Windows Phone Is Dead Beyond Resurrection

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not dead until the support lifecycle ends. This could be as long as 2019:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...=PN&alpha=Windows 10 Mobile&Filter=FilterNO#;

Microsoft will continue to provide security updates until these dates.

I wouldn't expect new features... so it is dead in the way Windows 7 is dead. Still usable and serviced, just no longer being significantly advanced.
I would say dead is when the core functions the device came with no longer work, at all. Windows XP has been EOL for how long now? It still works though. As for smartphones, I would put PalmOS and Windows Mobile 6.5 (consumer versions) on the list of dead since neither can fetch any email and their browsers are all but useless. For as dead as webOS is mentioned, Exchange works perfectly and even Skype still works on my Touchpad.

When people say an OS is missing this feature or that feature and proclaim it dead, then the question becomes "did it ever have it in the first place?" You mentioned Windows 7. It doesn't have Cortana so should we dump a shovel full of dirt on it?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I would say dead is when the core functions the device came with no longer work, at all. Windows XP has been EOL for how long now? It still works though. As for smartphones, I would put PalmOS and Windows Mobile 6.5 (consumer versions) on the list of dead since neither can fetch any email and their browsers are all but useless. For as dead as webOS is mentioned, Exchange works perfectly and even Skype still works on my Touchpad.

When people say an OS is missing this feature or that feature and proclaim it dead, then the question becomes "did it ever have it in the first place?" You mentioned Windows 7. It doesn't have Cortana so should we dump a shovel full of dirt on it?

That's how people look at things like this differently. It certainly is not dead as in it doesn't work, maybe really sick is a better description (and with the right medicine can live with its chronic disease for many more years). For some that's perfectly acceptable, for some it's not.

It would be like owning a car that still runs but is not being produced any more and it's getting hard to find parts for. For people mechanically inclined, and who like to work on cars, they may be able to keep the car running for another 10 years or so. Most people don't want that hassle though when there are newer cars still being built. Personal preference and neither is right or wrong.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It would be like owning a car that still runs but is not being produced any more and it's getting hard to find parts for. For people mechanically inclined, and who like to work on cars, they may be able to keep the car running for another 10 years or so.
My fellow Cubans on the island didn't get that memo. There is a treasure trove of pre-revolution (1959) cars and Harleys still on the road. Granted, most of them have pistons from Russian farm equipment, Skoda clutches and pressure plates, rear ends from a Moskvitch.......

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My fellow Cubans on the island didn't get that memo. There is a treasure trove of pre-revolution (1959) cars and Harleys still on the road. Granted, most of them have pistons from Russian farm equipment, Skoda clutches and pressure plates, rear ends from a Moskvitch.......

Thank you for making my point. Unless Cuba is going to buy up all the Windows phones....resourceful people!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for making my point. Unless Cuba is going to buy up all the Windows phones....resourceful people!
THIS is resourceful.

Cubans found at sea on pickup truck converted to motor raft - Cuba Culture News - Havana Journal

Oh by the way, after they were returned, he built a 40-something Buick in the same fashion and made it to the US about a year later. Welded metal "blades" to the driveshaft to make a propeller.

It must be something in the water. When I was a teenager I stuffed a Buick V-6 Turbo from a Regal into a Vega. Right after that I massaged a Mustang 5.0 into a Pinto. Needless to say, neither was driveable in the rain. I couldn't get them to hook up.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The number of people using it has everything to do with its survival.
We have data to predict cancer survival. I just didn't see where the two were related.

The cancer comparison was used to show all the "experts" claimed this patient wasn't going to make it and he did. These "WP is dead threads" started a good 5 years ago and WP (even though not nearly as much) is still around. And another 2 years from now there will be more "WP is dead" threads started (although those might be accurate lol).

PS: I don't know much about Cuban music but their black beans and rice (normally with chicken) is top shelf stuff. There is a Cuban restaurant in Miami my wife and I always stop at when visiting family down there. I'm a beer nut but can't remember if I ever had any Cuban beer. Would like to try.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It's not dead until the support lifecycle ends. This could be as long as 2019:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...=PN&alpha=Windows 10 Mobile&Filter=FilterNO#;

Microsoft will continue to provide security updates until these dates.

I wouldn't expect new features... so it is dead in the way Windows 7 is dead. Still usable and serviced, just no longer being significantly advanced.

Good point. Still burns when usability is affected. But maybe my useability is not the same as everyone elses...Google needs to get with it and provide services like Microsoft is to their platform...

But hey, it will be as secure as a digital Fort Knox, so to speak.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

BTW Palm is making a comeback in 2018 via TCL...

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
In other words, Microsoft should pack it in and tell Google that they are now the new OS for home users and Microsoft just bow out of the tech business.

I've been wondering this for about a year. While I find Windows 10 the best version since Win2k (lets forget about the Horrid XP), most people prefer Windows 7 or are moving to OSX or even Chrome books. If users can run Android apps, even office and email on chrome, there may not be an interest in desktop Windows. if that happens, Windows in the server room gets eventually replaced by Linux.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been wondering this for about a year. While I find Windows 10 the best version since Win2k (lets forget about the Horrid XP), most people prefer Windows 7 or are moving to OSX or even Chrome books. If users can run Android apps, even office and email on chrome, there may not be an interest in desktop Windows. if that happens, Windows in the server room gets eventually replaced by Linux.

Ha, funny you mention servers. The ratio of UNIX/UNIX-like servers to WINTEL in our environment is like 5 to 1 or higher. Yet Microsoft offers something unique and nobody beats Exchange hands down. But there something more "powerhousy" about the nix-like operating systems. Take clustering for example...Wintel can do it just like unix systems, but it is not as robust as a unix system. You can not tweak something down to the kernel level on Windows to make it more efficient or work the way you need to. You are at the mercy of the author releasing or custom patching it with their own formula of software. So for simplicity sake we have W10, Android, and OSX's. To me the simplest to use is all of them. It is just if you go in to one you are better off going all in or not. Android/Chromebooks/Google services can manage your company/student/enterprise (maybe far fetched on the enterprise part) needs but you need to integrate it all. Microsoft is been doing this for years though, where the other two have not.

What is also interesting is Microsoft SQL has a version that will run on Linux. So the move to cross pollenate platforms seems maybe is should be the new trend...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
THIS is resourceful.

Cubans found at sea on pickup truck converted to motor raft - Cuba Culture News - Havana Journal

Oh by the way, after they were returned, he built a 40-something Buick in the same fashion and made it to the US about a year later. Welded metal "blades" to the driveshaft to make a propeller.

It must be something in the water. When I was a teenager I stuffed a Buick V-6 Turbo from a Regal into a Vega. Right after that I massaged a Mustang 5.0 into a Pinto. Needless to say, neither was driveable in the rain. I couldn't get them to hook up.

Wow! I think anyone who is that innovative and goes through that much for freedom should get automatic citizenship. Maybe a job with Ford also.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The cancer comparison was used to show all the "experts" claimed this patient wasn't going to make it and he did. These "WP is dead threads" started a good 5 years ago and WP (even though not nearly as much) is still around. And another 2 years from now there will be more "WP is dead" threads started (although those might be accurate lol).

PS: I don't know much about Cuban music but their black beans and rice (normally with chicken) is top shelf stuff. There is a Cuban restaurant in Miami my wife and I always stop at when visiting family down there. I'm a beer nut but can't remember if I ever had any Cuban beer. Would like to try.

I hear ya. There are always those, human and otherwise, who beat the odds. I was hoping for a long time WP would be one of them. I guess I've lost that hope.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it the Palm trademark? Nothing to do with the original Palm and/or its company. If you think about it, Palm is perfect name for a cellphone.

I think so. So much like Nokia selling the rights to TCL to build a device trade marked under the Nokia name, I would think the same will go for the Palm devices. Anyone else have a thought?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6