10-04-2017 06:18 AM
107 1234 ...
tools
    A hero device for Windows as a whole... Great Enthusiasm for Developers... lots of TV ads... consumer products... OEM support.... Progressive Web Apps...and thats all to fill the App Gap 😉 Remember it always starts from a great and revolutionary device just how the first iPhone came.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    09-27-2017 10:41 AM
    It just needs Snapchat. Throughout my time with windows phone since the wp7, the condescending android users would always hop in here and mention that one specific app that wp needs to survive. It started with Facebook, then that came, then twitter but that came too, then instagram, then Youtube, and a slew of third parties came and then it became available on browser and fanboys kept themselves quiet, and now the "it" app right now apparently is Snapchat, and Snapchat seems to be the holy grail of all apps. So if you were to bring one app, I'd ask for Snapchat. So the condescending wp haters can pick another app to nag.
    Maybe the next on their list is Grindr.

Everything can already be accessed thru the browser anyway.
    09-27-2017 10:43 AM
    How many good apps are needed to fill the app gap ? What do you think?
    Original YouTube App, Amazon App, Proper Flixster App, SnapChat(Almost Impossible), a fully working Instagram for Windows 10 Desktop, printer drivers for W10 Mobile mobile, DJI drones Apps (Very Important for mobile), SLR's cameras App, GoPro Apps
    ZantReve likes this.
    09-27-2017 10:46 AM
    I'm a minority within a minority. For ME, the "app gap" is a myth. I absolutely despise both the Apple and Google worlds, so, I don't care to have anything from either of them on my device. I can't think of any apps that don't already exist on Windows that I use. But it doesn't really matter since W10M is going away, so there's no number of apps that will change that.
    epakrat75 and sniperboywc like this.
    09-27-2017 10:48 AM
    I listened to the Windows Central podcast. Daniel talked about Progressive Web Apps. I then visited the site that he mentioned and looked at these Web Apps. I believe that they may be the future of apps. They would make an app gap a non-issue...
    Last edited by BrianEmbry; 09-27-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    09-27-2017 11:06 AM
    MS needs/needed to inject money into the pool. I say over and over again, take the $7B that they gave Nokia and instead use it for grants for app developers. IMO the porting tools were too little, too late. MS should have given app developers a grant to help get them up and on their feet with successful UWP apps that generate revenue. I am SURE had/if they done this that W10M would be a vibrant thriving OS, and the app gap would be a foreign term to us all. I actually still think the plan has legs even today, but Microsoft will have to be willing to bet on themselves and their vision not only of mobile but computing in general.
    09-27-2017 11:15 AM
    You could have 20 million apps... It doesn't matter any more. WM10 is dead. MS killed it.
    The general populous doesn't care about Windows Phone/Mobile.
    Apple or Android is all they know, or want to know.

The 'geek' population care about specs etc, the man on the street doesn't.
    I own a 1520, and will continue using it til it dies, but Windows Mobile is dead as a concept.
    Beautiful as it is, it has ceased to be...

This app gap crap has also got to stop. Mobile apps are just a web wrapper. End of story!!!

Windows Central also needs to accept it. All these clickbait articles are becoming more than annoying. The dead horse has been overflogged.
    compuguy1088 likes this.
    09-27-2017 11:29 AM
    I just don't even understand the "app gap." I use a handful of apps, most of which are supplied by Microsoft (groove, outlook, skype, onedrive, etc) and then use the Edge for anything beyond those handful of apps. I just don't understand the mentality of loading up your phone's storage with apps that really don't give you anything you can't get with generic web access.
    09-27-2017 11:48 AM
    Funny that people keep saying the most updated mobile OS is dead. They are supporting the OS well, just not adding hardware. I am happy with my Elite x3 - which runs buttery smooth on W10M
    09-27-2017 11:50 AM
    In order for app gap to exist, you actually need a supported OS. Microsoft no longer has a supported mobile OS. Even Bill Gates changed his WP for an Android.
    compuguy1088 likes this.
    09-27-2017 11:53 AM
    I just don't even understand the "app gap." I use a handful of apps, most of which are supplied by Microsoft (groove, outlook, skype, onedrive, etc) and then use the Edge for anything beyond those handful of apps. I just don't understand the mentality of loading up your phone's storage with apps that really don't give you anything you can't get with generic web access.
    But you do need apps. Apps make the same process much easier, faster and less annoying. A lot of times, apps also provide service that a regular website is unable to, for example mobile deposits.
    ZantReve and compuguy1088 like this.
    09-27-2017 11:54 AM
    Besides the online banking app that i truly miss but can manage with the webpage, is unacceptable not to have Microsoft feature apps, like Planner or Staffhub
    compuguy1088 likes this.
    09-27-2017 12:09 PM
    Does any of this really matter when the CEO uses an iPhone and the co-founder of MSFT just admitted to using an Android based phone? I love my WP10 and will wait till it dies and no more WP phones are made...
    Philip Hamm and compuguy1088 like this.
    09-27-2017 12:15 PM
    All in all, about 100 or so apps would do it. The rest is largely fluff, especially when considering the apple/android stores may have 10000 flashlight apps while we may only have 100 (boohoo?), even though everyone has a flashlight function built in...
    I don't think it's that simple. Those 100 apps are different for every user: I want bank A, ride sharing B, and use app C of my grocery store. Some other user also wants just 3 apps (banking app, ride sharing app, and shopping app) but those 3 are completely different.

Another problem is new apps: here in Vancouver, our bus system recently did a survey. You did a survey on your phone very conveniently, but of course the apps were offered for iOS and Android only. If I had a WM device, not being able to install this app would make me think twice during my next phone purchase.
    09-27-2017 12:20 PM
    W10M should support Android apps at this point (and perhaps offer them directly through the Windows App Store). Between that and running UWP apps, all it would take is a killer flagship phone / economy phone pair to take a large bite out of the market.
    09-27-2017 12:26 PM
    Exactly. I stated a similar position on page 1. A fools errand. Much ado about nothing it would seem. The devices that only run Windows 10 Mobile and earlier will die out and the apps with them. The countdown clock has begun and will expire somewhere in 2019.
    09-27-2017 12:29 PM
    I think prostitute have asked this question, and still working on finding out.
    09-27-2017 01:03 PM
    W10M should support Android apps at this point (and perhaps offer them directly through the Windows App Store). Between that and running UWP apps, all it would take is a killer flagship phone / economy phone pair to take a large bite out of the market.
    Or, just buy an Android phone...
    09-27-2017 01:03 PM
    The gap is a red herring like so many others. It's a distraction from the reality of the situation. The reality as I see it is that Windows 10 Mobile will be replaced mobile devices that run Windows 10 on ARM using the already available Qualcomm Snapdragon 835. It won't be a mobile operating system anymore so the gap won't exist. Then the still prevalent mobile operating systems from Apple and Google can continue to convince people to stay on their toy operating systems while Microsoft offers the only full OS with any real public mindshare that runs the same apps on both the desktop and mobile devices. Device convergence has been happening for a while and the lines between phone and tablet are getting more and more blurry with time.
    The problem with that is it's great for work but not for consumers. Most consumers don't need "full Windows". I only use a web browser and a music player on a PC if I'm not doing work. If I'm working, I'll use x32/x64 programs, not apps. My mobile usage does not overlap my PC usage at all, and those full Windows programs would be useless to me on a small screen. That also ties in to the consumer mindset that Windows is for work, which is true for many consumers who don't need or use PCs for anything except work.
    tgp, Guytronic, ZantReve and 2 others like this.
    09-27-2017 01:35 PM
    Actually, not that many important apps are missing for Windows 10 Mobile.. If Google didn't do such a great job with completely ignoring the existence of Microsoft mobile platform, things would probably be completely different now. Some existing apps should be reworked or made from scratch, because current versions are just ported from iOS or Android and that is not really optimal. Just compare Twitter that runs smooth and Facebook, which feels like working under some kind of emulator... But how to attract developers is obviously a mystery even for Microsoft.
    compuguy1088 likes this.
    09-27-2017 01:47 PM
    @Laura Knotek - That's actually not a problem with Windows itself but how people perceive it IMO. Just because it's full Windows doesn't mean you always have to use it like that.

Use it for play or work, if there's any overlap in the apps you use between the modes then you're able leverage anything you learn in one for the other. If there's a performance or battery issue between devices that's a separate MS / OEM issue that's not directly relevant.

However, this problem of perception and mindset is for MS Marketing to solve and good luck to them with that. They have to compete with all the other marketing messages that just muddle and confuse the issue.
    compuguy1088 likes this.
    09-27-2017 01:48 PM
    Its very simple. none. Happy how my HP ELite x3 is opperating and doing a good job.
    Gaming I do on a desktop and my Mobile is for Home domotica, banking and office 365. OOO and telephone :). Most of the stuff I do with Edge, like LinkedIn, twitter, banking. Music, navigation its all there.
    But a number could be 50. Every week an other keeps you busy for a year. Maintaining apps and having them on your mobile has a limit.
    09-27-2017 02:11 PM
    For me, the answer is none. I'm very happy with the number of apps. However, what is lacking is the support for those apps and the quality of those apps. I would like to see them supported equally and provide the same features as their counterparts on a different OS.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    09-27-2017 02:22 PM
    There are no more Windows Phones - just old ones people are still using. There will likely not be any new devices running Windows Mobile or Windows Phone. The app gap doesn't matter any more. Even if the platform had a future, its no so much how many apps are needed to fill the gap, its will the next new app that comes out launch supporting Windows? Will the next smart gadget support Windows? Evan at its peak Windows on phones was an afterthought that a generous dev might add support for later once everything else has been taken care of. The dream of 3 platforms is over.
    09-27-2017 03:07 PM
    Web access doesn't deposit checks into my bank account. An app does that.
    Web access doesn't connect to my smart scale and set it up. An app does that.
    Web access doesn't connect to my home automation. An app does that.
    Web access doesn't handle mobile payments
    Web access doesn't edit photos and video
    Web access doesn't act as a smart assistant like Cortana or Google Now
    Web access doesn't connect to my Bluetooth Garmin watch and load data from it
    Web access doesn't let me pay parking meters downtown
    Web access doesn't take data from my Garmin watch and upload it to Strava

I could go on, but you get the point. Maybe you don't need any of those things. Lots of people don't and that's totally fine. Lots of people do and a good browser just isn't going to cut it.
    09-27-2017 03:16 PM
107 1234 ...