Hansani Archibald

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I, like some others have considered sticking with Windows 10 mobile until after the recent announcement. I even made a post askjng about a comparison on the X3 as I had planned to buy one and use it until 2019 until I got to see if the mythical Surface telephony device would materialize.. as well as how well it would do. But then I had a thought/question. What if the developers of the apps currently for windows 10 mobile decide to start pulling their apps then it would make no sense to stay with a windows phone until 2019 even if MS will support it with patches, etc until then. Any thoughts?

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
What if the developers of the apps currently for windows 10 mobile decide to start pulling their apps

It's already happening, and you can expect it to continue. Devs who aren't making money or no longer want to invest in maintaining another platform (but are evolving their servers) are pulling apps that either don't work or that they don't want to have to support. That isn't going to stop happening anytime soon.

Any platform that isn't actively being developed is dying, because the rest of the world doesn't stop moving forward, and soon, compatibility with older apps and services and devices will be broken in order to support new features, functions, and APIs on modern, supported platforms.

It's one thing to keep using a device you already own and have already paid for as long as it works for you, but it's really not a great plan to invest additional money into a dead platform that is only going to be less and less functional with time.

But, hey, it's your money.

Hansani Archibald

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I agree on not wasting money as that is not my goal. That is why posted my question about developers pulling from the store. i was looking for confirmation on how more drastic the situation has becone with the devs and the app store since thr announcement. I def agree is it makes not sense to buy a new device if it is already happening at a serious rate.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree on not wasting money as that is not my goal. That is why posted my question about developers pulling from the store. i was looking for confirmation on how more drastic the situation has becone with the devs and the app store since thr announcement. I def agree is it makes not sense to buy a new device if it is already happening at a serious rate.

Sorry but doubt you'll get much in the way of confirmation here unless the actual Dev's themselves chime in, don't see that happening. Personally, it can't get any more drastic as using a Windows Phone (for me) feels like we've went back in time several years.

And the way things are playing out with the platform and its apps, guarantee it'll only get worse. It's the opposite of playing the lotto and winning, one day you'll go to use an app and it'll inform you "that's all folks!".

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I've held onto my lumia 730 for over 3 yrs, finally making jump to Note 8. MS doesnt have mobile plans involving windows.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've held onto my lumia 730 for over 3 yrs, finally making jump to Note 8. MS doesnt have mobile plans involving windows.
Discouraging but true...I will wait it out though personally. Those dang flagships for Apple and Android makers are pocket burners man. I do feel for Microsoft though, and would like to know what the heck they are really up to. Is the Surface brand directed at enterprise too? It seems it is/was the closest thing to the consumer space before the last lineup of Lumias came, but what the heck are they going to do if all their partners start investing in Android PC phones?

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
but what the heck are they going to do if all their partners start investing in Android PC phones?

They'll do what they're doing now: sell MS apps and services on those platforms and make money doing it. With around 2 billion people now owning a mobile device and still rapidly growing, MS has a huge number of new potential customers, and as they continue to move towards subscription services, they'll have lots of recurring income. They don't need to own the OS to make money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss