How do I set a cutom ringtone for a specific contact Windows 950 phone?

SF331

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
I have many ringtones, all work as default but if I assign them as a personal ringtone they dont work, but only the default ringtone works

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Try setting the notification sound to 'default' in notifications. Then set the ringtone to what you want for a contact.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have many ringtones, all work as default but if I assign them as a personal ringtone they dont work, but only the default ringtone works

Are they located in the device memory in the ringtone folder?

I have had issues with file types with different builds. I have mp3 and wma and have had to use both.

How would you set them as default? Isn't the "default" set by the OS on release?

Make sure you save your selections when you are done selecting a custom ringtone or text tone.

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So there apparently is still no way to assign a "custom" tone to a contact, correct? When I say "custom" I don't mean using a tone that came with the phone, but one that I've downloaded to the Ringtones folder. Assigning a text tone to a contact only lets you pick from tones that came with the phone. Does anyone know a way around this?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
So there apparently is still no way to assign a "custom" tone to a contact, correct? When I say "custom" I don't mean using a tone that came with the phone, but one that I've downloaded to the Ringtones folder. Assigning a text tone to a contact only lets you pick from tones that came with the phone. Does anyone know a way around this?

Yes there is, I just verified it on my 950 XL DS, I have my personal audio files, wma and mp3, they are on the device, not SD card, in the ringtones folder, by selecting edit in the contacts you can save a ringtone and a textone for each contact.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm

I just did this... Downloaded the MSFT Ringtone Maker app from the store.

When launched, it began to search, populating songs on my phone. I chose one track, edited and saved a 12 second section.

Then in the people hub, i edited a contact to assign that newly made ringtone.
The new tone is found at the bottom of the list.

When making the ringtone, it can be of any length (not sure if there is a limit), it can be renamed, and its not necessary to set it as default.

... !

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes there is, I just verified it on my 950 XL DS, I have my personal audio files, wma and mp3, they are on the device, not SD card, in the ringtones folder, by selecting edit in the contacts you can save a ringtone and a textone for each contact.

Yes, I know the procedure but custom tones from my Ringtones folder are not showing up on the list when I try to add a text tone to a contact in the People app. I have tones created from songs using the ringtone maker and tones downloaded from Zedge. These tones do show up however when using the Sounds settings to apply to an app. (I currently have the messaging app set for Default)
Another interesting thing is that when I went into the Ringtones folder and looked at the properties for any of the tones they all said 'VLC Media Player' as the file type rather than .mp3 or .wma...I have that app but I've never used it (strange). So, I uninstalled VLC and rebooted, now my tones do show as .mp3 or .wma...but they still don't show up when I try to change a contact tone in People. (Note: I'm on an X3 with all the latest FCU updates)

UPDATE... This is working properly on my Icon, which is still at build 14393

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Another interesting thing is that when I went into the Ringtones folder and looked at the properties for any of the tones they all said 'VLC Media Player' as the file type rather than .mp3 or .wma...I have that app but I've never used it (strange). So, I uninstalled VLC and rebooted, now my tones do show as .mp3 or .wma...

That usually happens when the audio files gets associated with VLC when that media player was installed on your PC.

Not sure what happened with your ring tone problem..

... !

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I know the procedure but custom tones from my Ringtones folder are not showing up on the list when I try to add a text tone to a contact in the People app. I have tones created from songs using the ringtone maker and tones downloaded from Zedge. These tones do show up however when using the Sounds settings to apply to an app. (I currently have the messaging app set for Default)
Another interesting thing is that when I went into the Ringtones folder and looked at the properties for any of the tones they all said 'VLC Media Player' as the file type rather than .mp3 or .wma...I have that app but I've never used it (strange). So, I uninstalled VLC and rebooted, now my tones do show as .mp3 or .wma...but they still don't show up when I try to change a contact tone in People. (Note: I'm on an X3 with all the latest FCU updates)

UPDATE... This is working properly on my Icon, which is still at build 14393

There must be a glitch with your current install. I was setting up my 950 today to use it for a while and I set a custom text tone for a contact and it wouldn't save.....then all my contacts disappeared. I had to add my email account as Outlook2 as a IMAP account (which I do anyway) but an odd glitch nevertheless.

You may need to do a hard reset if you want to assign custom tones.

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
There must be a glitch with your current install. I was setting up my 950 today to use it for a while and I set a custom text tone for a contact and it wouldn't save.....then all my contacts disappeared. I had to add my email account as Outlook2 as a IMAP account (which I do anyway) but an odd glitch nevertheless.

You may need to do a hard reset if you want to assign custom tones.

I had a friend who has an Idol 4S with the Fall Creator's Update try this while I watched... it didn't work properly for him either. Changing a contact tone did not show tones from the Ringtones folder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium