Windows 10 is so bad...

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I may get hate mail for this but I thought 98SE and ME ran better than XP. Every time MS releases a vastly different version than the previous one there's always backlash. Vista was better than XP by all accounts just as 10 is superior to 7.

Can't compare the versions like that.

Remember, 98 and ME were windows shells running on top of DOS like 3.x and 95 before them. Windows 10 traces its lineage back through 8.x, 7, Vista, XP, Win2k, NT 4, 3.51, 3.1, and OS/2 1.3. (Yes, you could still run native OS/2 command line apps in XP.)

Win 10 is much improved. Is it perfect? No. But it works.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't compare the versions like that.

Remember, 98 and ME were windows shells running on top of DOS like 3.x and 95 before them. Windows 10 traces its lineage back through 8.x, 7, Vista, XP, Win2k, NT 4, 3.51, 3.1, and OS/2 1.3. (Yes, you could still run native OS/2 command line apps in XP.)

Win 10 is much improved. Is it perfect? No. But it works.

Though you may be correct, unfortunately perception is what rules in the marketplace. I'm sure you'll agree from a technical standpoint that Windows 8 was significantly better than 7, but remember the public reaction to losing the Start button? I personally feel that 8.1 was the best iteration of Windows on desktop and mobile. They weren't perfect (to steal your line), but they worked very well.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure you'll agree from a technical standpoint that Windows 8 was significantly better than 7, but remember the public reaction to losing the Start button?

I never could figure that out but then I started pre Start Button.

I do recall getting Windows 95 and running a test with three new identical PS/2 computers running a batch file with the same functions - compile our DataFlex application, scan the hard drive, and format a floppy.

One ran Win95, one NT 3.51, and the third, OS/2 Warp. The OS2 device came in first followed by the NT device and way behind was the Win95 machine.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I never could figure that out but then I started pre Start Button.

I do recall getting Windows 95 and running a test with three new identical PS/2 computers running a batch file with the same functions - compile our DataFlex application, scan the hard drive, and format a floppy.

One ran Win95, one NT 3.51, and the third, OS/2 Warp. The OS2 device came in first followed by the NT device and way behind was the Win95 machine.
It's nice to have but I could definitely live without it. I really enjoyed Metro with the charms a gazillion times more than the start button. The way I see it, the button is useful only when using mouse and keyboard. It's fairly useless on touch or tablet mode. In fact, the whole desktop is useless on touch unless you have some really small and pointy fingers. Neither of which I have.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's nice to have but I could definitely live without it. I really enjoyed Metro with the charms a gazillion times more than the start button. The way I see it, the button is useful only when using mouse and keyboard. It's fairly useless on touch or tablet mode. In fact, the whole desktop is useless on touch unless you have some really small and pointy fingers. Neither of which I have.

Try a pencil sharpener.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by TgeekB
Originally Posted by fatclue_98

Try a pencil sharpener.

I tried chucking a pencil sharpener at the ruddy thing but it didn't make the shrunken start menu any more useful. Still can't see what use a shrunken start menu is. I can't find any use for the spare screen whilst in the start menu. If I try to use it the shrunken start menu just disappears? How did your pencil sharpener help you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion