I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
That would be nice since it's the same SD808 as in the L950. I'll have to read up on it since the only thing keeping it as a backup was using Continue on PC but that's now broken. You just don't know what's going to break next although.......OneDrive camera roll is populating photos again. At least it was this weekend.

My continuum was broken when using on televisions with my Idol 4S. Worked fine on PC monitor. When I gave that phone to daughter and did hard reset it started working again!
I bought a Lumia 950 for myself (like new, three batteries $50) in October 2019. The 950 has been great and my daughter is liking the Idol. I am still holding out for an Elite X3 with the lap doc for travel and remote meetings as my Asus Transformer T100 on Win 10 keyboard is flakey.

My only real gripe is I own Office, Microsoft won't let me edit files on my phone with out buying a 365 subscription. second would be in the hard reset I lost a good app. that the developer left the store. Still have the app. on a few phones but don't have know how to get it to the phones that were hard reset.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My continuum was broken when using on televisions with my Idol 4S. Worked fine on PC monitor. When I gave that phone to daughter and did hard reset it started working again!
I bought a Lumia 950 for myself (like new, three batteries $50) in October 2019. The 950 has been great and my daughter is liking the Idol. I am still holding out for an Elite X3 with the lap doc for travel and remote meetings as my Asus Transformer T100 on Win 10 keyboard is flakey.

My only real gripe is I own Office, Microsoft won't let me edit files on my phone with out buying a 365 subscription. second would be in the hard reset I lost a good app. that the developer left the store. Still have the app. on a few phones but don't have know how to get it to the phones that were hard reset.
Oh don't get me started on 365! I have one of those groups of little hairs on the back of my neck that say OneDrive will be subscription too. That may be the day I bid Microsoft adieu.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

The Lumias and other Windows phones are perfect devices for children. One they are not easily targeted due to, well popularity. Two I can unlock them and literally uninstall every single app except the camera if I want. Plus they have family account monitoring etc.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Nate0:
Yes are great for kids for all those reasons. Plus they still work very well for what Needs to be done on a phone. I know we all have Wants and perceived needs. Althoughfor the vast majority of people a phone is a convience device (facebook etc).

As title of thread says... I am sticking with it until the ship is sunk and buried in the ocean. No Google for me, a dumb phone will return if need be.:smile:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Nate0:
Yes are great for kids for all those reasons. Plus they still work very well for what Needs to be done on a phone. I know we all have Wants and perceived needs. Althoughfor the vast majority of people a phone is a convience device (facebook etc).

As title of thread says... I am sticking with it until the ship is sunk and buried in the ocean. No Google for me, a dumb phone will return if need be.:smile:

Exactly. Most people do not see them as a tool anymore. By most it's probably like 90% of users. Granted the occasional youtube or Netflix video comes in handy as entertainment, they still are primarily a phone. Which brings us back to the W10M/Microsoft dilemma...how they can simply walk away from the tool we see and used called telephony for so long and expect or think they can walk right back in and pick up where they left off, this has me perplexed...

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That would be nice since it's the same SD808 as in the L950. I'll have to read up on it since the only thing keeping it as a backup was using Continue on PC but that's now broken. You just don't know what's going to break next although.......OneDrive camera roll is populating photos again. At least it was this weekend.
Won't be long before the elite x3 and Idol 4S possibly have a working Windows on arm image available.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
You want more detail or me to Explain what WoA is?

I don't know much about WoA. I read that was a Project to install Windows in Lumia mobiles, but I thought the devices become useless after doing it. For that you have said, It seems that it is a good option now on Lumias.

I had the change my Lumia 950 a few days ago due to the WhatsApp end in W10M (and is an app that I need to use in my work, and also important to stay in contact). But I really miss my Windows device, Android is terrible! I would like to know more about it, if you don't mind.

For example: Can you use computer apps in the phone? Do the phone functions work?, Is it like turning the mobile into a Surface?

Thank you again.

Last edited:

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
How good is the camera picture quality on WoA on e.g. a 950 XL? (/is it comparable to WP10?)
Does battery life take a hit even if battery saver will be turned on? Tnx!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know much about WoA. I read that was a Project to install Windows in Lumia mobiles, but I thought the devices become useless after doing it. For that you have said, It seems that it is a good option now on Lumias.

I had the change my Lumia 950 a few days ago due to the WhatsApp end in W10M (and is an app that I need to use in my work, and also important to stay in contact). But I really miss my Windows device, Android is terrible! I would like to know more about it, if you don't mind.

For example: Can you use computer apps in the phone? Do the phone functions work?, Is it like turning the mobile into a Surface?

Thank you again.
They spent the past couple years building the woa project to what it is. If your familiar with github you can track all the progress on there (WoA-project). You do have to disable secure boot on the lumia, know how to do that, and use one of their tools called the woa deployer lumia. This allows it to install the image. The directions are very specific and if you do anything outside of them or make a mistake then yes you could render the device useless (brick). But with WoA being useless once installed it's far from it now. I would lean more to it like having a personal pocket pc functionality more so than a phone. Although they did work to enable calls and sms on one of the earlier builds; it's not an easy task to get it all working in harmony as a end user. Installing woa is not for the basic user looking to keep using their phone like they did on w10m even though they made a tool that does it all for you. However for what it is and the fact that they keep making improvements, working on areas that don't completely function yet; it's a good way to push your lumia past the w10m life cycle.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Thank you. I think it's a lot more advanced than the last time I read about it.

They spent the past couple years building the woa project to what it is. If your familiar with github you can track all the progress on there (WoA-project). You do have to disable secure boot on the lumia, know how to do that, and use one of their tools called the woa deployer lumia. This allows it to install the image. The directions are very specific and if you do anything outside of them or make a mistake then yes you could render the device useless (brick). But with WoA being useless once installed it's far from it now. I would lean more to it like having a personal pocket pc functionality more so than a phone. Although they did work to enable calls and sms on one of the earlier builds; it's not an easy task to get it all working in harmony as a end user. Installing woa is not for the basic user looking to keep using their phone like they did on w10m even though they made a tool that does it all for you. However for what it is and the fact that they keep making improvements, working on areas that don't completely function yet; it's a good way to push your lumia past the w10m life cycle.
That what I mean. I like the idea to of getting a new funcionality to the Lumia 950 (instead of leting it in a drawer), and it seems cool to be able to have a "Pocket PC". I wonder if it can use Contiumm, and maybe be able to work with your files as a computer wherever you connect it to a screen, or something like that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That what I mean. I like the idea to of getting a new funcionality to the Lumia 950 (instead of leting it in a drawer), and it seems cool to be able to have a "Pocket PC". I wonder if it can use Contiumm, and maybe be able to work with your files as a computer wherever you connect it to a screen, or something like that.

Yes. The fact that with this one can install win32 apps is in itself enough to worthy the project.

I believe they're working on that. Right now USB functionality is limited only to charging. We'll see though.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So I am not a steady user of windows on arm for the 950 XL but I have installed it more than several times, set it up, and used it off and on. It does have performance issues at times. Battery drain is still a thing with it, and especially on aged devices with older batteries. Usability for apps in the store is there though. Any app that is for PC works, along with win32 app executables. So like the new Chromium Edge runs in 32bit on mine if I install it from the download. I can say that it has only improved from when they first started. Even if there are weird bugs or issues, it is a solution or option for many people willing to go this route...at least to just keep their device in use as a something around the house even. I am not certain how far they plan to take their development on this, but they have not stopped or showed signs of it. It should continue to improve through 2020.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My 1520 hums along on the latest w10m just fine. EOL but still serves basic functionality perfectly. Battery life still stellar too lol. 7 yrs old and still crusin.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion