the dust....

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
The watch Disney Jr app is being shutdown effective 05/31/2017 according to a splash screen when I open the app. While this may not seem like a crucial app for some, my kiddo loved watching shows on it....:crying:

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't matter if it's a crucial app to others, just that you're going to miss it. To me the majority of the apps aren't crucial but that doesn't make me miss them less

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
The watch Disney Jr app is being shutdown effective 05/31/2017 according to a splash screen when I open the app. While this may not seem like a crucial app for some, my kiddo loved watching shows on it....:crying:

I was just thinking that i seemed to be seeing more apps coming back into the store. I just downloaded Calendar for Business and Traffic; 2 excellent apps!! I use all the Perfect Thumb family of apps; they are great too. I'm not feelin' any 'app gap'; if there isn't an app, i just pin the mobile web page (using Edge) to my start screen... just as good as any app....

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just discovered the same message from the Watch Disney app. It says that you can continue to watch at watchdisneychannel.com, but the website from the Edge mobile browser only directs users to use the app.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170623_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20170623_0002.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 12
  • wp_ss_20170623_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20170623_0001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 12

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I was just thinking that i seemed to be seeing more apps coming back into the store. I just downloaded Calendar for Business and Traffic; 2 excellent apps!! I use all the Perfect Thumb family of apps; they are great too. I'm not feelin' any 'app gap'; if there isn't an app, i just pin the mobile web page (using Edge) to my start screen... just as good as any app....

That may work for you, but if it was a viable option for the public in general Windows mobile market share wouldn't be 1%.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I never understood this push for apps. The only reason to have something as a true app is to gain access to a devices sensors (gps, thermal, etc) or possinly some personal info for easy interoperbility purposes like contacts or calendar or something. The vast majority of apps don't need it. All that functionality can be built into a web page. If you do java or html 5, you can get access with permission from the user to some of that hardware anyway on the device your looking at the webpage from.
An APP to watch videos/tv content, wholly unnecessary, any webpage can do that. If content providers put their efforts into well functioning webpages, then they'd be supported an ALL devices, ALL platforms. Gee, where have I heard this before, oh yeah, 1994 when web pages started popping up and I could browse the web on my AIX machine, and ebay worked on my monochrome text only mitsubishi palm phone, and my bank let me make a deposit from my windows NT machine. Things I CAN"T do today because they've only put basic functions on the web, and you have to have their APP to do anything real. So, we've gone backwards from 1994 in that sense, you can do less, on less platforms and devices.
I believe alot of the push comes from app makers just wanting to suck off all your personal info for their uses, when I see a stopwatch app that needs access to my contacts, calendar, gps, and camera... that's where I get worried.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I never understood this push for apps. The only reason to have something as a true app is to gain access to a devices sensors (gps, thermal, etc) or possinly some personal info for easy interoperbility purposes like contacts or calendar or something. The vast majority of apps don't need it. All that functionality can be built into a web page. If you do java or html 5, you can get access with permission from the user to some of that hardware anyway on the device your looking at the webpage from.
An APP to watch videos/tv content, wholly unnecessary, any webpage can do that. If content providers put their efforts into well functioning webpages, then they'd be supported an ALL devices, ALL platforms. Gee, where have I heard this before, oh yeah, 1994 when web pages started popping up and I could browse the web on my AIX machine, and ebay worked on my monochrome text only mitsubishi palm phone, and my bank let me make a deposit from my windows NT machine. Things I CAN"T do today because they've only put basic functions on the web, and you have to have their APP to do anything real. So, we've gone backwards from 1994 in that sense, you can do less, on less platforms and devices.
I believe alot of the push comes from app makers just wanting to suck off all your personal info for their uses, when I see a stopwatch app that needs access to my contacts, calendar, gps, and camera... that's where I get worried.

I don't begin to pretend I understand all the technicalities of it, but it seems to me its easier for an app Dev to build functionality into their app than relying on all website content providers to do the same. Thus apps have become popular. I certainly could be wrong though.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

You're right, advancements in web page design hasn't quite evolved like they proposed. Even if it did I cannot see where a browser could be a replacement for the specific functionality of thousands of apps, those that require no data/wifi connection.

Right now and IMHO, many apps provide better scaling for smaller displays and simplify what a web page can provided, essentially a much cleaner interface that's more easily navigated. In today's world apps are essential and don't see that changing for a looong time, actually doubting I'll see it to the degree you perceive it should be in my lifetime.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

And if there is no web page to be had due to an apps specific functionality or, can't access the web page because "browser/OS" is not supported, how does one get around that?

The problem is, if a platform is catering to only a select few then "we have a problem Houston".

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
And if there is no web page to be had due to an apps specific functionality or, can't access the web page because "browser/OS" is not supported, how does one get around that?

The problem is, if a platform is catering to only a select few then "we have a problem Houston".

Its fine if its a workaround for one or two websites, but it can't be an excuse. Like you said, apps can give much better functionality than your average website.

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
apps can give much better functionality than your average website.

See, this is the problem. This perception here. THis is wholly untrue. It's code. Whether the code is in javascript, a java app, html5 or a phone app, you can make it do pretty much whatever you want. It's a matter of devoting resources to doing it right. Right now, the devotion is to phone apps. But this could just as easily be devoted to a webpage that has the same or better functionality.

Elky64 said:
because "browser/OS" not supported
This here is just bad programmers. If your coding a website, you test it. OS not supported I've never seen, if a browser compiles and runs on your OS, the webpage should work. Browser not supported is a two fold issue. One, you had companies, like microsoft, making their own standards because they thought they owned the world. Two, you had programmers who were just lazy. Even today I visit companies that say oh this internal web page her eonly works with IE. I grant you, it's a problem. But, these problems here are much more solvable by a community or even individuals than waiting for one large entity to "fix" or "include" something.

Elky64 said:
Right now and IMHO, many apps provide better scaling for smaller displays and simplify what a web page can provided, essentially a much cleaner interface that's more easily navigated.
Right now yes, this is true. HOwever, it's only because web programmers are lazy. Any website can detect what browser (mobil version, screen size etc) is coming in the door and display content based on that. Many do it very very well. Amazon. Newegg, ebay, mcmaster-carr , many news sites, all have very very nice mobile versions of their website . Many won't do something in a webpage precisely to steer you to their app because they can gain more information about YOU, from an app. WHich is behavior, I for one could do without.

Elky64 said:
Even if it did I cannot see where a browser could be a replacement for the specific functionality of thousands of apps, those that require no data/wifi connection.
I don't know of very many apps that don't require an internet connection. There's some electrical wire and conduit sizing one I use. But even it requires because they want to show you ads. And while I don't like the trend, pretty soon, anything and everything is going to require an internet connection to operate, that's just the trend of how things are going right now. They'll start with, well, you can not connect your new fridge to the internet, but, if you have a problem, it will require it, or they'll deny warranty coverage because they couldn't monitor it for problems or update its firmware themselves constantly because you never connected it. Tesla already does this today. I hope this doesn't come to pass for most things, but, jebus, even light bulbs are "smart" now. My new garage door opener I had to order specifically the "old" model because I didn't want to pay $20 extra for a "smart" door opener. Who the hell cares about the status of their garage door when their not home. Leave, watch it close as your pulling away, your done. I don't need a damn app or need to know the "status" of my garage door via the internet!! Anyway, it's just the trend I see now. While some want all ths stuff, mostly, I see it being stuffed down your throat. I had to go out of my way to find the download version of the tax program I use, mostly they steer you towards their online cloud version. Same with quickbooks. Same with ALOT of stuff. Hell, i'd be surprised if you can buy a harddrive or SD card in 10 years, they're damn near forcing people to use online storage today. There are some apps that don't and shouldn't require an internet connection, say, a calculator, or stopwatch, even games. ANd these should be apps.

I think the main point is, you had lazy web programmers when "smart" phones came out. Apple capitalized on that, and apps were born. Well, Palm had this before, but nobody made apps for palm that duplicated web stuff, and the web stuff worked poorly because you had lazy web programmers.
There's a reason apple wholly refused to let flash run on their phones, because at that time, flash was used on a large number of websites, and flash worked like garbage on some phones, apple wanting a seemless experience, force people to write apps if they wanted access their the people using their phones to ensure a seamless experience. But this was detrimental in my opinion.
Basically, you have two giant companies that control what goes on with your phone, and your best interests are not their primary or even secondary concern. Mabey I'm just old school, I've been around long enough to watch the dawn of the internet for the public as we know it (I was using talk on solaris over the .edu internet to talk with my GF in another state in 1989 because phone calls were expensive!), the browser wars, WAP, Palm's domination for a while. apple and googles rise in the mobile space (Hell, apple and googles rise in general, or in apples case rise and fall and rise!).

Websites CAN function today just as well as any app. SUre some apps just are better suited to being an app and I'm all for that. But the vast majority of apps are just a way to get content off the internet, interact with someone or some business entity, buy something, watch something etc. There is no reason to to have it as an app, IMO. And if there were websites that functioned properly , you'd have less privacy concerns, more platforms and devices, and none of this worrying if "an app" was coming for your device.

Last edited:

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
This here is just bad programmers. If your coding a website, you test it. OS not supported I've never seen, if a browser compiles and runs on your OS, the webpage should work.

All I can say is that WP/WM (10) is the ONLY device we've ever encountered such an issue, that I can remember. As for the OS not being supported, you'll have to ask MSFT about that one since, as well, I've never experienced it on another device, ever. Back in the 8.1 days this was not an issue so what does that tell me, MSFT missed the boat somewhere.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You reflect my recent comment to McDonalds. See below. The app that they are pushing supports the two, with no web equivalent. When you go to their comment site, Windows Phone OS is listed as a choice, but no app version.

Again, you send me offers that I am unable to use, BOGO on any large sandwich. As a Windows only user, you have no app to support my devices. It is time to create a browser app that will work all devices, including Windows. As another old programmer said to me, "Everyone has a browser." I have no interest in carrying a special device just use an app. Many companies that abandoned Windows mobile, now have web access to the equivalent features of their apps. The ones that do not, choose to ignore me as a customer. Think about it.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
And McDonalds' response.

Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's.

Again, thank you for contacting McDonald's about*the McDonald's Global Mobile App.*We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again soon under the Golden Arches.
Our goal is to make sure our customers enjoy using our app and your feedback will help us understand how we can improve it for our customers. We are continuously working to improve our McDonald's Global Mobile App.
Antoni
McDonald's Customer Contact Center

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre