Fall Creators Update coming Oct. 17 — what are you most excited about?

Remy_S

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Win10 on ARM, although it technically isn't part of the FCU. More a separate SKU.
Oh yeah, isn't cshell supposed to be part of the update? Looking forward to see how far that has gotten along.

gcoupe

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, really - File Explorer does not delegate the search to the online OneDrive search engine, it uses only the local Windows Search engine and indices on the PC.

tofab123

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Yes, really - File Explorer does not delegate the search to the online OneDrive search engine, it uses only the local Windows Search engine and indices on the PC.

This really pisses me off .... It is every thing Microsoft does ... it is only half done. If this had been Apple you would have been able to search ... It makes no sense not to be able to search your files from with in (file) explorer. How hard can it be to implement that. Seriously Microsoft. 4 years you have been working on this feature. Get in to the fight! FFS

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Add to the Edge wish list 1) Right click save page as (yes I know can print to pdf, share etc.); 2) Search history and favorites inside the app; 3) delete saved logins from form entry drop-down lists as was in IE.

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site

Does not seem like a major issue to me. Files I did not download still show up in search when I search for the filename, which is what I usually do ^^

gcoupe

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Does not seem like a major issue to me. Files I did not download still show up in search when I search for the filename, which is what I usually do ^^
Yes, filenames show up because that's what the placeholder files use. However, no other metadata is used. I use descriptive tags in my photos - with the original Placeholder system, I could search my photos using File Explorer. With this system, I can't. It's a major issue to me.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's officially official: Microsoft today announced its target release date for the Fall Creators Update.

Come October 17, some of us will get the first official release of the latest major Windows 10 update. From what we know so far, it's not the most exciting update Microsoft has ever released, but it does pack a number of key enhancements and feature additions. Are you excited about the release? It's still more than a month away, but what are you most looking forward to?

I am excited. Fall creators update feels like many features and the OS is more fit and finished and perhaps finally worth leaving the insiders for and get on with my life.

However, the moment I'm really waiting for is amore fit and finished tablet experience. Incremental improvements have been steadily continuing. The most exciting of which is the cshell potential. Despite a large library of insiders feedback on this matter, things seem to have slowed down in favor of more desktop oriented backlog lists and introducing a few more new features, further increasing the backlog.
I think the tablet experience is just as important as the desktop experience. But there are are many unfinished existing problems in the tablet experience that have not been adressed since Windows 10s start. If those have been addressed I would be a happy user.

For the average usecase I and many of my network still run into many basic problems such as updatability on older purchased hardware and driver issues. I'm hoping fall update will finally solve them. It's putting many people off to upgrade because the hastle is too much and staying on an older build or reverting to Windows 7 seems better, because things just work, despite the drawback of an "older" OS and missing outbon new and improved features. They are continuing with the "old" and saving up for new hardware a few years down the line. Wouldn't be surprised about flattening hardware sales. Most new devices are all lovely and fine but its the software fit and finish and updatability that's the problem.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Edge improvements. it's my fav browser even thought it still needs a lot more work under the hood.
Fluent Design - Love it. I just hope they don't do a half azzed job on it like MS loves to do so often.

h4mm3r tyme

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
1. OneDrive Files on Demand
2. C Shell
3. My People

I think it was a mistake for MS to name this year's updates Creator Updates. There is not enough there to warrant it. They should just have generic names for the updates like Spring and Autumn. They should only deviate when there is a monumental change that they deliver on. This Fall Update has nothing that is geared for Creators.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping the features from the Spring creator's update actually start working. Like "pick up where you left off" That would be nice.

Steve78UK

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
This is the second major update to Windows 10 in a row that isn't worth getting excited about.

I can't think of a single new feature that I would call 'exciting'. There are a few interesting things which should have been there on day 1, but that's as far as my positivity goes. Microsoft really needs to step up the progress instead of taking years to achieve and deliver very little.

AhmadMuhammad

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I am most excited about the Fluent design system, but more about the Linux distros hitting the store. My development work requires Linux as it is easier, and I think that the subsystem will improve my workflow and allow me to be more efficient.

DragoCubed

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
The emoji picker. The new touch keyboard is cool too. I'm very disappointed in this update and I think its one of the worst updates and there are plenty of changes and additions I don't like such as the phone category which is freaking useless and could be better placed in the devices or Cortana category. OneDrive file on demand is cool I suppose but I don't use OneDrive. The Edge improvements are nice but I don't use it much honestly as it is slow, unreliable, lacks many basic features, has many bugs, lacks extensions doesn't have themes (other than dark and light), doesn't handle the things it should do very well and lacks customisation. There are so many things they could be working on but aren't. W10 on a tablet really has to improve. The UI needs to be more consistent and is actually now more inconsistent with the addition of translucency+blur and the "reveal" effect. UWP apps are unstable and slower than win32 apps (in my experience I should add). I could go on and on about what could be improved.

It slightly reminds me of Android O but Android is very mature and is excellent. The restrictions for overlays in Android O are bad and the persistent notification for background apps is annoying. Being unable to control the priority of notifications of an app that doesn't have notification channels is unwelcome. Moving the theme engine from RRO to OMS is very nice. Like I said Android is already polished and those problems aren't on the scale of the problems Windows 10 has.

Sardoc Spamfish

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Since I'm a mobile user, my answer is a big, fat nothing. Absolutely nothing that FCU has to offer is exciting. The biggest "improvement" we got was a name change Phone Update --> Windows Update, and the copyright date from 2016 to 2017.

That's it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro