How to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for license not installed on other computers

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I bought a few copies of Windows 7 Professional. They were installed on Mac via bootcamp. Those computers are no longer in use and before I abandoned them, I erased the contents of the hard drive. Currently, I also have a copy of Windows 7 installed on one computer. Have not decided whether or not to upgrade on this computer but probably not.

I read that there is still a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for existing users who are running Windows 7 on their computers. For those Windows 7 licenses that I do not use currently (because I erased the hard drives of old computers), how do I get free upgrades using those licenses?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, but can't verify as I have not tried it, if you are running Windows 7/8/8.1 and it has been properly licensed and activated, you can download the Windows 10 download tool https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=fydxllla and still upgrade to W10 for free.

Again, I have not tried it, this is just what I have read. Worst case, after upgrading it won't have a valid license and you could just wipe it and go back to 7/8/8.1.

I may try it this weekend. I have an older laptop that still has 8.1 on it. I didn't upgrade it to W10 for free because I couldn't find the power brick back when the free upgrades were officially offered. Anyhow, a couple of months ago the power brick turned up.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I did it just yesterday. I clean installed Windows 10 on an older Windows 7 laptop. When it got to the product key window during the install process, I entered the laptop's Windows 7 product key. It accepted it, and continued to install and activate Windows 10 like normal.

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. When I install Windows 7 on a new computer and enter the license number, will the software say that the license has already been used? Note that I installed it on a previous computer but when I erased it and killed the hard drive, I did not do some kind of deactivation. So, I think MS considers that the license is installed on a computer even it no longer exists.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck