Why is my Laptop not working properly ?

Sharonj15Jones

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
I am using Windows10 on Lenovo Ideapad 110. It is only 4 months old, When I switch it on it works alright for the first few hours, after that it starts lagging and after a while, it just freezes from few minutes to half an hour. I think the problem is related to my Operating System.
Anyone have any suggestions how can I improve my laptop performance, Kindly reply with any suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am using Windows10 on Lenovo Ideapad 110. It is only 4 months old, When I switch it on it works alright for the first few hours, after that it starts lagging and after a while, it just freezes from few minutes to half an hour. I think the problem is related to my Operating System.
Anyone have any suggestions how can I improve my laptop performance, Kindly reply with any suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

1. Do you have any anti virus software installed? never the less download malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com and run a full system scan. Also run a rootkit scan - https://labs.bitdefender.com/2013/02/rootkit-remover-download-page/
  2. Is there any whining noise or clicking noise from the laptop - as that would indicate a hard drive failure.
  3. Which version of Windows are you using? - you can find out by going pressing the windows logo key on the keyboard and pressing R at the same time to open up "Run". Then type in WinVer and then press enter. This will tell you which version of Windows you are running.

If there is no whining noise and all virus scan come back as clean then download a defrag programme suchas auslogics defrag. https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/ .

As the common causes for slow and sluggish behaviour is a heavily fragmented hard disk drive (HDD - for oversimplication - SATA), however if you have a solid state drive (SSD) do not run a defrag programme, you have a faulty ssd and it needs to be replaced. As it is 4 months old I would suggest taking it back to the retailer and getting them to fix it should you have an SSD. Ideally on any faulty ssd or hdd you shouldn't be installing anything or saving any files on it.

To find out what you have, download speccy - you only need the free version (and in the summary section you will see either SSD or Sata (Pata, EIDE, IDE etc are for older models / hard drives). https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...riform.com%2Fspeccy%2Fdownload&token=htWqWuRU

Last edited:

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I had issues with high disk activity due to the torrent like updates. If you go to updates and only enable them to be shared on your network it may help.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I had issues with high disk activity due to the torrent like updates. If you go to updates and only enable them to be shared on your network it may help.

Good point and also I would turn that off aswell.
@Sharonj15Jones.

• To do so go to the settings app via the start menu
  • Update and Security
  • Advanced options
  • Then choose how updates are delivered
  • Then select off (as an additional precaution you could select PC's on my local network then off)
  • Then close the settings app and you may need to restart the laptop for changes to take affect.

Jennifer Grey

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
I had something similar to this a few years ago. My sister completely buggered her old laptop - think uninstalled every driver despite not knowing what control panel is - and there was no mouse cursor. The fix, plugging in my mouse from my desktop, cursor came back, trackpad started working again. Weird things, peripherals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077