Interested in getting into WP, need some advice.

drparham81

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

I have been interested in getting a Windows Phone now for about 7 or so months now. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 as my daily driver.

I realize this is probably the worst time to get on board with WP, but i've more and more been wanting a device that works in my device eco system more.

Also frankly, i'm bored with Android.

I have narrowed down the three phones to choose from as:
950XL
Alcatel 4S
Elite X3

It seems like the X3 and 950 xl have the best 'support' in terms of updates from W10, and firmware updates.

However I have some concerns with some of the buggyness of the X3 that I've been reading about. For the 950 XL i'm not sure how the hardware performance will compare to my current Note 5.

The Alcatel 4S seems to be some where in the middle, better hardware then the 950xl, (except for camera) but doesn't seem to be supported by Alcatel.

I'm also hoping that a new W10 mobile device with CShell comes out in 2018, or early 2019 that I will be replacing this device with. I originally wasn't even considering the X3 due to the cost, but since it's down to $499, I figured it would be worth throwing in to the mix for consideration.

Curious what individuals who have maybe used several of these devices can tell me that might help my decision.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Don't. But if you really want to, I would go with the 950XL. Best camera and has a camera button. Best support for updates. Runs plenty fast and has the most cases etc available for it. I had to buy 1 a few months ago because my 1520 died and I may have been lucky but mine runs really nice. Stay on the official builds, keep it updated and you should be good to go. I have a few bugs but they are OS related, issues with Edge and stuff like that. The phone however, I am happier with it than I thought I would be. Fast, smooth, nice screen, great camera, replaceable battery. You can dress it up with Mozo covers if you don't like the look. Coming from the 1520, I wish the screen was bigger but if someone is getting in to WP, I think the 950XL is still the phone to get.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd buy something cheap like a Lumia 640, 650, 550 for under $100 or $50 or so.

You'll still get to experience Windows 10 Mobile, design, UX, bugs and all, but then you wouldn't have sunk as much money as you would have.

Windows 10 Mobile as we know it, it looks like it's days are numbered and I wouldn't bank on CShell because it's essentially little more than an upgraded start menu and W10M needs a lot more than that to compete. Except MS doesn't care for competing anymore.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Dont do it. I've been a long time Windows Phone user, but I can't recommend anybody switch to the platform at this point. It's a dying platform. The few apps we have are gradually being discontinued, and Windows 10 Mobile is still loaded with bugs and lacking in features compared to Android. You will be disappointed.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I realize this is probably the worst time to get on board with WP, but i've more and more been wanting a device that works in my device eco system more.

Actually, Android and iOS probably work better with Windows and MS software than their own Mobile OS does. Of course, if you have need for something like Continuum then I can appreciate you wanting one of the flagships but I really don't see the point of getting a WM10 device since they'll be discontinued soon.

Also frankly, i'm bored with Android.

Ah, my favourite statement. 'I'm bored'. If you want pure boredom than by all means go with W10M. You'll find a lack of apps, developers leaving, and an interface which is nice but really, does it make that much of a difference?

I'm not saying don't try W10M but I think I'll go with the suggestion of another poster here and that is get a cheaper device, try it, make sure it has what you want than go for a flagship if that's what you really want.

Or, better yet, wait until the next thing comes along, then you can be a MS guinea pig like we were and then wait for them to 'reinvent' things yet again only to abandon their platform once again... Yeah I'm not that optimistic.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I am with the others. Don't do it.

I used Android for 4 years and in early 2015 switched to Windows phone because they had decent market share and I am a Microsoft fan.

Today, I'm actually considering switching out my Lumia 950 for a Samsung Galaxy S8. I am the power user in the house and I'm sick when my wife can do more with her S7 than I can with my Lumia 950. She can deposit checks from her phone, and her smart thermostat and home security system apps are way better than the Silverlight BS of apps I'm dealing with. Her music player is PowerAmp which runs circles around Groove for local music playback.

I was like you two years ago. I was bored of Android and I wanted to try something different. Now I'm bored of W10M. I used to do more with my Galaxy S2 than today with my Windows 10 Mobile phone.

In the end, the phone is a TOOL, it's not a flag to announce your loyalty to a company.

There are plenty of MS apps on Android, especially Cortana. Looking forward to switching back, as painful as it is, but MS is causing most of the pain. I am sure I will have some regrets, but I will have more regrets if I keep down this path.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo