HP Elite X3 on TMobile

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Anyone using HP Elite X3 on TMobile? I'm looking to replace my Idol 4S and wondering if TMo Hot Spot works on Elite X3. I've read it does not.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I pay $5 per month for 10gig WiFi hot spot. I don't think you can test without subscribing. Does WiFi calling work? I've heard that doesn't work either on unlocked phones. I use both on my TMo Idol 4S, but can get by without wifi calling. Thanks for offering!

jimmy zamalot

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
I found out that I actually have mobile hot spot as part of my plan. And I have verified that it does work with T Mobile. I connected my Verizon IPhone. To the hot spot from my HP elite X 3.

jimmy zamalot

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
it's a great phone, I traded the Blackberry Keyone for it.
wish some things would be better, wish the finger print can be used for more than unlocking the device, but it is what it is

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased an X3 and can confirm that wifi hotspot works with TMo. However, wifi calling does not and I don't appear to be getting adequate signal at my house. Just 1 bar while my Idol has 2 or 3. I'm starting to wonder if unlocked phones on TMo don't work on some bands. I haven't seen more than 3 bars, even areas where Idol has full signal. Phone is better than Idol in all areas except speakers. I'll probably have to return though due to lack of wifi calling and poor signal overall on TMo.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately the X3 does not support T-Mobile Band 12 which is necessary for adequate coverage in some areas. In my city I was able to get by without the Band 12 support, but it also got hairy for me if traveling into more rural areas.

Since the device is not certified for VoLTE, band 12 is not available. Hence the bad coverage. There is no 2G/3G fall back on band 12 towers, so phone calls cannot be made without VoLTE. Rather than offer VoLTE on non-certified devices band 12 is instead disabled. The logic is that having no coverage is better since you can roam over to AT&T for an emergency call if needed.

Unless you live in and rarely leave urban areas or suburbia, using a non-T-Mobile certified device can leave you without coverage. I purchased a V20 when they were on sale this spring and switched over to that in the summer.

Interesting that you guys didn't have issues with the hotspot feature. I had to make registry edits each time I wanted to use it... so perhaps T-Mobile has fixed some provisioning on their end, or my issue was more connected using the dual SIM feature. Hard telling...

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Yap, no band 12 explains the very poor coverage I experienced in Denver metro area over weekend. I reluctantly returned X3 today at MS store. Loved the phone and screen size. Much better than my Idol 4S. But can't justify $600 with poor coverage. No problems with hot spot, it worked first try. However, with poor coverage, connection speeds were not as good as my Idol 4S which I purchased from TMo.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately the X3 does not support T-Mobile Band 12 which is necessary for adequate coverage in some areas. In my city I was able to get by without the Band 12 support, but it also got hairy for me if traveling into more rural areas.

Since the device is not certified for VoLTE, band 12 is not available. Hence the bad coverage. There is no 2G/3G fall back on band 12 towers, so phone calls cannot be made without VoLTE. Rather than offer VoLTE on non-certified devices band 12 is instead disabled. The logic is that having no coverage is better since you can roam over to AT&T for an emergency call if needed.

Unless you live in and rarely leave urban areas or suburbia, using a non-T-Mobile certified device can leave you without coverage. I purchased a V20 when they were on sale this spring and switched over to that in the summer.

Interesting that you guys didn't have issues with the hotspot feature. I had to make registry edits each time I wanted to use it... so perhaps T-Mobile has fixed some provisioning on their end, or my issue was more connected using the dual SIM feature. Hard telling...

It's been awhile, but I'm wanting to buy a 950 XL and wondering if theres the same problem with TMobile band 12. I'm guessing not since TMobile used to sell 950's. How can I confirm this.

jay_max

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile never sold the 950 or 950XL. My understanding (as I wanted this phone and am on TMO) is that VOLTE won't work nor will Band 12. That's a deal-killer in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos