Which has a better camera hp elite x3 or Alcatel idol 4s windows?

Julien Simoneaux

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
I bought the hp elite x3 but I am not quite sure if it has a better camera then the Alcatel idol 4s I have been searching everywhere for this awnser and cannot seem to find it and how do these two compare camera wise to the 1520 best to the worst

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The HP Elite X3 will likely provide a better camera experience than the Alcatel. It'll be faster and will probably have better processing under the hood (since HP actually supported the Elite X3 and released firmware to improve the camera experience). The only thing the Alcatel has going for it is more megapixels and a "camera" button. As far as comparing it to the 1520, I'd say the 1520 on Windows 10 Mobile would likely still perform a little better.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As someone who's owned all three, I can safely say the x3 beats the Idol in every way imaginable. That being said, the 1520 smokes either of them any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree with @fatclue_98

Elite X3 will take down the IDOL 4s all day long, but don't be surprised if the IDOL 4s puts out a good shot every once in a while. I prefer the X3 though if I had to chose between those two. Like he said too owning all three 1520 will take either as champ. The OIS and default ISO/low light ability is hands down better on the 1520. I am no camera guru so to distinguish the difference I take it from a usability standpoint: If it is hard to get a good pic on the IDOL 4s, less of a chance of having a bad shot on the Elite X3, and getting close to 99% of my shots the first time on the 1520, then that should tell you something too. BTW I think the 950 XL is better than all three of them combined...:)

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
the idols camera is the worst performing high end device camera i have seen in a long time, my 650 takes better pictures than it.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Based on pic comparison i seen. I can say I'm glad i own a Lumia 950. Even if it's not the XL. I'm not disappointed on how pics turn out. Except looking saturated on selfies like i had a summer burn tan lol.

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
the elite x3 is the crappiest camera all around buyer beware! rear AND front camera, selfies are dark and weird, your image just looks "off" it's not what you really look like, i played with that phone for weeks trying to get used to the camera and it was a horrible experience. ill never get the elite x3 again, same for the 950 its all just bad. the iphone just points and snaps, i have shaky hands and the iphone still gets a sharp photo more times than not. i say leave w10m until MS returns with a true new mobile offering. don't waste your precious memories and times on crappy camera experiences.

Julien Simoneaux

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
I got the 1520 as a backup mostly for the camera so that should solve my problems with the camera it's bad I have to use two devices for one simple option considering the price of the elite x3..I am still on the debate since the camera issue is out the way every other feature seems similar between the idol and the x3 besides nfc which I never use and the water proof rating luckily I never get in a situation where I would need that either besides those features I'm not sure if it really justifies the price difference between the 2

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I've been using the Idol 4S since TMo dropped price 6mths ago and have to say the camera is horrible, primarily due to white balance issues. I had a Note 4 prior. If I manually play with settings I can take fairly good pics, but who has time to do that. It also locks often when I rotate to landscape, so I'm missing alot of shots. I'm now looking into a used 950XL but concerned the wifi calling won't work on TMo. I need wifi calling at my house cuz signal bad with all carriers. I guess that's life with Win 10. I may just switch to Apple since I can't stand the crapware on Androids and Google in general.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I was forced into an Elite x3 when the screen on my 950XL would only display a greenish-yellow hue. I can say that I'm not too pleased with the optics performance. Build quality is second to none but after that, there's really not much to enjoy. Images are only 10MP so you can't zoom too much into images, they're not as sharp, and low light images has too much noise. Furthermore,
  • Auto-focus is slow
  • No dedicated camera button (this was a real pain when I was trying to get shots of the solar eclipse)
  • No living images
  • I can never get HDR to work, so I don't know if can adjust light exposure after image has been taken
  • Tap and hold causes the camera app to error (https://aka.ms/q98zr7 <=== please upvote)

From the reviews I've seen, I would avoid the Idol S. The biggest issue with the Elite x3 is that it's enterprise device; therefore the consumer focus isn't there. If you having a working 1520, keep it because you'll be better off. At this point, I've considered buy a 950 off ebay but will hold off to "see" what happens. If you looking to replace a non-functioning device then I would go with Elite x3 if you intend to remain in this forsaken ecosystem.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I was hesitant to buy a phone from a lower tier manufacturer because I feared a lack of support. Those fears were justified. The phone itself performs well, but the camera is a huge disappointment. You can occasionally get some really decent shots so it's obvious that the sensor is capable, but most of the time the pics are mediocre or worse. And Alcatel has done nothing, and will do nothing, to try to improve it. They had an opportunity to make a real statement with this phone because it has a lot going for it. But they have chosen instead to just plod along as a low end manufacturer. That said, even thought the Elite gets better marks, I wouldn't buy it either if the camera is important to you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was hesitant to buy a phone from a lower tier manufacturer because I feared a lack of support. Those fears were justified. The phone itself performs well, but the camera is a huge disappointment. You can occasionally get some really decent shots so it's obvious that the sensor is capable, but most of the time the pics are mediocre or worse. And Alcatel has done nothing, and will do nothing, to try to improve it. They had an opportunity to make a real statement with this phone because it has a lot going for it. But they have chosen instead to just plod along as a low end manufacturer. That said, even thought the Elite gets better marks, I wouldn't buy it either if the camera is important to you.
The funny part is that the DTEK60 is essentially the same phone but takes noticeably better pictures. Lack of OIS is just as bad as the Idol though.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The funny part is that the DTEK60 is essentially the same phone but takes noticeably better pictures. Lack of OIS is just as bad as the Idol though.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

That's weird. Do you think Blackberry applied pressure to them to provide a better firmware? I just think it's said that Alcatel designed such a nice phone and have decided to do nothing to improve it. I will give HP credit. They are continuously making improvements to the Elite. That's what a wise (and usually successful) company does. It looks like I'm going to have to give in and get an Android phone to get a decent camera. Sigh...

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That's weird. Do you think Blackberry applied pressure to them to provide a better firmware?

I think the simple truth is that the DTEC out performed the IDOL in sales. High sales leads to a higher motivation to support your product. That should be food for thoughts, a Blackberry branded Android out sells a Win10m. What ecosystem feels like it is most alive?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre