Windows 10 Creators Update on 3 Comps, Chkdsk Issues.

robertcuban

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
So far, I've installed the Creators Update on three different machines here and so far, although the installations have gone fine and I've had no problems with rebooting, program operation, etc., there has been a problem running Chkdsk after the install. At this point, I've seen no other problems with the updates and it's only a quirk that caused me to run Chkdsk after each of the installs, but I am seeing an issue there.

As a test for different ways to install the update, I've used 3 different machines and 3 different methods of installing. All three computers were updated to the most recent version of Windows 10 version 1607 x 64 with current Windows Updates and all had the same free Avira antivirus installed prior to install. But I uninstalled the Avira product prior to installing the update. All three of the computers were first upgraded from their original operating systems to the first version of Windows 10 in 2015. On a Sony Ultrabook, (i3-3227u @ 1.9 GHZ with 4 GB Ram originally with Win8.1, then Win10), I used the online Windows 10 Update Assistant from the Media Creation Tool page to simply upgrade the computer over the internet. On a custom built desktop (i3-3240 @ 3.4 GHZ with 8 GB RAM originally with Windows 7, then Win10), I installed while offline from a Windows 10 installation DVD made from an ISO with all USB devices unplugged. And on the third, a similar desktop to the previous one, I installed directly from the ISO on the computer.

After the Windows 10 version 1703 updates were made, all taking over an hour to perform, the restarts went fine and all systems ran fine. No problems were apparent and to verify disk/file I decided to run Chkdsk from a command line, using the re-starting method on each one. The Sony Ultrabook restarted correctly and Chkdsk ran normally before Windows loaded, as it should. No errors noted. Unfortunately, neither of the desktops would run Chkdsk correctly. Instead of Chkdsk/Autochk loading its screen during restart, the computer simply booted up to normal Windows. On one of the desktops, I "undid" the new update and reverted back to the previous Windows 10 version 1607 and Chkdsk ran normally, showing no file or free space errors. So it ran fine again in version 1607. Reinstalling the Version 1703 update had the same failed result. Chkdsk would NOT run after the computer restarted.
Yes, I could run Chkdsk from the Recovery Options on the installation disk or from an "F8/Repair my computer" and there were no errors listed in the read-only version of the test, but Chkdsk still won't run normally from a restart on those two machines. After checking online for others with the same problem, I investigated the registry listing at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Bootexecute" and the default value is supposed to be: "autocheck autochk *". On the Sony laptop, the value is exactly that. On both desktops, although the default value is correct as above, after a failed attempt to run Chkdsk, the value changes to: "autocheck autochk /r \??\C: autocheck autochk *" and repeated attempts continue to fail. So, I ran "SFC /scannow" to see if there are corrupt files. None were detected and I also compared the Autochk.exe files on all three computers and they all seem to be the same software tool video versions, space occupied, etc. I even re-downloaded the installation ISO and re-imaged a DVD, then ran the update process again, just in case the first download was faulty. No joy there either.

Clicking on the links below will show you that others are experiencing the same thing.

Has the CMD, “chkdsk c: /r” been depreciated in Windows 10 version 1703?
https://superuser.com/questions/119...r-been-depreciated-in-windows-10-version-1703

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/81170-chkdsk-f-r-failure-fix-errors.html

CHKDSK /F does not work in 1703 15063.138 | Windows Secrets Lounge

As I said above, everything seems to be running fine, except for this... Anybody else having this issue? Any ideas?

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos