Microsoft To-Do is fantastic

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded this to my Surface and phone at the weekend, was thinking to myself, "Well I use OneNote do I really need it".

I have a lot going on at the moment, and one of the things is shipping my lad up to our house to clear out rubbish in preparation of it being sold, so I thought OK lets do a To Do list.

You are right, great little app that now has pride of place next to OneNote and Office Lens on my Start menu's.

I like the way you can have completed items as crossed through or just have them hidden.

Will be installed on my wife's Surface and phone and probably my lads PC, Surface and phone today.

Edit: I have it installed on my 950XL but just noticed its available on Android so installed on my work supplied Samsung as well.

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I've been using it for a while. It has lots of potential, but it's not there yet... the basic (UWP) makes it a focused app for the future, once it matures with more features. Right now I only use it as a 'basic' to do list, but I do immediately check out what changes are introduced after 'every' update. Late last week I downloaded Trello on my computers and 950XL (nice app), I hope that MS's ToDo will incorparate some Trello's note taking capabilities for a note entry... I would like to have a Microsoft backed software, rather than a 3rd party app (the Trello app, on the 950XL, is 3rd party and says "User is responible for any...."), this concerns me.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't tried it yet, check out the to-do list maker/tracker "Microsoft To-Do."

It's a UWP that and has a pretty much seamless interaction between PC and Mobile. It also looks beautiful. It could definitely use some more features and Cortana integration. But I find it very useful!

Check it out!

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...microsoft-to-do%2F9nblggh5r558&token=UFq8oUxH

It's pretty good but without list sharing and syncing like in Wunderlist I can't use it. I hope it soon gets these features, otherwise it's just a little less useful than a OneNote list.

spaceOpia1

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I mostly use Wunderlist, which fits my needs perfectly....and is owned by Microsoft also.......
I don't quite understand their need to make an alternative to Wunderlist for something that achieves less (so far).
Isn't Wunderlist an UWP app ?

On a different subject, why can't we use the reply feature from the Windows Central app ?
please, either remove or fix the feature, which is there, but doesn't work

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I really don't have a use-case for this. For the most part, I enter normal appointments or meetings in the Calendar (I rely on Cortana for most things), since almost everything I do has a fixed, target date time. I rarely have just "things to do" for whenever. Because I schedule almost everything, I actually have much more freedom because I never run across the "oh, crud, I really need to get that done" when I'm in the middle of something recreational. I have so many people requesting of my time that I simply can't have things randomly hanging out there "to do". If I can't target even a tentative date time for something, I simply say "no". I can ALWAYS look at my Windows Calendar, whether normal view or agenda, and know what's I'm obligated for and where I have free time.

andystech

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't live without it now! I actually like its simplicity. I have to admit though, synchronising on W10m does not work well compared to all other platforms I've tried it on.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried it but find that this app is half-baked. Until it has sub tasks and calendar integration I'll continue using Wunderlist.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I use it side by side with wunderlist. ToDo works great for individual lists, but I still need wunderlist till shared lists come to todo.

shanahben

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Sure, Microsoft still has a lot of work cut out to make it feel complete like Wunderlist was (being able to pin items to My Day, for example, would be nice) but, as it is, they've already done a great job.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I just don't see the point of yet ANOTHER list. I feel this is just another reason to stare at our phones all day. Until I see a NEED, I will not be a regular user.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If you haven't tried it yet, check out the to-do list maker/tracker "Microsoft To-Do."

It's a UWP that and has a pretty much seamless interaction between PC and Mobile. It also looks beautiful. It could definitely use some more features and Cortana integration. But I find it very useful!

Check it out!

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...microsoft-to-do%2F9nblggh5r558&token=_Nwz0fpQ

Yes, I use it but man, Microsoft, add in the missing features from Wunderlist. Really need the sharing option, and fast!

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I use both Wunderlist and To-Do daily. Seeing as Wunderlist is planned to be shutdown as soon as an acceptable amount of features have been copied to To-Do, I test Microsoft To-Do thoroughly. No Release Preview extraordinary features yet though, but interesting no bugs either :smile:

Development on this app still feels slightly like a Microsoft garage project, seeing as it does not yet have the same update frequency as the other 1st party apps. However, I am already seeing Microsoft To-Do implemented in the Get Office app, so it is certainly well on its way.

Personally, I never understood why Microsoft was unhappy with Wunderlist - but one day they just stopped further development of it and announced Microsoft To-Do would eventually take its place.

I use Wunderlist for work and Microsoft To-Do for personal life.
Wunderlist is currently my only option for work, as Microsoft to-do is missing three features, we use every day at work: subtasks (status: started), attachments (planned) and commenting.

For daily, personaly use, I consider To-Do is good enough, though using the actionable notifications are a bit odd, especially if you use that feature on Win10M.

It recently had hashtags, task notes and reoccurring tasks added to its feature list.

Finally, I really like, that To-Do links to a suggestion site inside settings, which gives you instant overview of what is planned, suggested and being worked on :excited:

Thank you for putting more focus on it, Indistinguishable! :cool:

paschott

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have it installed. It's just not there yet. It might be decent for basic to-do lists, but I for a short list, I can't:
* nest things
* set decent reminders
* set up recurring tasks
* share tasks/lists

I can do a lot of those in Wunderlist. I can use Todoist and do all of those (even if it costs per year). Right now, MS' "To-Do" just doesn't feel anywhere near like a real product. It feels like a hobby project someone started and every now and then adds a minor feature to it.

I was always a bit annoyed that I couldn't sort completed tasks/items in Wunderlist. I wanted to use it for a shopping list and just pull in older items as needed, but scanning a list of items that's completely random made that untenable. (and it's easier to just uncheck something than keep typing it in over and over - if you can find it) Then Wunderlist kind of stagnated. Now it's being killed off, even though it's still a lot better than To-Do.

Maybe if I saw some actual progress on features in To-Do, I'd feel a bit different. Right now, it still feels more like a toy than a tool. :-/

FAVIOLOSKY

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I use ToDoist and have downloaded the Microsoft To-Do App, i am happy that they can import Todoist list.
However I use Todoist because of collaborative lists across platforms, i work with a Mac at work, but own a PC at home, and own an android phone. Todoist is able to seamlessly sync across devices (my gf has an iphone and she collaborates on lists)
The last thing would be Alexa. I am able to add items onto my list from there as well.
So you see, Microsoft has some road to go before i can completely switch over. It is indeed a beautiful app and as far as i know only works on windows and android, which would have been ok had it not been the Mac at work. I could have a separate app for work, but that defeats the purpose imo. I could live without alexa integration, but i have to admit, its pretty convenient.
Last thing that sort of bothered me a little is the fact its named "Microsoft" to-do, it didnt need to be named microsoft to be known that they've developed it. Its almost like they are screaming for recognition. Also on android and iphone users can be a little uninviting i know this because i asked a few iphone users and their faces changed as soon as i said the name.
just my .02 cents.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Check it out!

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...microsoft-to-do%2F9nblggh5r558&token=03W3mcaZ

I don't use To Do as much s I would like to.

Main reasons:

1. Poor integration with calendar app
2. No integration within onenote
3. Too much a stand alone app among a forrest of similar standalone apps.

ad770

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Sync issues

Typical Microsoft, there is sync issues between my Android phone and windows 10 laptop, rendering it pretty useless to me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo