Step-by-step for migrating from one Windows Phone to another

chenryhen

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I just got a used Lumia 950 for a good price (I'm hanging in there with the W10M, and really I just needed a better camera to take pics of my son), and I'm a little confused about the proper way to go from one phone - old one is a Lumia 650 - to another.

I've run back up on the old phone, and I've reset the new one. I understand that I'm supposed to sign-in during the new phone's set up process, and then I can choose a backup to restore? What about all of the photos and apps that are on my old SD card? I did a quick search, but only found some 8.1 info.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I could be wrong but I think all you need to do is sign in with your MS account and everything should be the same from one phone to the next (it might take some time for everything to d/l).

Twitter: @PhotographyET

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
If you want to keep your text messages, then there's an app in Store for backing those up. I lost a bunch of them during my last phone change.

Backup your phone Onedrive, but be sure to name your phone something unique before you do that. If you give two different phones the same name, then Onedrive will only have the most recent backup under the phone of that name. I doh'd on that one recently.

On your new phone, once you've gone through all the updates and the phone is fresh, make sure to sign into your Windows account when prompted on first power up (OOBE - Out Of Box Experience). If you skip that, there's no way to get to your backup files without doing a reset of the phone. This is a major blight on Windows mobile, in my opinion. Just let me load whichever saved backup I want, and let me view the backups. For that matter, let me back up everything locally on my laptop like I could in the Nokia days...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss