Continuum vs. Dex

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried samsung's DEX yesterday on galaxy S8.
First impression: this is how continuum should feel like. It is fast, snappy and working. I was toying with it for 15 minutes and it felt like a natural desktop experience, even if it is running on android. I tried some keyboard shortcuts and they worked (ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl+esc). I could resize windows and multitasking runs much smoother in comparison to continuum. I didn't remember to try the printing options, so I have no idea if it works or not.

But overall, sadly, it is a much better experience than windows 10 continuum. If you have a chance, go to a local samsung store and try it out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The inability to take calls or texts while docked is a deal breaker. Without that, you may as well just have a laptop.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have used both a little bit, so I don't know all of the ins and outs. But what I've found is that on DeX there are more apps to use, and Android is more fully featured than W10M. Otherwise they're ligistically similar.

You can also call and text while using DeX, but that functionality isn't as robust as Continuum's. You can't use your phone's screen at all while using DeX, so calls must be received on the screen. But you can click Answer, and talk using speakerphone. I don't use a bluetooth headset so I haven't tried it, but that might work as well. Texting must be done on the screen via the app, or if your texting service is online, you could use that as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have used both a little bit, so I don't know all of the ins and outs. But what I've found is that on DeX there are more apps to use, and Android is more fully featured than W10M. Otherwise they're ligistically similar.

You can also call and text while using DeX, but that functionality isn't as robust as Continuum's. You can't use your phone's screen at all while using DeX, so calls must be received on the screen. But you can click Answer, and talk using speakerphone. I don't use a bluetooth headset so I haven't tried it, but that might work as well. Texting must be done on the screen via the app, or if your texting service is online, you could use that as well.
There are much fewer apps for DeX than Continuum. Take away the Microsoft apps and there are only a handful. The main reason I bought an S8+ was for DeX and needless to say, I returned it rather quickly.

Sent from my ZTE Piece of S**t Android on the Windows Central Forums app

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There are much fewer apps for DeX than Continuum. Take away the Microsoft apps and there are only a handful. The main reason I bought an S8+ was for DeX and needless to say, I returned it rather quickly.

Sent from my ZTE Piece of S**t Android on the Windows Central Forums app

Are you talking about apps that are designed for DeX? Because most apps will work, but don't have much option for resizing. But yes, there aren't too many designed for DeX, that is true.

Was your DeX dock or S8+ faulty or something? I'm not sure why you couldn't call or text, or why hardly any apps work.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about apps that are designed for DeX? Because most apps will work, but don't have much option for resizing. But yes, there aren't too many designed for DeX, that is true.

Was your DeX dock or S8+ faulty or something? I'm not sure why you couldn't call or text, or why hardly any apps work.
Apps not optimized for DeX simply run as mirrored which isn't the greatest experience, much like Sentio (Andromium). That's the main difference between Android desktop apps and Continuum. Non-UWP apps just don't run on the extended display, mirrored or otherwise. You can run mirrored on any Windows phone that supports it but it's not very good.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apps not optimized for DeX simply run as mirrored which isn't the greatest experience, much like Sentio (Andromium). That's the main difference between Android desktop apps and Continuum. Non-UWP apps just don't run on the extended display, mirrored or otherwise. You can run mirrored on any Windows phone that supports it but it's not very good.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't say useless, but it's definitely one of the features that can come in quite handy. You can already project your screen to a TV, and watch movies there, or YouTube videos. But with Dex or Continuum it should feel much more natural because of the adoptable interface. What is more, with Continuum you can project your screen on a laptop, and use its touchpad or mouse, and keyboard. So... you want to type some longer Viber message? Sure, you don't have to download the desktop app, just connect it to that laptop, and use your phone like that.

I admit, it's not something one would use daily, but it makes the using of the phone much more useful. There are many other features that you don't use daily, but which are still very important to have.

Sent from mTalk on Windows phone

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
they probably realized much earlier than Ms that this is a useless feature with no future.
I will never say a bad thing about Continuum again. I was cut off from civilization for 3 days now because of Hurricane Irma and borrowing an AT&T SIM card (T-Mobile sucks but that's another argument) I was able to plug in to an inverter in my truck and get news and info as well as my wife continue her studies on the big screen. Granted, this is an isolated usage scenario but I'm glad it exists. With the tiny power requirements of an HD monitor, even the smallest of power inverters was able to run a "full desktop" during a natural disaster.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
^ Exactly my thought. Maybe it's not useful fit daily usage, but it can come in handy, whether in situations like that, on vacation, etc...

I wish everything goes well at your place (with Irma). (Sorry, I'm not native English speaker, you've got what I mean.)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
What is more, with Continuum you can project your screen on a laptop, and use its touchpad or mouse, and keyboard.

This was one great feature I like and used on my Acer lappy, but sadly no longer works on any old laptop. Can't recall which insider built killed it.

I tried, for a while, using a usb-otg/hub combo to connect a mouse and keyboard to the one phone. It works well, be it projected to the laptop screen or to a 2nd monitor...
Later, I finally got hold of a MSFT display hub, and the experience was much better...

... !

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
This was one great feature I like and used on my Acer lappy, but sadly no longer works on any old laptop. Can't recall which insider built killed it.
That's too bad... Maybe that was just some mistake which needs to be fixed, maybe they didn't intend to kill it. Being able to project over WiFi and to the job makes it a lot easier, than when you have to dig out some cables...

Are you on insider with your Lumia, our with your PC? Does this (continuum over Wi-Fi with use of mouse and touchpad) work to you now? On newer or older laptop?

I remember how at some builds on CU we were able to project screen on a laptop even with the phone's display off, and without Continuum. (I have a Lumia 730.) But they obviously made this possible by mistake as one out few builds later we were not able to do it anymore. And yes, it was buggy... But too bad that they did it. I'm fine with cheaper phones not having continuum, buy with changing of the scaling in the settings one could get a "poor mans Continuum" like somebody called it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I hardly see any posts about using protect to non-Surface laptop in WC forum. I'm uncertain if anyone has the similar issues.
(Both my phone & Acer is on Insider, btw)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I hardly see any posts about using protect to non-Surface laptop in WC forum. I'm uncertain if anyone has the similar issues.
(Both my phone & Acer is on Insider, btw)

Replied on Edge on 950XL

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I decided to give Sentio (Andromium) another spin since it's been a while. Yep, it's still a POS. Every time I try to use the browser I get a "Sentio App Packs has crashed" message. That is just soooo Android.

Continuum and DeX are it folks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077