mintSIM on a Lumia 650

AvidUrner

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
I decided to give mint a try seeing as the ads are plastered all over WC. I left my AT&T line intact on a hunch that there would be an issue (glad I bought a dual sim 650).

Has anyone had success with using their service on Windows 10 Mobile? Specifically a Lumia 650? I had to explain to their call center rep that yes my phone is not a Samsung or iPhone. They were not helpful in the least.

My main issue is that the connection reverts to E (Edge) and rarely, if ever, hits LTE.

The rep ran me through a ton of settings, only to admit at the end that "This works on the S8 so I figured it might on your phone too"...

If WC is going to push the service, they could at least put out a quick article explaining how to achieve the best experience on a Windows device.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am not positive if this is still the case, or they did upgrade their FW to accept higher than 2G on the second sim slot...but if you are using it in the second sim slot, it will only get 2G. If both are active in the phone only one sim can be used as 4g/LTE at a time.

However, if you have it in the first slot and no AT&T sim card in or active as 4G/LTE toggled for that sim then it could be related to the default LTE bands on that phone and what is available in your area. Mint is a T-mobile mvno right? Open field test by dialing ##3282#, check if you have these bands 2,4,12. I remember the dual sim 650 haveing some of the network bands for AT&T but missing LTE band 17. I think it is missing band 12 too and others.

AvidUrner

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
Yes, they are a T-Mobile MVNO. Honestly, I managed to get a somewhat reliable data connection by throwing settings at the wall. My issues now are that MMS and group messages are not functioning. I'm sure this is due to incorrect settings, but what little information I was able to glean from forums has not worked thus far.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, a sim on a factory unlocked Windows 10 Mobile phone is best configured at the OOBE during boot time/setup. But I have not had experience using both sim slots...If worse comes to worse, you can do a backup and try to a hard reset and hope the sims get configured that way...or could be as simple as the right LTE APN/mms apn. Really MintSim should have the apns for all platforms available.

AvidUrner

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm engaged in a support email chain. If it goes well I will post all of the settings in a separate thread for anyone else in the same boat.

A BlackBerry with Android is looking better by the day.

AvidUrner

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm engaged in a support email chain. If it goes well I will post all of the settings in a separate thread for anyone else in the same boat.

A BlackBerry with Android is looking better by the day.

Auggybendoggy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
For me, my 1520 went on Mintsim with no issues at all. I didn't even have to setup the APN. MMS, Data, everything works. Also I did a speedtest and Mint seems to be nearly as fast as Tmobile where Redpocket is slower. I've read that MVNO's are usually slower on the Mbps. But Mint is really fast for me in So. Cal.

AvidUrner

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
I decided to cancel and request a refund after comparing reception during my commute and within my office building. I may try an MVNO that utilizes AT&T's network. I had T-Mobile years ago in the same area but the coverage seems to be worse Though, at the time I was using a Blackberry with an exceptionally strong antennae array. I will say that the refund process is very smooth and they don't make you jump through any unnecessary hoops.

AvidUrner

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
I am going to give either RedPocket or Consumer Cellular a shot on GSMA. They both offer a refund policy so what have I got to loose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven