Am I wasting my time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shandybang

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I love the Windows mobile system.

but, ive been using a iphone for the last year.
Windows services on IOS is fantastic.
I wanna come back to Windows mobile or what ever its gonna be called.
Apple is a money making machine and android is the work of the Google Devil.
I need the apps and stability.
Alot of users say they dont use apps, but I do!!
No apps, I will not be back.

I have re-bought a Lumia 950 in the hope Windows Mobile will be re-born.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I still keep coming back from iOS and Android. There's JUST enough of my apps left to keep me here still and using my 950xl. I just enjoy it whilst it lasts knowing some of my essential apps could be pulled at any time and if I need to jump again then so be it

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've had zero isssues with stability whatsoever on my 950 on insiders preview. I've only had it for a week, but it's stable as.

Apart from having to use lastpass for my banking, I've had no issue with apps either. Indeed I'm sure there's plenty I would like but I don't know about. I'm not every person that exists, but neither of these 'issues' has given me any concern personally. Plus app wise, UWP not being a phone specific platform, but the future of the whole windows platform, you know MSFT will do everything it can to get more UWPs in store.

ATM have 58 non-stock apps/games on my 950. That's more than I ever bothered installing on android on bb10 and probably more than I'll find actual use for (I'll probably end up deleting a few). When the average use only uses 4-6 apps on the regular and I probably use maybe a dozen regularly, I think the issue really isn't the number of apps here.

It's simply if it has the apps you'd "prefer to have", which for me, it does, other than banking for which there is a satisfactory work around.

I'm hoping kodi will run on win10m, especially in continuum when it comes to UWP. That would be boss for a travelling media player. That I would like to see.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
And yes you are wasting your time. We are all slowly rotting and on our way to death. What matters is the people you love, the meaning you find in life, how you grow. Every second spent on something else, is kind of a waste. We are all wasting time, but hopefully we enjoy it, forfilling just a tiny bit of the meaning component.

metllicamilitia

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I say use what works for you. If that’s iOS right now, then keep using it and see what happens with Windows Mobile. If you prefer Windows Mobile and can use right now and you want to, go for it. It’s all about the balance of availability and what works for you.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I say use what works for you. If that’s iOS right now, then keep using it and see what happens with Windows Mobile. If you prefer Windows Mobile and can use right now and you want to, go for it. It’s all about the balance of availability and what works for you.

Fully agreed. I can't in good conscience recommend WP to most anymore, only to those who knows what they're getting into.

Was an iPhone user from the 3G to my 6. Got an android to try out the OS and really couldn't get myself to like it.

When the inevitable comes, back to iPhone it is for me ☹

Sent from mTalk

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm still enjoying my 950 XL and it's absolutely gorgeous screen but if worse came to worse I'd go to Android. I'd get a OnePlus or Pixel and call it a day. It'd make me sad but I could do it.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I still love using my inexpensive Lumia 640. I can't get reception in my office when I try to use my Samsung Galaxy S7. Sure there are way more apps available on Android, but what good is it if the phone can't access them and I can access the important ones with my windows phone. I can listen to pandora or tune in radio, I can add my meals in myfitnesspal. I can check my home thermostat and play chess games online. Check my bank balance etc...

thewarriorchild

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I hate Android and would never get an iPhone. Windows Phone is so much easier to use. I am sorry it is going down the toilet... I wish Nokia still had Lumia ,way to kill a good thing... I will hang onto wp as long as I can but the end seems very near.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Fully agreed. I can't in good conscience recommend WP to most anymore, only to those who knows what they're getting into.

True that. During 2013/14, I always, and I mean always refer Lumia to my friends. Back then MS gave us hope that this OS will grow. I can't do that now, and me myself will switch to Nokia 6 soon.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have dipped my toes into Windows Phone/Mobile twice just as it looked like it was going somewhere and then it ended up not doing so. I suspect there won't be a third time though as it looks like it will be a premium product now that probably will also be overkill for my needs. Windows Mobile has basically become an enthusiasts OS.

It will still be interesting to see what Microsoft will come up with, but now it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to them bringing out a groundbreaking product. Even if it is groundbreaking doesn't necessarily mean it will do any better as history is full of instances of this.

I moved to Android and I have to admit that I no longer miss Windows Phone. That's not to say I didn't think my Lumia 640 wasn't a great phone but for some people, ie myself, the grass really has been greener.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I love the Windows mobile system.

but, ive been using a iphone for the last year.
Windows services on IOS is fantastic.
I wanna come back to Windows mobile or what ever its gonna be called.
Apple is a money making machine and android is the work of the Google Devil.
I need the apps and stability.
Alot of users say they dont use apps, but I do!!
No apps, I will not be back.

I have re-bought a Lumia 950 in the hope Windows Mobile will be re-born.

Even if you did buy a Lumia, the next generation of phones would be different. Thing is, the upcoming features and updates won't be a part of the current lineup.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Honestly u are wasting your time I just jumped ship this weekend. Most likely the phone u have now won't work when Windows 10 /c shell rolls out. What's the point of hanging around till the end? Facebook hasn't updated in forever either.

Don't get me wrong tho I loved windows 10 mobile but the developer support kills it. I'll be keeping a eye out and I have windows central on my android and oddly enough it's better than the Windows version also... The apps are better just switch and keep a eye out on the happenings on windows

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Android looks and feels worse than Windows 10 mobile phone does, and the overpriced iPhone's start menu looks like something for children to use.

Plus, the bugs and complaints on the other side(s) of the pond are just as prevalent, with even far worse issues they encounter. It's just that it's the end of the world when windows doesn't work 100% for some reason.

No, as long as you got your phone for a good price I don't think you're wasting your time. My Lumia 950 worked well when I got it last year, and it's only gotten better. I love it. If/when they discontinue Windows 10 Mobile/phones I'll probably get another phone for cheap as a backup. Switching over to Android or iPhone will be the last option .

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Even if you did buy a Lumia, the next generation of phones would be different. Thing is, the upcoming features and updates won't be a part of the current lineup.

No one knows that. We saw files on demand literally demo'd on a Lumia. We've seen cshell running on the x3. The next gen will be 64 bit so why would they even bother writing these for existing phones if they weren't going to release and what phones ARE they going to release for if not the current ones? (is there are no new phones yet). People keep saying this but what imaginary phones are they going the fcu on? Or the upcoming late summer productivity features? You can't release features to non existent phones.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
No one knows that. We saw files on demand literally demo'd on a Lumia. We've seen cshell running on the x3. The next gen will be 64 bit so why would they even bother writing these for existing phones if they weren't going to release and what phones ARE they going to release for if not the current ones? (is there are no new phones yet). People keep saying this but what imaginary phones are they going the fcu on? Or the upcoming late summer productivity features? You can't release features to non existent phones.

Isn't that a buildup to the so called 'surface phone'?
I personally am of the opinion that the new phone from Microsoft will be a step above or apart from the current phones. It's what the surface lineup is all about. I don't think they'd try to go head on with huge similarities. Just my opinion but that's the context i meant it in. :)

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Android looks and feels worse than Windows 10 mobile phone does, and the overpriced iPhone's start menu looks like something for children to use.

Plus, the bugs and complaints on the other side(s) of the pond are just as prevalent, with even far worse issues they encounter. It's just that it's the end of the world when windows doesn't work 100% for some reason.

No, as long as you got your phone for a good price I don't think you're wasting your time. My Lumia 950 worked well when I got it last year, and it's only gotten better. I love it. If/when they discontinue Windows 10 Mobile/phones I'll probably get another phone for cheap as a backup. Switching over to Android or iPhone will be the last option .

Not having a dark theme is enough for me to not use an iphone but hey, if you do get the right phone any phone can suit anyone. :)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Isn't that a buildup to the so called 'surface phone'?
I personally am of the opinion that the new phone from Microsoft will be a step above or apart from the current phones. It's what the surface lineup is all about. I don't think they'd try to go head on with huge similarities. Just my opinion but that's the context i meant it in. :)

IDK about "surface phone". I know they'll be releasing Andromeda but its not a candybar slab, runs on a separate OS SKU, and likely won't be here till next year.

And if the fabled surface phone is a thing, I doubt that'll be out till next year either.

So given they said continuum improvements and nitelite would be released in CU (but they weren't), stated that productivity features would be coming late summer, and heavily implied that timeline, Cortana skills and files on demand would come to win10 mobile (I'd guess in the FCU, or round then, given that's when it comes to PC) - surely those would release on devices that actually exist?

Yes, I believe they'll want to move to 64 bit, and I even believe that MSFT has some "phones" planned for next year, but they can't drop support for existing phones WHEN THERE ARE NO OTHER PHONES.

MFST is also insanely generous with support windows for its phones. All those phones that got 10, and then even those get CU on insiders preview, just as a fan gesture. Android and apple don't do that stuff.

Windoiws on arm, on tablets and laptops, is strategically huge for UWP. I'd also be letting that kick in before a new handset - you don't want all your new products released at once.

Transition is all about "hand over". That's why 7.8. That's why so many phones got 10. Why they even rolled out CU to those who wanted it, but weren't supported. That's why there isn't any real likelihood IMO of dropped support for the big four, until an actual new handset is released, and selling well.

There are still people using 8, so its not like all the people with 950's and x3s will all line up to swap their phone the moment whatever 1000 dollar behemoth comes out actually does.

And as I pointed out, why are these features like files on demand, and cshell even being demo'd on 32 bit machines at all, if all future chips by nature of QUALCOMM are going to be 64 bit? If they intended to drop support for all existing phones with these features, cshell wouldn't even run on a 32 bit cpu.

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not just the apps anymore at this point. No new devices, no major updates planned, and the current software is buggy and not stable. After being WP fan for nearly 8 years, this is first time I have to actually consider jumping :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb