Can I default to Start Menu instead of Desktop?

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I've searched for a bit and can't quite find the answer to my question.

When I start up my Win10 device I want by default to go into the Start Screen (which I have set to full screen mode). I really don't have any use for the old desktop anymore. If I want to see files and folders on the desktop then I open File Explorer.

So ... is there a way to hide the desktop and instead promote the Start Screen as my primary experience?

Thanks!
Gamely Lounges

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
You can try using Tablet Mode as your primary setup. Tablet Mode basically enables the Start Screen as the desktop, but you lose certain aspects like windowed applications and such. As far as I know, there's no "hybrid" mode with a combination of Tablet Mode's Start Screen experience combined with Desktop Mode's windowed applications and more mouse focused UI. This is one area that Windows 10 is still limited in, and Microsoft has done little so far to improve the experience (surprising considering how much they're pushing Windows tablets).

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Snap Assist on Tablet Mode does do a decent job of straddling the two modes, and Task View is very quick, but you definitely lose something just using Tablet Mode. It's up to you what you prefer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium