Microsoft pulled LinkedIn from the Windows Store

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
If they are indeed making a new app, then they need to communicate that. Pulling the app and not saying anything sends a very bad message. Since Microsoft now owns LinkedIn, they should be able to control when and how these things happen. If they were pulling the app due to it being old and wanting to focus resources on other things, explain it. If they were currently developing a newer version, explain that. I am constantly wondering what the heck MS is thinking with the constant bad messaging. How hard is it to communicate? One of your companies plans to shut down an app for your own platform? How difficult is it to send out a press release saying "At Microsoft, we want our users to experience the best we have to offer. The current LinkedIn app is not doing that and as of right now, our website provides the best experience available on Windows mobile devices. We are pulling the app for now until our new UWP version has been completed (or we have no plans for a new app for Windows)". I just pulled that our of my arse, can't be that difficult for a corporation as large as Microsoft. It reeks of poor management and needs to be rectified. LinkedIn is a professional network. Microsoft focuses primarily on Enterprise. Windows 10 Mobile was apparently being focused on Enterprise. Am I missing the importance of LinkedIn on Windows 10 Mobile here???

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I expect they have pulled to to launch a UWP. There has never been a native LinkedIn app, i wager we will see one pop up. I would certainly expect it to be in the people hub in order to see that adopted.

spaceOpia1

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
MS should take themselves seriously when it comes to showing how great a platform Windows (mobile) is. I think the appGap problems will soon be eclipsed by the lack of seriouness MS puts into its own mobile solution (assuming they still want it alive...)

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I expect they have pulled to to launch a UWP. There has never been a native LinkedIn app, i wager we will see one pop up. I would certainly expect it to be in the people hub in order to see that adopted.

I assumed one of the reasons for the People Hub delay was for LinkedIn integration as it made sense to now that they acquired them. However, I am over expecting Microsoft to do anything. They will continue to do things without any proper explanation and build up uncertainty. While they are doing exceedingly well right now, an uncertain foundation can turn out to be catastrophic in the long run.

If MS is allowing LinkedIn to operate independently like Skype according to @deadonthefloor , then I think it's safe to not hold my breath for positive news as majority companies including MS like to avoid Windows phones for app development unfortunately.

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I got a reply long time back when I asked for an update in par with android app that linkedin is working closely with Microsoft. So hopefully will get a proper update and universal app soon.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170621_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20170621_0001.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yup. Funny how that works. You would think that now they own it, Microsoft would have at least ported their iOS version over by now using their own tools they want everyone to use. To me it seems as if they either don't have the confidence in the tool or are too busy arguing about what the new iPhone will be like this year. If Microsoft has a long-term strategy with Windows for mobile devices, it sure as hell wont have a nice ecosystem of apps on launch at this rate. Why should developers build for UWP when Microsoft themselves can't be bothered to even port their apps over from iOS/Android in the meantime?

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
From what recruiters and people in the job search community are saying, MSFT has significant influence on what is going on with LI. These are folks who have in the past had close and significant contact with LinkedIn employees pre-acquisition.

From what I've been told, the removal of advanced search was not supported by original LI employees. If LI was going to make that change, why wait. Also moving to a $60/month paid structure for functionality that was previously available for free was not supported. I understand that HR departments and recruiters use LI but thinking that someone who is looking for a job is going to pay $60/month is kind of crazy.

I'm guessing that the dumbing down of the LI web interface to mimic the mobile experience was MSFT's decision also. Maybe that makes the development of a UWP app easier but iOS and Android don't seem to have a problem existing.

Mark Furey

May 1, 2017
Visit site
I can put up with a lot ,but taking Linkedin a way...thats just wrong. Come on Micosoft, support your small but loyal user. We support you. I want Windows phone to work! Come on don't do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte