How many good apps are needed to fill the app gap ? What do you think?

DarthJay38

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a matter of just getting apps to fill the gap, though that's a big part of it.

I understand that development firms are always going to build out for the most popular platforms first, but if MS really wants to close the app gap then they need to convince those companies that it's lucrative to build for MS as well and get fast turnarounds on that. I would say major apps need to be on MS within 3-6 months after being released on iOS or Android. That's the big hurdle to overcome and, currently, I just don't see that MS has the clout to make it happen. They have just about ZERO consumer interest in the platform and even most of us fan boys have bailed on it. It's hard to convince developers to build for a platform nobody is on.

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to convince developers to build apps for a platform Microsoft doesn't even build for.

It won't change either until Microsoft can lead by example and build for their own platform.

One would think using your own platform as a showcase of everything you have to offer would be ideal. I'm not seeing that on W10M.

carl rogers1

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
We just need the apps that matter.

I think when you take away all the useless apps that apple and Android offer, you will see the gap get much smaller. The availability of certain games is not important. The real useful stuff is still available for 10 mobile. So this is really a moot point. When Microsoft stops making apps, then there will be a problem.

nithin k

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
I just have 1 request....

Make an app....
That can run IOS & ANDROID app on windows phone....
When someone asks me about any app..
I should say "YES...I HAVE IT"....😊

Z1P3

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

For things like home automation missing apps is a killer. Some gaps are filled by third party but to different degrees, if at all.

Somfy / Tahoma
Warmup
Phillips / Hue

Utilities like banks, Elec providers etc for me

Novo Banco
EDP

I'm sticking with my 950XL until the end but I bought an iPod for all of the above as well as airlines etc etc

Sad when you have the best kit but it can't perform. If surface surfaces before my 950 dies the game continues if i have to jump it's unlikely i could afford to come back.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
There is no clear answer to "how many good apps are needed". Our personal preferences, wants, differ more than the day is long, so what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

Besides, like many have already stated, it's far from an app-gap issue now.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I chuckle when I see people seriously say that there isn't really an app gap, and that it's just the quality of existing apps in the Windows Store. I get that some people don't use apps. However, those people are in the smallest of minorities if you look at phone sales. The phones that sell the most have access to an app store that has a huge quantity of apps. But, then I see people still saying that the app gap just isn't real. If you remove user preference and just look at the numbers of apps in each of the different app stores, it's plainly evident that there is a tremendous app gap. I mean it's gigantic....ginormous.
To answer the op question: the top 100 or so for sure, first. Then get the other million or so.
But, like a few posts above have said, it's kinda too late.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I chuckle when I see people seriously say that there isn't really an app gap, and that it's just the quality of existing apps in the Windows Store. I get that some people don't use apps. However, those people are in the smallest of minorities if you look at phone sales. The phones that sell the most have access to an app store that has a huge quantity of apps. But, then I see people still saying that the app gap just isn't real. If you remove user preference and just look at the numbers of apps in each of the different app stores, it's plainly evident that there is a tremendous app gap. I mean it's gigantic....ginormous.
To answer the op question: the top 100 or so for sure, first. Then get the other million or so.
But, like a few posts above have said, it's kinda too late.

The BlackBerry users said the same thing. Now most of them were forced to Android.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I lost both of my banking apps years ago. Simply set them up via the browser and pin them to the start screen. Job done

Last edited:

Tonchi91

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I still don't get why people bother over apps that they will never use in their entire life.
I have Lumia 930, and all apps I need are on it. I have 2 Android devices and older iPhone on my desk (they are collecting dust mostly) and I really don't have any intentions to move on them. I am pretty much satisfied with my Lumia 930. I have everything I need: AccuWeather, Crunchyroll, Enpass, Facebook (I don't care if it miss some stupid features I will never use), Instagram, JSON Editor, Linkedin, Messenger, Microsoft Authenticator, Microsoft Flow, my bank official app (m-zaba), Nextgen Reader, Skype, Slack, WhatsApp and Uber. All others app like some games or apps that I don't have any interesting in, I don't care if it exists or not. I don't have a phone to have installed what other people likes even if I won't be using those apps.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I still don't get why people bother over apps that they will never use in their entire life.
I have Lumia 930, and all apps I need are on it. I have 2 Android devices and older iPhone on my desk (they are collecting dust mostly) and I really don't have any intentions to move on them. I am pretty much satisfied with my Lumia 930. I have everything I need: AccuWeather, Crunchyroll, Enpass, Facebook (I don't care if it miss some stupid features I will never use), Instagram, JSON Editor, Linkedin, Messenger, Microsoft Authenticator, Microsoft Flow, my bank official app (m-zaba), Nextgen Reader, Skype, Slack, WhatsApp and Uber. All others app like some games or apps that I don't have any interesting in, I don't care if it exists or not. I don't have a phone to have installed what other people likes even if I won't be using those apps.

Everyone’s perspective on apps and what they want or need is different. It’s not hard to understand some people find a gap.

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

How I look at missing certain games is like how I choose to have an Xbox One vs having a PS4. I could easily own both if I wanted access to games not available on Xbox One. However I choose not to. While I have everything I need as far as apps and for those missing, either pinned the website as a tile or I use my iPad mini for.

The problem is that for most people, owning several devices isn't something they are willing to do. For some, it doesn't work well with their use case. While I am unaffected by the app as you are, the vast majority do care about these things. Especially once they have become used to a certain work flow, it's hard to make them change.

For a large amount of people that are on these forums, we are willing to do the research necessary to find an alternative. Typical end users just want things to work and have access to things directly. I prefer 3rd party apps as usually the design and feature choices are more appealing to me. This doesn't apply to end users. All they see is, no YouTube app from Google, my bank doesn't have an app, etc and are not going to think about using the mobile website. To the average end user, if the app doesn't exist, they don't have any access at all.

PWAs should solve this issue as end users wont be able to tell the difference between a PWA, web wrapper, and a native app. This is why I think Microsoft should be heavily investing into PWA support as this will solve the app gap for many services that already have websites, assuming the web devs will make the transition as well.

It's too difficult to try to place a number of apps needed when the vast majority are spoiled with too many apps, not enough time to try them all but when they think of something they want to use, "there's an app for that." It all depends on the specific's users work flow. Take a large group of people with iOS, Android, Windows 10 Mobile, Blackberry, etc. They will all have varying apps. Some may have installed 5, some may have installed 50.

I will say this, as far as a number of apps needed, we need all native Google services, top ecommerce apps (looking at you eBay), and for the love of God, all Microsoft apps available on iOS and Android with the trend of Microsoft apps coming to and updated first on Windows!!!!

Last edited:

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

I don't think people put apps on their devices just for the sake of doing so w/o ever using them at least once... For me, using an app once or hundreds of times matters not, the fact is it was there when called upon is what matters.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think people put apps on their devices just for the sake of doing so w/o ever using them at least once... For me, using an app once or hundreds of times matters not, the fact is it was there when called upon is what matters.

Exactly true.
There are our go to apps that we use everyday, then there are other apps we use occasionally.
Opentable would be an example for me. I obviously don’t go out to eat every day, but when I do I use it to see where tables are available. (I think it’s actually available on WM but it’s just an example). For others it’s something different. That’s why it’s nice to have choice.

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I think a big issue here is Microsoft not really knowing or caring what direction the mobile platform goes in as of now. The last couple of years have shown a complete lack of interest in making WM10 a viable platform for the average consumer, and instead, have targeted business. Also within the last couple of years we've seen the OS itself turn from a unique OS whose design stood on its own, with the Metro UI influence throughout, to a more Android like interface, just compare apps and how to navigate around the device with devices out now. There's no benefit for these developers to jump on board and bring these popular apps to WM10 because they have successful platforms their apps are on already. Microsoft has dug their own grave for this platform by not doing anything to bring in developers of these apps that general consumers want, they've been targeting the wrong audience for too long. The closest Microsoft ever got to attempting to reach the broader demographic was at east 3-4 years ago with fairly decent advertising, remember those Nokia Lumia commercials with Fruit Ninja?

The porting over apps idea sounds lazy, and you'd be right. But Microsoft themselves were thinking of pushing this into their public OS when WM10 came about, so much so they let developers download a tool they made that ported Android apps to their devices. Not so far fetched all things considered. Then theres the argument, well why not just go to Android, its not original... Very little of WM10 currently is "original" or unique. For me, it's the homescreen. That's about it. Everything else has been altered to the point where the OS feels like a skin on top of Android anyway.

You need popular mobile gaming titles that you see on iOS and Android, you need the social media apps that you see on iOS and Android, you need banking apps and Venmo like apps like the ones on iOS and Android. On top of that you need these apps updated and supported just as frequently as their iOS and Android counterparts. You can't reel in customers if you can't reel developers.

It starts with Microsoft. Committing to this platform and OS, making it competitive. They used to care, doesn't seem that way anymore.

TLDR: it's more than an app issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb