Fall Creators Update coming Oct. 17 — what are you most excited about?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
It's officially official: Microsoft today announced its target release date for the Fall Creators Update.

Come October 17, some of us will get the first official release of the latest major Windows 10 update. From what we know so far, it's not the most exciting update Microsoft has ever released, but it does pack a number of key enhancements and feature additions. Are you excited about the release? It's still more than a month away, but what are you most looking forward to?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Although I am looking forwards to seeing the new design, I doubt it will be as all encompassing as it should be, MS have a bad habit of releasing app and then letting them rot, for example SmartGlass, it already looks so dated as it really was a Windows 8 app, I doubt any one at MS bothers to look at these apps and keep them updated.

OneDrive being sorted is a plus and I suppose I was mildly looking forwards to the people in the taskbar idea a for the last update, but I had almost forgotten about it and a limit of three people is a bit much.

Otherwise a distinct lack of excitement here.

I hope eventually MS will give in and let us use "Messaging" to receive and send messages instead of making a mess of Skype (Or is that Skype making a mess of messaging) and then I will be exited again.

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
​100%, it's the OneDrive shadow copies!! I own a financial services firm and issue agents tablets with an enterprise o365 account and they have to use the clunky OneDrive app to move files around due to the amount of storage on their tablets. Now they will be able to use file explorer and work directly with their desktops instead of all the workarounds. All of these devices with 64gb or less storage have been so disabled since shadow copies went away. Personally, this is huge for us!

Last edited:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Overall? More Fluent Design Stuff.
PC: Emoji picker, yes, really.
Surface: Faster, more reliable Edge 16 and the Windows Phone 8.1 swipe keyboard. It only took them 3.5 years.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
like it or not nothing.... just like there is nothing exciting about android oreo :eck:
ios 11 is the most exciting update between the three OS's

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not excited about any one thing, but I think Edge has improved quite a bit and it's improvements have been overlooked in articles about Fall Creators. It's faster, has much better PDF reading experience, and I love the ability to put tabs away for later and the additional control over Flash.

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Mixed reality for me. Easy to use VR with good graphics. Fluent design will be nice too. The whole not sexy enough update thing is getting really pathetic though. Let it go I say. It is what it is and it's free

black ramm

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Not excited at all. Fluent design I guess if I am forced to choose something. Seems MS is really pulling back their much needed innovative approach

tofab123

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Except for the OneDrive, Nothing really. I have a big hope, that cshell will make Microsoft start to work on the tablet interface again. I hope they will use that to create something as amazing as they had in Windows 8.1 where they absolutely nailed what a tablet interface should be.

But they never talk about using Windows 10 as a tablet; we never hear anything on that subject; which make no sense given that almost all windows PCs now are 2-1 one devices and that the tablet interface really should be a first class citizens. Why on earth haven't the released a UI for edge like the old metro IE. They get everyone to buy a computer with a touch screen and then then refuse? / neglect to do anything with that capability.

Idiots Microsoft are for sure not, but they do acts like ones if you look at Windows 10 as a tablet.

gcoupe

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The killer feature for me is OneDrive files on demand
Except that the new OneDrive Files on Demand feature is a significant step back from the original Placeholders functionality. There is no metadata stored in the new Placeholders(unlike the old system). So you can't search your OneDrive files using File Explorer - you have to go online to OneDrive to do it now...

gcoupe

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing in the Fall Creators Update that excites me - even Microsoft can't be bothered to include the apostrophe in the name. And the less said about that appalling keynote at the IFA, the better.

gcoupe

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
​100%, it's the OneDrive shadow copies!! I own a financial services firm and issue agents tablets with an enterprise o365 account and they have to use the clunky OneDrive app to move files around due to the amount of storage on their tablets. Now they will be able to use file explorer and work directly with their desktops instead of all the workarounds. All of these devices with 64gb or less storage have been so disabled since shadow copies went away. Personally, this is huge for us!

Unlike with the original Placeholders system, you won't be able to use File Explorer to search metadata in the OneDrive files - your agents will need to go online to OneDrive to do this...

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
gCoupe: Good point, but if you need to search, you could also use the app vs on line. Still a pain, but better than opening a browser imho. Also, it's just what I like about it and it's definitely a good step in the right direction! Still a good point, though. App or browser for searching.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss