How many good apps are needed to fill the app gap ? What do you think?

JohnnyBawesome

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking that the "retrenchment" did more than left loyal Windows Mobile users with a bad taste in their mouth. I would bet that the developers were also a little upset as well. Changing from one SDK to another in such a short time frame is probably really frustrating for those who hopped onto the W10M bandwagon early.

sniperboywc

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
The app gap can only be narrowed if there is a movement towards Progressive Web Apps. Google and Microsoft are already making headway in this area.

Roger Harrison

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
here's the thing... It's prob not that big a gap. most people don't have more than what 50 apps on their phone and don't use many of them often. So it would only take a good couple of hundred apps to be fully supported and that would fill the gap enough that devs might actually see the value in a Windows app. sad thing is it's too late now.

Colleen Niland

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
I can't gives specific number. I want the apps that make my life easier, i.e.: My credit unions banking app, OnStar, OverDrive. As I make this list I realize that I want apps to continue Windows support.

ravimaurya027

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Its all about Developers! Developers! Developers😂

A hero device for Windows as a whole... Great Enthusiasm for Developers... lots of TV ads... consumer products... OEM support.... Progressive Web Apps...and thats all to fill the App Gap 😉 Remember it always starts from a great and revolutionary device just how the first iPhone came.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It just needs Snapchat. Throughout my time with windows phone since the wp7, the condescending android users would always hop in here and mention that one specific app that wp needs to survive. It started with Facebook, then that came, then twitter but that came too, then instagram, then Youtube, and a slew of third parties came and then it became available on browser and fanboys kept themselves quiet, and now the "it" app right now apparently is Snapchat, and Snapchat seems to be the holy grail of all apps. So if you were to bring one app, I'd ask for Snapchat. So the condescending wp haters can pick another app to nag.
Maybe the next on their list is Grindr.

Everything can already be accessed thru the browser anyway.

Felipe Garcia

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How many good apps are needed to fill the app gap ? What do you think?

Original YouTube App, Amazon App, Proper Flixster App, SnapChat(Almost Impossible), a fully working Instagram for Windows 10 Desktop, printer drivers for W10 Mobile mobile, DJI drones Apps (Very Important for mobile), SLR's cameras App, GoPro Apps

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm a minority within a minority. For ME, the "app gap" is a myth. I absolutely despise both the Apple and Google worlds, so, I don't care to have anything from either of them on my device. I can't think of any apps that don't already exist on Windows that I use. But it doesn't really matter since W10M is going away, so there's no number of apps that will change that.

BrianEmbry

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I listened to the Windows Central podcast. Daniel talked about Progressive Web Apps. I then visited the site that he mentioned and looked at these Web Apps. I believe that they may be the future of apps. They would make an app gap a non-issue...

Last edited:

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
MS needs/needed to inject money into the pool. I say over and over again, take the $7B that they gave Nokia and instead use it for grants for app developers. IMO the porting tools were too little, too late. MS should have given app developers a grant to help get them up and on their feet with successful UWP apps that generate revenue. I am SURE had/if they done this that W10M would be a vibrant thriving OS, and the app gap would be a foreign term to us all. I actually still think the plan has legs even today, but Microsoft will have to be willing to bet on themselves and their vision not only of mobile but computing in general.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You could have 20 million apps... It doesn't matter any more. WM10 is dead. MS killed it.
The general populous doesn't care about Windows Phone/Mobile.
Apple or Android is all they know, or want to know.

The 'geek' population care about specs etc, the man on the street doesn't.
I own a 1520, and will continue using it til it dies, but Windows Mobile is dead as a concept.
Beautiful as it is, it has ceased to be...

This app gap crap has also got to stop. Mobile apps are just a web wrapper. End of story!!!

Windows Central also needs to accept it. All these clickbait articles are becoming more than annoying. The dead horse has been overflogged.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Its all about Developers! Developers! Developers😂

I just don't even understand the "app gap." I use a handful of apps, most of which are supplied by Microsoft (groove, outlook, skype, onedrive, etc) and then use the Edge for anything beyond those handful of apps. I just don't understand the mentality of loading up your phone's storage with apps that really don't give you anything you can't get with generic web access.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Funny that people keep saying the most updated mobile OS is dead. They are supporting the OS well, just not adding hardware. I am happy with my Elite x3 - which runs buttery smooth on W10M

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
In order for app gap to exist, you actually need a supported OS. Microsoft no longer has a supported mobile OS. Even Bill Gates changed his WP for an Android.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Its all about Developers! Developers! Developers😂

I just don't even understand the "app gap." I use a handful of apps, most of which are supplied by Microsoft (groove, outlook, skype, onedrive, etc) and then use the Edge for anything beyond those handful of apps. I just don't understand the mentality of loading up your phone's storage with apps that really don't give you anything you can't get with generic web access.

But you do need apps. Apps make the same process much easier, faster and less annoying. A lot of times, apps also provide service that a regular website is unable to, for example mobile deposits.

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Does any of this really matter when the CEO uses an iPhone and the co-founder of MSFT just admitted to using an Android based phone? I love my WP10 and will wait till it dies and no more WP phones are made...

XYOUZMOD

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
All in all, about 100 or so apps would do it. The rest is largely fluff, especially when considering the apple/android stores may have 10000 flashlight apps while we may only have 100 (boohoo?), even though everyone has a flashlight function built in...

I don't think it's that simple. Those 100 apps are different for every user: I want bank A, ride sharing B, and use app C of my grocery store. Some other user also wants just 3 apps (banking app, ride sharing app, and shopping app) but those 3 are completely different.

Another problem is new apps: here in Vancouver, our bus system recently did a survey. You did a survey on your phone very conveniently, but of course the apps were offered for iOS and Android only. If I had a WM device, not being able to install this app would make me think twice during my next phone purchase.

Skelnik

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
W10M should support Android apps at this point (and perhaps offer them directly through the Windows App Store). Between that and running UWP apps, all it would take is a killer flagship phone / economy phone pair to take a large bite out of the market.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo