Am I wasting my time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not just the apps anymore at this point. No new devices, no major updates planned, and the current software is buggy and not stable. After being WP fan for nearly 8 years, this is first time I have to actually consider jumping :(
I just jumped ship Android is nice. They have come a long way since I last used it. Microsoft isn't trying in the consumer space anymore honestly there's no need to keep hanging around when there's no new phones

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's not just the apps anymore at this point. No new devices, no major updates planned, and the current software is buggy and not stable. After being WP fan for nearly 8 years, this is first time I have to actually consider jumping :(

Which software on which hardware is buggy and unstable in your experience? Mine is stable as on Lumia 950.

There are updates planned. MS announced enterprise features coming late summer, and they also announced timeline, files on demand etc, will be coming to win10m at build (in fact they showed us one). Windows central also showed us a leaked build recently with cshell.

There is also in all likelihood at least two new phones. The HP refresh is extremely likely, and likely soon, and Andromeda is a pretty certain thing, although the new form factor device has no announcement or release date its pretty obvious from the code in windows.

Wharton brooks was told to holdoff on their new handset because there are some planned changes coming, and msft don't want to support them in rs3. So there is plenty afoot, but msft wants some OEMs to hold off for a bit, until its next step is made clear (likely Andromeda and 64 bit, but maybe some other major changes, and the exception of that being HP, who seem to be "inside the loop" of whatever the master plan is here)

Not at all saying all is rosey, but some of the things you stated are either not known, or not accurate and just wanted to point that out. There are major features coming, their are very likely to be phones, and probably a fair bit more than what I mentioned here, given coship, Wharton brooks, alcatel, and wiley foxes expressed interest in windows phones, as well as some less certain rumours about further msft phones ontop of Andromeda.

HBLEY

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
One thing that I am 100% sure of is I am not getting Windows phone ever. Pathetic experience. The last time I bought a windows phone it was some fancy model of Lumia and the phone was crap. I wanted to change my iphone 5 back then but then I kept it, untill last year and bough a new iPhone 7 plus 128 gb.

Windows phones are crap! IMO

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing that I am 100% sure of is I am not getting Windows phone ever. Pathetic experience. The last time I bought a windows phone it was some fancy model of Lumia and the phone was crap. I wanted to change my iphone 5 back then but then I kept it, untill last year and bough a new iPhone 7 plus 128 gb.

That's the thing about opinions. Just because you have them doesn't mean they're the same as everyone else's. I like it, I like iOS and Android too for all different reasons. Windows phone's offer something a bit different and I love the Lumia devices

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaving Windows 10 Mobile soon -- I can't do it anymore. I've been with Microsoft since the HTC Arrive back in 2010. I'm sporting a Lumia 735 that's a little over a year old (which, by the time I got the device, it was already aged in the market). I decided to enroll in the Insiders Program because the 735 isn't going to receive future Mobile updates. It's disheartening to know I own a device that I'll probably never be able to find a replacement for if it goes belly up. I knew what I was getting into when I enrolled, but the urge to want to try new features had essentially overridden any sort of drawbacks that Insider Builds may have. Boy was I wrong. I'm constantly having to power cycle the device for losses in connectivity, app crashes (good LORD the app crashes). I can't open attachments in Outlook. Facebook is worthless. Even Windows Central app on Mobile takes 6-9 tries to open. I don't care about the app gap, I would just like what I use to WORK. If I can take the Microsoft services I use to another platform and ride it out until Microsoft can get it together, then so be it. But right now, with no new hardware, no clear way forward with mobile (you can argue CShell all day long, but Microsoft's messaging on Mobile is God-awful at this point), then I'm going to take my money elsewhere. Hope it happens sometime next year Microsoft. I'll keep an eye on what's going on, but I can't take it anymore.

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm leaving Windows 10 Mobile soon -- I can't do it anymore. I've been with Microsoft since the HTC Arrive back in 2010. I'm sporting a Lumia 735 that's a little over a year old (which, by the time I got the device, it was already aged in the market). I decided to enroll in the Insiders Program because the 735 isn't going to receive future Mobile updates. It's disheartening to know I own a device that I'll probably never be able to find a replacement for if it goes belly up. I knew what I was getting into when I enrolled, but the urge to want to try new features had essentially overridden any sort of drawbacks that Insider Builds may have. Boy was I wrong. I'm constantly having to power cycle the device for losses in connectivity, app crashes (good LORD the app crashes). I can't open attachments in Outlook. Facebook is worthless. Even Windows Central app on Mobile takes 6-9 tries to open. I don't care about the app gap, I would just like what I use to WORK. If I can take the Microsoft services I use to another platform and ride it out until Microsoft can get it together, then so be it. But right now, with no new hardware, no clear way forward with mobile (you can argue CShell all day long, but Microsoft's messaging on Mobile is God-awful at this point), then I'm going to take my money elsewhere. Hope it happens sometime next year Microsoft. I'll keep an eye on what's going on, but I can't take it anymore.

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

If you wanted to have the latest updates, you should have purchased a windows 10 phone like the 650 or 950......

You really can't blame the platform for buying old hardware and putting on it unsupported software, can you? I mean I wouldn't.

I start to wonder if MSFT should have blocked people from coming from win8 to win10, or, recently, using windows insiders to get the latest updates, when I hear people more or less ascribe their experience to something to do with the platform rather than their unsupported and outdated hardware or just generally running software that was never designed for it and vice versa.

I've heard more than enough people do this too.

It's not the platform, the platform runs well. No issues whatsoever on a windows 10 phone AFAIK (maybe with the exception of the 4s which has some bugs due to lack of OEM firmware support).

Maybe MS in its attempt to appease people, just made them get a bad impression of windows 10m. Like VR on google cardboard or GTA on a laptop, or the movie avatar watched on a mobile screen.

Then again, maybe generally people didn't go on the insiders program, or upgraded their phones, and complaints just like the internet....

Last edited:

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Sure, buying other phones is great and all...if switching carriers and all that hassle was in the cards. But it wasn't. I bought my phone well over a year ago, how am i supposed to know that Microsoft will support some hardware over others later in the future? Microsoft basically jabbed a finger in the eye of pretty much anybody that didn't own a half dozen different handsets and said "you're on your own." It's the messaging (or lack thereof) that I'm taking issue with when it comes to mobile. They've been at this ever since Windows 10 was announced, and at this point the message im getting, along with arguably a LOT more people, is "we'll get there when we get there." Okay, fine. In the meantime, if i can't rely on receiving future updates, no new hardware on the horizon for the next 18 months or so, and only tantalizing glimpses of "what if," and currently limited options across different carriers...well, my point was originally in response to the OP -- "am i wasting my time?" I know i am. I'll come back to windows mobile when its ready.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you wanted to have the latest updates, you should have purchased a windows 10 phone like the 650 or 950......

You really can't blame the platform for buying old hardware and putting on it unsupported software, can you? I mean I wouldn't.<snip>

Drael, I'm not sure where you are in the world but in the US, a good amount of users are on Verizon. Verizon only allows Windows phones that they approve and accept on their network. The last phone they accepted was the 735, so no luck there for people in overboard08's situation. None of the windows 10 phones would actually even work on Verizon to start with. It's not their fault for being frustrated.

Just wanted to note that, because it sounds like you aren't aware of this situation.

Sure, buying other phones is great and all...if switching carriers and all that hassle was in the cards. But it wasn't. I bought my phone well over a year ago, how am i supposed to know that Microsoft will support some hardware over others later in the future? Microsoft basically jabbed a finger in the eye of pretty much anybody that didn't own a half dozen different handsets and said "you're on your own." It's the messaging (or lack thereof) that I'm taking issue with when it comes to mobile. They've been at this ever since Windows 10 was announced, and at this point the message im getting, along with arguably a LOT more people, is "we'll get there when we get there." Okay, fine. In the meantime, if i can't rely on receiving future updates, no new hardware on the horizon for the next 18 months or so, and only tantalizing glimpses of "what if," and currently limited options across different carriers...well, my point was originally in response to the OP -- "am i wasting my time?" I know i am. I'll come back to windows mobile when its ready.

I'm guessing you were/are on Verizon. I'm sorry that this situation has left you with no choice.

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks man -- yeah it's always been tough being a Windows mobile fan and being on Verizon. I had a Lumia icon but after my last deployment it kicked the bucket which essentially forced the 735 as my only viable option.

lefigo

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for all your troubles. It is a good move. I just bought one of the new phones and I sm having a lot of the same problems. Except aI still owe for most of my phone!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Drael, I'm not sure where you are in the world but in the US, a good amount of users are on Verizon. Verizon only allows Windows phones that they approve and accept on their network. The last phone they accepted was the 735, so no luck there for people in overboard08's situation. None of the windows 10 phones would actually even work on Verizon to start with. It's not their fault for being frustrated.

Just wanted to note that, because it sounds like you aren't aware of this situation.

I'm guessing you were/are on Verizon. I'm sorry that this situation has left you with no choice.

Well that sucks, means you'd have to use windows 8.1 mobile for a stable experience.

But this said, I have never purchased a phone on contract. I buy the phone, and the sim card and put them together. Surely there's nothing stopping anyone doing that?

Not officially supported by the carrier obviously, but still should have no issues so long as you match the frequency right?

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Drael646464
Originally Posted by libra89

Well that sucks, means you'd have to use windows 8.1 mobile for a stable experience.

But this said, I have never purchased a phone on contract. I buy the phone, and the sim card and put them together. Surely there's nothing stopping anyone doing that?

Not officially supported by the carrier obviously, but still should have no issues so long as you match the frequency right?

Depends on the carrier. Most international companies, especially ones using GSM, are very flexible when it comes to using multiple SIM cards with multiple phones. Companies that use CDMA, like Verizon, have numbers integrated into either the device or SIM card that authorize that device on that network.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

As overboard08 said, doing that is a waste of time and money because it's not going to work, regardless.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
As overboard08 said, doing that is a waste of time and money because it's not going to work, regardless.

Oh that's right, Verizon is one of the few companies in the world that uses, or still uses cdma. I'd never heard of it until you guys (folks here at wc) brought it up. Weird such a network is the most popular in the US, the place that got fibre before the rest of the world pretty much...

That whole thing kinda sucks. Are there any decent carriers not using outdated tech? (as waiting till the end of 2019 when Verizon drops cdma, does not seem like a very good option for windows fans)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Oh that's right, Verizon is one of the few companies in the world that uses, or still uses cdma. I'd never heard of it until you guys (folks here at wc) brought it up. Weird such a network is the most popular in the US, the place that got fibre before the rest of the world pretty much...

That whole thing kinda sucks. Are there any decent carriers not using outdated tech? (as waiting till the end of 2019 when Verizon drops cdma, does not seem like a very good option for windows fans)

Unfortunately, all carriers are not equal in all areas, so there are options but it still depends on where they are.

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I mean, AT&T/TMo are rocking Lumia 950 series, not sure what the HP x3 is on but im assuming some GSM-style network. LTE is become the standard though - sure CDMA is rarely found outside the US, but CDMA network companies are transitioning to LTE because of its capabilities. LTE was originally an evolution of GSM, hence "long term evolution"...so eventually GSM will be replaced by LTE.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
One thing that I am 100% sure of is I am not getting Windows phone ever. Pathetic experience.

My experience has been great.

The last time I bought a windows phone it was some fancy model of Lumia and the phone was crap.

My phone has been great.

I wanted to change my iphone 5 back then but then I kept it, untill last year and bough a new iPhone 7 plus 128 gb.

No they're not. They're very good phones.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I just jumped ship Android is nice. They have come a long way since I last used it. Microsoft isn't trying in the consumer space anymore honestly there's no need to keep hanging around when there's no new phones

I hope you're wrong but you may be right.
If they don't make any more W10M devices and just barely keep the software updated (there's a lot of issues with CU on mobile), why bother unless you're currently happy and don't want anything more for a long time?
Also, I have a feeling any Surface phone or whatever it ends up being called will be too expensive for the average consumer.
If you don't meet one of those criteria its time to look elsewhere. BB10 users were forced to make the same decision in a way.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I hope you're wrong but you may be right.
If they don't make any more W10M devices and just barely keep the software updated (there's a lot of issues with CU on mobile), why bother unless you're currently happy and don't want anything more for a long time?
Also, I have a feeling any Surface phone or whatever it ends up being called will be too expensive for the average consumer.
If you don't meet one of those criteria its time to look elsewhere. BB10 users were forced to make the same decision in a way.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Even if it was true, bb10 users don't get features, via app changes on desktop, the ol 'trickle down'. And they have a smaller store that is shrinking not growing, unlike the windows store.

There are bb10 users who are clinging on for dear life, but the situation there is actually pretty dire - they have released what is their last update (fixes only), and their is basically one company trying to fill the gaps of major apps with paid software (nemory), like WhatsApp and facebook. Their desktop software doesn't support windows 10, and they have basically signalled 'we don't care if you have issues anymore, shutup'. Its a mess.

As far as windows, If one is happy with ones current phone, regardless of what MFST does really, one is going to be either the same or better pretty much AFAIK.

But there certainly is a lack of new phones. Hope HP pulls its rabbit out of its hat soon, so sky is falling win10m users can chill out a bit XD

Doug_M

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I like loved BB10. But it was time to move on. I went to an iPhone 6S which I had for about 6 months but just sold a couple weeks ago. Why? I used my iPad more so I wanted to get as much money out of the 6S as I could. Ended up buying a new 950 which just arrived yesterday. Love it! Only app I am missing is Tapatalk/mTalk. But the browser will get me by.

Like webOS and BB10, W10M and WP are so much better an OS experience than Android or iOS. For me that's enough. But I certainly understand the app gap blues that some experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)