Windows 10 vs MacOS

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So, is your Mom a DJ, graphic artist, hedge fund investor. There are a few responses here that get to the crux of the question. What does she need to do with this new PC? If it is Mail, Facebook, and solitaire, then that calls for a very different device than rendering video and driving the Oculus.
There is also the mention of 'new' computer. What is she used to. If you've never touched a PC before that's irrelevant, but if she spent the last 30 years in Windows, throwing MacOS at her will be frustrating, and serve no purpose.
There are more options out there than Windows or Mac. Need to understand the requirement before settling on a solution.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Aside from what applications she prefers to use, I would say whichever system she is the most familiar or comfortable using. I know you wrote she can get around most systems, but a lot of the OS battles and arguments I see also come down to what someone is used to using and most people don't like change, unfortunately.

To address some of the cons people wrote above about issues/stability, I think Windows 10 is pretty stable at this point since the anniversary update actually. I am biased towards Windows 10 because that's what I prefer using even though I would not have issues using a macOS, it would just be a matter of time before I get used to the changes.

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
No to less stable and OS upgrades at a cost. W10 has been very stable for me and upgrades have been free. I think instant on should be a pro for MAC and still baffled by Windows slow start and wake

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Do you like being tech support?

If so, get her a PC, Install Deep Freeze, and rest easy.
If not, get her a Mac and send her to the "Genius" bar at every turn.

jbrown9100

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with @midnightfrolic.

I like staying in an eco-system. I like Windows and find that things within the Windows eco-system play fairly well together; or at least when they don't I know how to figure out why. If you have "iStuff" then I suggest staying with all "iStuff". Similarly if you into Android then stay there. I believe that the value of integration is way under considered.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with @midnightfrolic.

I like staying in an eco-system. I like Windows and find that things within the Windows eco-system play fairly well together; or at least when they don't I know how to figure out why. If you have "iStuff" then I suggest staying with all "iStuff". Similarly if you into Android then stay there. I believe that the value of integration is way under considered.

I agree. While I was once all in on Windows, I have recently switched (happily) to Apple. iPhone SE, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro. All work elegantly together which is a big plus.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Get her a Windows computer. Setting up and getting around Windows 10 is reasonably easy, and it's very customizable. Oh and not to mention sheer diversity you get in the hardware department! That alone may easily make you want to forget about going with Mac OS powered device. Not that they're bad devices by any means, but Windows just offers so much more.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
It depends on what apps she needs and how much she uses it. Also depends on the price point. I've been experimenting with a Azus ZenBook Flip with a M3 Processor and 8GB of RAM. It runs everything pretty smoothly. My only gripe is no iMessage/FaceTime and the continuity of going from Safari iOS to Edge.

You might want to even consider an iPad Pro if you want to really KISS. Overall, these days there isn't much difference except integration when you do an even price-point comparison.

If you look at a i5 8GB Surface Laptop versus a i5 8GB MacBook Pro without touch bar, they are both light, run Chrome and support Facebook.

Justinian84

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Go for a Windows PC. Not only is the hardware more versatile and cheaper for a price comparable to a Mac, the OS is also easier to pick up than MacOS. There are just things that don't make much sense in my experience with MacOS, ESPECIALLY if you've used Windows in ANY capacity in the past.

cbb77

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
You really didn't mention her needs. As mentioned before, depending on the apps she needs, it may dictate one over the other. Another thing to consider is ChromeOS. The chrome books have come a long way, in particular the Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro and can be had for cheap. If all she is doing is mail and email, then it will suffice just fine along with that it provides touch screen and pen input. If that's out, go back and review her required apps.

Panzer105

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey folks - serious (for me!) question.

My mom is looking at getting a new computer. She's no computer expert, but can get her way around most systems no problem.

Question is - what would you recommend... A Windows PC or Mac? I know she's open to both - so if you have pros and cons for each it'd really help us make a decision!!

Really appreciate the feedback in advance!

I would say a long as your mom is on the current release version of Windows 10 it's every bit as stable as OSx. My Mom is not a techie either and she is happy with her Surface 3, for 99% of what she uses a computer for. If price is no big deal I would have her try similar actions on each device and the one she feels most comfortable with should be what she goes with. For my mom it was Windows 10. I stood back and let try each with NO input or hints and she was faster to do what she water on the PC Win10 than she was with OSx and a MAC. The apple people told me that was not fair because they felt she didn't understand how to run OSx I simply said if your OS is as user friendly as you say it is she should need help in figuring out how to do basic tasks. Needless to say she didn't see it being any more user friendly than Win10. By the way I did the same thing to her at the Microsoft store and she was at least able to open a web browser and the win 10 email app and the MS store.

goncaloncpinto

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
My mom wanted a laptop a few months ago, so I went with her to a computer shop to buy her one, she tried both, I didn't tell her that I would prefer her to get a Windows 10 Laptop, so, she tried Windows 10 first and when she tried the Apple, she said that Windows was easier, and cheaper, so, we went for a Windows 10 Laptop, she is very happy with it and had no issues adapting herself to it.
I had Macs before, and iPhone too, I regret every single penny I gave to Apple, they focus only in profits and the user is just a mean to get profit, Microsoft it's going from good to even better, the way they are dealing with Windows 10 is just amazing, everything users want, they are designing it to meet our requests and needs.

Last edited:

Paul Duncan1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 vs MacOS *** GO WITH A MAC ****

Hey folks - serious (for me!) question.

My mom is looking at getting a new computer. She's no computer expert, but can get her way around most systems no problem.

Question is - what would you recommend... A Windows PC or Mac? I know she's open to both - so if you have pros and cons for each it'd really help us make a decision!!

Really appreciate the feedback in advance!

My wife and I are 54, I have been using windows the early 90's (dos before that). Considering all the issues with Windows lately, after our last computer died two months ago we pulled a trigger and bought our first iMac and man are we BOTH happy we did.

It works, so far everything is plug and play. It's very responsive and so far none of the constant issues that we had with Windows.

Bottom line......... Go with a Mac.

bluefoam

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
My preferred ecosystem is Android... My phone and my tablet... The tablet is my entertainment centre and web browsing device, I also have a Nvidia Shield for media consumption and Android Auto in the car. Apple computers don't really want to work well with that scenario, so my work PC is a Surface Book. I'd like more Google apps, but the web based ones work fine.

One of the main decisions should be based on software, price and availability... My IT guys in work didn't want to have to deal with a Mac, they were concerned with software cost, compatibility and ease of maintenance.

I have to say, I'm impressed with Windows 10, it's nice and simple compared to previous versions, but the Surface Book is buggy and a week later my primary monitor is still stuck on miserably low resolution.

If your mother just wants browsing, email and word-processing while managing her photos and stuff a Mac might suit fine, once you don't want more specific software. If she needs specific apps or anything more complex then Windows might be better.

bluefoam

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Btw, what phone does she have? If it's Apple go for a Mac, if it's Android or another, go for Windows...

Apple is like a Canadian Tuxedo... You don't just wear a denim shirt... if you're going do that you also wear the jeans, denim converse etc... It's all or nothing. So if you have an Apple phone you go the whole way, get the Mac, the iTV, iPad, Apple Buds headphones etc. And you put one of those tacky white stickers on the back of your car...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My mom wanted a laptop a few months ago, so I went with her to a computer shop to buy her one, she tried both, I didn't tell her that I would prefer her to get a Windows 10 Laptop, so, she tried Windows 10 first and when she went for the Apple, she said that Windows was easier, and cheaper, so, we went for a Windows 10 Laptop, she is very happy with it and had no issues adapting herself to it.
I had Macs before, and iPhone too, I regret every single penny I gave to Apple, they focus only in profits and the user is just a mean to get profit, Microsoft it's going from good to even better, the way they are dealing with Windows 10 is just amazing, everything users want, they are designing it to meet our requests and needs.

Yes, because MS is not interested in profits and is only out to help humanity. Yes, I was purposely being sarcastic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99