Reminisce of a good time you had with Windows 10 Mobile.

harishairi

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
My first Lumia was a 610. Nokia made a smart decision, i was thinking then.
In my country, exchanging wedding gifts between husband and wife is a tradition. My wife presented me a red color Lumia 920 in 2013. The choice of app was not so bad, we got Airasia app, banking app, taxi app etc. from the windows store. Offline Here maps guided us around during our oversea honeymoon trip. It was promising.
I wonder how downward the progress has become since then.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I remember when you could walk into a store and see Windows phones available to buy. Also remember staff in those stores trying everything to talk me out of buying one. I'm so glad I didn't listen to them but all of their warnings about Microsoft's attitude to mobile have come true.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The best memory is on my trip to Ireland in 2014.
Three of us went there for work. We decided to go see some sights around Kilkenny and in County Waterford. I had a Lumia 810 on TMO which I had downloaded the map of Ireland. My two coworkers were on Sprint and had iPhone 5 devices. We used my phone as a GPS tooling around using signal but no actual data and my colleagues were wondering why they couldn't do it with their iPhones.

Fun times, indeed.

In general, I haven't had good times with Windows 10 Mobile. As a former ****** of Windows Phone, and having the ownership of a Lumia 1020, I was excited to test the promised new release of Windows on phones, Windows 10 Mobile, so I waited some builds (in order to have a build with some bugs squashed) and then I decided to get into the Insider program to download one build and I did it. My first impressions of this new version were:
- Bugginess
- Horrendous implementations of android hamburger menus
- Where are pivots?
- Battery drainage
- Native apps crashing like never before (C'mon Microsoft, seriously?, native apps?)
- Edge continuously refreshing with "the most simplest" web pages and then crashing
- The worst: Windows Store erratic while trying to download apps
I understood, OK, it is an insider build, the RTM release will be all better. You all know what happened next:
- Lumia 1020 got unsupported
- The very same bugs/problems/inconsistencies remained the same
- Microsoft's broken promises
- Unfinished OS feelings
By the end of 2015 after the first OS delay, I got my iPhone 6s, the best decision I made, hands down. Today on October 2017, still supported and still the most consistent app ecosystem.

The best memories are from Windows Phone 8.1 and my Lumia 1020, what a monster of phone! :smile:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I remember when you could walk into a store and see Windows phones available to buy. Also remember staff in those stores trying everything to talk me out of buying one. I'm so glad I didn't listen to them but all of their warnings about Microsoft's attitude to mobile have come true.

Yeah, but then the sales people spent thirty minutes trying to convince you that you should be buying an iPhone or Android.

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
not so much a w10m memory but a windows phone memory. i have been using windows on mobile devices since 2005. a few O[SUB]2[/SUB] xdas, the asus mars II aka xda zinc, the orbit, dopods, qteks, an acer neotouch, a toshiba, htc hd2, then microsoft killed off wm6.5 development. things was quiet for almost a year and a half. i stopped visiting xda-developers and i stopped cooking custom roms for pocket pc. then a big news came. microsoft came up with the WP7S, the windows phone 7 series. then the release. malaysia was not a part of the list of the countries these phone were available in. i remembered taking the day off, took a 4 hour bus ride to a state neighboring singapore, just to get my hands on the first commercially available windows phone 7 in the region, through a black market dealer that buys these phones on contract from StarHub and scalps them. i paid almost a thousand USD for the complete unsealed box of the LG Optimus 7 in early 2011. good times. hubs, me tile, live tiles with app integrations. bought almost every new flagship after that, the hd7, 8x, 1020, icon, 930, and finally i landed on a 950. still using it today, missed loads of features that has been stripped off since WP7S. but nonetheless, no android phone nor iphone can give me the usability of the live tiles. i have 6 emails and 4 of them are actively used for work, only a live tile folder with all these inboxes pinned can give me the control over my mails without having me going through all my inboxes one by one, although i know inboxes can be merged but i dont want important mails to be drowned under ****loads of secondary stuff. through out the years of using windows phones, i do own a few android flagships and iphones used as backups. i noticed that the other os makes you go into apps more often. on windows phone, i am good just by glancing at the start screen with all my live tiles. in the world of millions of apps and the advent of social media dominance, my windows phone kept me human. my windows phone kept me human.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Phones are just tools we use in our daily lives. I’m not connected to it emotionally. It’s like asking “Reminisce of a good time you had with your hammer”.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Phones are just tools we use in our daily lives. I’m not connected to it emotionally. It’s like asking “Reminisce of a good time you had with your hammer”.
You've never owned a British car with Lucas electricals have you? Hammers are therapeutic.

Carlo Razzeto1

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Probably all the moments of people discovering just how good the platform was. Every time I showed someone my Icon or One M8 they were very impressed.

Of course switching to Win 10 Mobile was a revelation. For years I was the only one that had the same apps on desktop and mobile. Cortana was very well developed indeed. OneDrive integration seamless. Thank goodness Microsoft is working on it with Android and iPhone.

Stephen Townsley

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I loved all my Windowsphones. I started with a Lumia 800. Once I knew Nokia were onboard the Microsoft option made sense to me. The unique features of "hubs", live tiles and the performance sold me. Having all the Microsoft products on a device was just great.

I dropped the 800 so I temporarily picked up a 610. For a while I had a HTC 8X but also owned a Lumia 1020, 930 and 950.

All of them demonstrated that I no longer needed to carry a separate camera. For me the Lumia was the revolution in smartphone imaging and even today the 950 produces better pictures than my Android daily phone.

I feel very sad that the multiple errors and reboots by Microsoft has condemned great hardware and ideas to the category of "fail".

Microsoft managed to miss every mobile trend and concentrate on Continuum, a non-issue for most consumers.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have so many fond memories of windows 10 mobile. The reality is I still use it on my 1520 and 950XL. They still fit my needs adequately in every day use, for work and personal use.

When they're both definitively dead I'll come back for a story tell.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but then the sales people spent thirty minutes trying to convince you that you should be buying an iPhone or Android.

I remember I had already moved from a 920 to 830 running 8.1 Denim.. Walked into the Samsung kiosk which displayed the newest tabs, Galaxies and Notes
.. There sat so lonely and neglected was an Ativ S, still on 8.0 .. Quite a beaut..
I ask the sales rep... His reply in a nutshell " Oh this is our newest ... It has the LASTEST technology"
??????

Xiao Fang

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
At that time Windows Phone is loved by its good prices and the excellent camera.
It was the 'deal of the day' in all the mobile stores nearby my house.
My father received a Lumia 430 from his co-worker as a birthday gift. He actually liked the phone, then also bought my mother another one (Lumia 540). The next year he got another WP from a friend.
Now my parents are using Android from Samsung, and the 3 WP come to me.
Haizz, maybe I'll buy a Pixel in the end of the year.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I remember when I was in China with a group of friends. None of us could read anything on any signs or menus, and none of my friends had internet on-the-go, so had it not been for my Lumia 950XL with its offline camera translator abilities, it would have been very difficult indeed! Then the camera... I know it's not about the tools, but it's got something to do with it, and combined with some finesse, I've gotten a lot of questions about what camera I have (same for the 920). Most of the time people were flabbergasted, because it always kinda kicked Galaxy and iPhone quality (spoiler alert: I'm disappointed in my Galaxy S8's camera).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I fondly remember the house and car I bought from money made from my WP apps while my Android and iOS ones barely made any. I fondly remember the thousands of emails from engaged users asking for features and telling me what I got wrong.

Now, don't get me wrong, my WP apps are still paying my bills and keeping me very well fed...

Can I ask what WP apps you developed please? I'm interested. Two WP apps I really enjoy are Bookviser and Freda+.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6