Windows 10 is so bad...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I ran it with 4gb of ram ddr2 with a intel Celeron d i believe on desktop. It ran good. Though it be intreating if you ran it on today computer to see how faster it runs.

Faster is only one aspect of how something runs on hardware. That in itself is subjective in many ways. It might be fast as all get out around the OS in and out, but as soon as you open an app it might get sucked down to nothing. Vista never ran well on anything less than 4 GB from what I remember. Mostly what I remember is how poorly the OS managed RAM. I think volatile memory management was what it did poor in that was a most obvious sore area for Vista. It was supported up to April this year. So its possible it kept improving. When did you last run it live? Vista had many interesting and good features that W7 took and ran with, kinda how W8 still sorta lives inside W10 a bit.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. I understand. One of MS's biggest hurtles, in my opinion, is making sure that all updates function on such a huge variety of devices with different specs. Apple is in a much better position when it comes to updates.
Nope, not true. I've been using Surface 3 ever since it came out and the drivers craps out a lot. It's been years they still haven't fixed the damn thing, proves that Microsoft doesn't give a $h!T about quality software. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one experiencing Windows 10M's instability, and no I'm not using any pre-release version.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Faster is only one aspect of how something runs on hardware. That in itself is subjective in many ways. It might be fast as all get out around the OS in and out, but as soon as you open an app it might get sucked down to nothing. Vista never ran well on anything less than 4 GB from what I remember. Mostly what I remember is how poorly the OS managed RAM. I think volatile memory management was what it did poor in that was a most obvious sore area for Vista. It was supported up to April this year. So its possible it kept improving. When did you last run it live? Vista had many interesting and good features that W7 took and ran with, kinda how W8 still sorta lives inside W10 a bit.

Gosh to think for a moment I believe that was like 8 years ago when I last ran Vista. That was around the time I got Windows 7 for my computer. Funny Speaking of which I still have my copy of Windows 7 dvd disk. Even though im not sure why I still hold onto it when im using Windows 10 now on my custom pc. When I got this desktop about 7 years ago I installed Windows 7 onto it since the copy I had was a Retail so I just transfer the key over to my custom pc.

Vishvjeet Arya

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series 2014 model since 2015 and after the initial 6 months it never gave me any issues. I don't even use any antivirus apart from Windows Defender and I have still to find a virus in my PC. System Mechanic keeps everything in check. There is no slowdown, no lag whatsoever I do even use DaVinci Resolve on this baby. I think the problem is with the level of maintenance you do system wise like defragging, disk checking, updating the drivers etc. These helps a lot. Cuz as far as I have experienced, windows 10 runs really smooth and almost bug free.

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
the guy is right... windows10 as plenty of bugs... touchscreen/keyboard related.. and now with the latest update..my designer mouse stopped functioning (had to reinstall windows)
now no more printer drivers for hp envy4500
its a complete joke...
and latest bug: iphone not recognized.
im about to go Apple all the way...

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah...this sounds like it's a diver issue or a hardware issue...not an OS issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Windows Central mobile app

PEBACK Drivers are faulty? Seriously though OP, what country are you in? Is it one that is known for counterfeit hardware and chips? Not sure about the FreeDOS by default as a reference point either... as that is built as an emulator, their website doesn't recommend using it is a core for someone wanting what you are doing.
What model ASUS is it supposed to be? Going back to Ubuntu or something Linux easy would be recommended if you can override the UEFI from the current state and know how. From what I gathered I would make two guesses, without full data:
1) You don't have an authentic ASUS machine and hardware (or it has a hardware fault)

2) Your Windows 10 install is not genuine, thus it cannot resolve Driver issues with the Microsoft Software databases.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
PEBACK Drivers are faulty? Seriously though OP, what country are you in? Is it one that is known for counterfeit hardware and chips? Not sure about the FreeDOS by default as a reference point either... as that is built as an emulator, their website doesn't recommend using it is a core for someone wanting what you are doing.
What model ASUS is it supposed to be? Going back to Ubuntu or something Linux easy would be recommended if you can override the UEFI from the current state and know how. From what I gathered I would make two guesses, without full data:
1) You don't have an authentic ASUS machine and hardware (or it has a hardware fault)

2) Your Windows 10 install is not genuine, thus it cannot resolve Driver issues with the Microsoft Software databases.
PEBACK?

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
the guy is right... windows10 as plenty of bugs... touchscreen/keyboard related.. and now with the latest update..my designer mouse stopped functioning (had to reinstall windows)
its a complete joke...
Sorry to hear. All 4 of my devices with Win 10 work fine. No bugs whatsoever

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
its a complete joke...

Yup, from my seat it is becoming a real joke - past few weeks, three computers 4 updates (Creators x3/cumulative x1), fail, fail, fail aaaaand fail. The latest one to be inflicted (cumulative) only took me 30 min to sort out but c'mon, this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't get all these failed updates. I have (among other antiques) a Motion Computing LE1700 that shipped with XP. It's got a lowly Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. It's currently on 16299 and everything works. Not most things, everything. All the buttons, Infrared, Fingerprint Scanner, display rotation, you name it, it works. I had to download the Windows Journal stand-alone app to make sure it was 100% but that's another matter.

I did a clean install instead of an upgrade. Motion Computing's support page has every download available (Buttons, Motion Dashboard for activating Bluetooth and the Ricoh multi-media card reader were all I needed) and I didn't even have to run any of the progs in Compatibility Mode.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't get all these failed updates. I have (among other antiques) a Motion Computing LE1700 that shipped with XP. It's got a lowly Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. It's currently on 16299 and everything works. Not most things, everything. All the buttons, Infrared, Fingerprint Scanner, display rotation, you name it, it works. I had to download the Windows Journal stand-alone app to make sure it was 100% but that's another matter.

I did a clean install instead of an upgrade. Motion Computing's support page has every download available (Buttons, Motion Dashboard for activating Bluetooth and the Ricoh multi-media card reader were all I needed) and I didn't even have to run any of the progs in Compatibility Mode.

I'd like to know that too, believe me I would. In all my years toying with PC's haven't seen it this bad, batting a perfect 100% as of late on the "fail" scale. Still have a few more computers waiting in the wings (haven't updated them in a while) and just cringe at the thought of doing so.

All my machines have had clean installs as well, more than once I might add due to an update at some point borking something. The first few months after Windows 10's inception was a nightmare for me, the middle was just OK, now it seems we're back in the nightmare stage again.

Also have an old Toshiba laptop, same era/specs as your Motion, yup works pretty decently but then we've eluded the Creators Update up until this point.

Both my computers at work are running Windows 7 mainly because I can't afford to have an update screw them up. Already played that game on an Asus desktop (core i5/8GB) and Windows 10, said "no more".

So my gripe isn't using Windows 10, it's these updates that continually (for me) inflict pain and the cat and mouse game that ensues afterwords trying to find a pain medication that works.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
FWIW even my secretary will use the term PEBCAK when explaining some trouble calls.

I liked Vista and it ran well when compares to the stinking pile of manure that ExPee was in terms of a downgrade from Win2K.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I may get hate mail for this but I thought 98SE and ME ran better than XP. Every time MS releases a vastly different version than the previous one there's always backlash. Vista was better than XP by all accounts just as 10 is superior to 7.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Understand the frustration with some of the issues,my Surface Pro is fine on standard and even release preview rings. Get into slow and fast though and the issues are to be expected. PEBCAK is old school IT lingo,glad it might be making a comeback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion