Lumia 950, Alcatel 4s and HP Elite X3, how's the Creators Update treating you?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
We saw many reviews when the Lumia 950, the Elite X3 and the Alcatel 4s came out all claiming great software and poor and buggy software. Well it's been a while now. How are those devices treating you? Still buggy and laggy or has the creators update made them better?

joshcaleb27

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had my Alcatel Idol 4s since it came out in November. Overall the performance has been great since the beginning. I have seen the most improvements on Continuum. When I first got the phone I couldn't use the video on MLSSOCCER.com That was a big deal for me because I wanted to watch live games with it. I'm not sure when the switch happened but it works great now. After the creators update, watching videos on the phone itself has become quite annoying. It blacks out at the beginning of videos and also when I switch it from portrait mode to landscape mode. That's my biggest gripe right now. The phone itself has been a pleasure to use. I never have problems with lag or freezing. It's an extremely powerful phone. I'm still grateful that I made the switch from Android to Windows. I won't go into it here, but the windows platform and live tiles have increased my efficiency and effectiveness as an Insurance agent 10 fold. Overall I Love my Alcatel Idol 4s.

Originally posted by dlalonde
We saw many reviews when the Lumia 950, the Elite X3 and the Alcatel 4s came out all claiming great software and poor and buggy software. Well it's been a while now. How are those devices treating you? Still buggy and laggy or has the creators update made them better?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Alcatel Idol 4s since it came out in November. Overall the performance has been great since the beginning. I have seen the most improvements on Continuum. When I first got the phone I couldn't use the video on MLSSOCCER.com That was a big deal for me because I wanted to watch live games with it. I'm not sure when the switch happened but it works great now. After the creators update, watching videos on the phone itself has become quite annoying. It blacks out at the beginning of videos and also when I switch it from portrait mode to landscape mode. That's my biggest gripe right now. The phone itself has been a pleasure to use. I never have problems with lag or freezing. It's an extremely powerful phone. I'm still grateful that I made the switch from Android to Windows. I won't go into it here, but the windows platform and live tiles have increased my efficiency and effectiveness as an Insurance agent 10 fold. Overall I Love my Alcatel Idol 4s.
I've had the same portrait to landscape issues on my x3. It's particularly annoying when running Remote Desktop on Continuum and my phone freezes most times when I disconnect from a wired Continuum session. I fixed it by going back to factory firmware.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
My 950 works good with fast insider builds, however I do have some issues with Lockscreen - if I am playing music and want to log in using Windows Hello for some reason Windows Hello doesn't wait a few seconds to dismiss music controls but just goes ahead and puts it's UI right over the controls.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
My 950 XL is fine on CU, running 15063.540. Only issue I can think of atm is that I cant sign in to windowscentral app, but that app has never worked so I guess you cant blame CU. Did a factory reset after CU. On production build music controls are displayed a few seconds before before Windows Hello.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I still have the 640 and am thinking of getting a better W10m device as a secondary device. The 640 only has 1 GB of RAM which is a no go for things like Facebook and Messenger. W10m as such is not the smoothest thing (galaxies away from 8.1). If it was a change for another buggy but more expensive phone, it wouldn't really be worth it.

But you guys are pretty reassuring.

Now I'm pondering putting the insider builds on it (I'm using the latest stable version).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My HP Elite x3 is on the fast ring. It's stable and smooth. The only issue I've encountered with the current build is that it kills the fingerprint reader when the display is off... Which really does suck. I hope they fix that soon.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
My 950 has never lived up to its capabilities w/CU changing little. Yes it works but we definitely can feel the lack of fluidness and inconsistency upon each use. Some things like opening say, WC app or viewing pages in a browser can have a delay fully loading content that it becomes very distracting and annoying more often than not. Iris scanner can be hit-n-miss with sometimes entering physical PW being a more viable, and faster, solution Compared against my 830/650 you'd expect the difference to be night and day yet that has been far from my experience, these are running CU as well.

Don't expect much to change in the long term so honestly believe what we have now is about as good as it's going to get. Now if MS could only fix that goldarn store - that's a piece I'd be proud to say was my doing NOT!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
My Lumia 650 works about same on fast ring 545 as it did when new. Windows central app flat out sucks! Unless I soft reset and open nothing else, it can take many tries to get it to launch. Most days I just give up trying.

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I love my Lumia 950.. I love the live tiles , Its fast since Creator ,Insider Updates...
If it had Apps for my Home Automation, I would be using it as daily driver... very Sad that Microsoft let it go..Its the Best Smartphone I have ever Had!
Thanks Dave

cmolinap

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have a similar problem with my Lumia 950: If I'm listening music in Groove and I get a message in WhatsApp, containing a GIF, when I check the message Groove is interrupted.

Even though I received the Mail and Calendar updates, it doesn't allow me to have the Priority/Others options. In Mail's Configuration say: Your configuration (?) does not allow...

Rse1

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Edge freezes entire phone or won't load pages from time to time since creators update also sometimes the phone gets hot and slow out of the blue as if its struggling with some background task lumia 950. Aside from that im on my 3rd battery in 1.5 years but thats a hardware flaw. Ow and w10m still doesnt remember email addresses in auto correction which is stupid

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
As of late my 950 has been laggy and more importantly, crashing and rebooting after taking 2 or 3 pictures. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone 2-3 times a day because it can't pickup AT&T's network even if I have several bars lit up. I already got a SIM swap just in case the SIM was faulty but same issue.

chriswong13

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 XL on Release Preview and it sucks. The last 10.0.15063.540 release crashes and reboots all of the time. Absolutely will not try Slow or Fast ring on my main phone. Can't wait for the next RP release. I might switch to an Android, maybe the Nokia 8...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why do people persist in putting their primary devices on Insider builds then complain to no end that it's buggy? For all the talk of Microsoft not being good at marketing they've pulled off the greatest magic trick of all time. They've succeeded at hiring tens of thousands of developmental engineers for free.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

NiteCourt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I purchased an alcatel idol 4s from amazon a few months back. I've only had the update on it so I can't compare. One thing I did try over the weekend is to cast a movie I purchased over the weekend from the MS store to my Roku tv. The video worked but the audio would cut out every 3 seconds. I don't have this issue with my galaxy s7.

Last edited:

ZSkeledzic

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 950 dual SIM is working great with latest insider fast update. Fast, no crashes, occasional glitches in edge but nothing serious. I hope MS will continue supporting this OS and finally issue,real flagship phone. HP, Alcatel and others are doing fine job but that is just not it.

Steven Ealy

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Creators Update breaks a very important function for me and that is the ability to receive traffic info from the Maps apps. When updating to CU the Maps app now just shows the estimated time it would take with no traffic and simply states at bottom "Traffic Info isn't available". I have reflashed back to AU and then to CU multiple times and it always fails. For now I have reg hacked the phone to stay on AU so my Maps works more reliably.

Since CU is nothing but bug fixes, I am not missing out on much.

Ilya Misyuchenko

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 950XL, Release

After CU, the People app has lost birthdays and groups. Birthdays, Microsoft tries to fix it, some are coming back, but not all. The groups that were created on the smartphone were completely missing. In PC and web versions, the traces of the groups can still be found, but the phone is empty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb