What can Windows 10 Mobile phones do better than Androids or iPhones?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Google will retrench Android in a couple years?!

They're going to have to if they continue on their present course. Have you tried Play Store apps on a Chromebook? It's bad enough that the OS doesn't scale properly on a tablet and now they want you to experience it on a 13, 14 or 15 inch display. Outside of Word and Excel, I've uninstalled all Play Store apps from my CB.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They're going to have to if they continue on their present course. Have you tried Play Store apps on a Chromebook? It's bad enough that the OS doesn't scale properly on a tablet and now they want you to experience it on a 13, 14 or 15 inch display. Outside of Word and Excel, I've uninstalled all Play Store apps from my CB.

Have not yet, but that does not surprise me. Android was never meant to be on every device. Just like Windows before Windows 10 was...maybe Microsoft does know what they are doing ;). So the only thing Android has or ever has going for it are the apps and much support from vendors willing to use it on their hardware. I read and mentioned a while back that Huawei was found stating they are developing their own phone OS kinda like Tizen from Samsung--Linux based. It was said they are building it in case their relationship with Google sours.. We can look at that in a couple different ways I guess. Even Huawei knows the power of multiple canvases as we saw their rendition of Continuum on the Mate 10 series.
So it is safe to say that I think you and I are right on this. That is the good part of the consumer perspective as we can just wait and see.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have not yet, but that does not surprise me. Android was never meant to be on every device. Just like Windows before Windows 10 was...maybe Microsoft does know what they are doing ;). So the only thing Android has or ever has going for it are the apps and much support from vendors willing to use it on their hardware. I read and mentioned a while back that Huawei was found stating they are developing their own phone OS kinda like Tizen from Samsung--Linux based. It was said they are building it in case their relationship with Google sours.. We can look at that in a couple different ways I guess. Even Huawei knows the power of multiple canvases as we saw their rendition of Continuum on the Mate 10 series.
So it is safe to say that I think you and I are right on this. That is the good part of the consumer perspective as we can just wait and see.
Funny that you mentioned that. I was just reading today about the Razer phone possibly doing a desktop experience with a new laptop shell. I guess Continuum wasn't such a crackpot idea after all.

jolyrojr

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm seriously considering picking up a W10M device and look forward to your answers.

I use both a lumia 830 running win10mobile and an lg with android. everything takes 1-3 more steps to accomplish on android.

my android has an sd card, but i cant install apps to it, my lumia has 128gb and it mounted and all new files go to it not my device.

the Microsoft word flow keyboard the best predictive text use I've seen. my android has "autocorrect" which it does automatically even though it just doesnt know enough words. it corrects legit words to garbage and i have to go back and check everything.

my favorite feature I've only seen on windows phone, if you select a word, you can hit the shift key to change the capitalization, rotating through first letter only, all caps, no caps!

there aren't as many apps or games, which means i am less distracted, and all the apps on windows phone are only given access to their own isolated storage, which means apps cant wander your file system looking for personal info to send back,,,

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Failure?

I used to be a massive fan of W10M. Since moving to Android though I find that I don't miss it all that much. Not even the live tiles which I really enjoyed having access to.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"I used to be a massive fan of W10M. Since moving to Android........."

Same here, except I moved to iPhones and iPads. I don't miss Windows either. It all just seems like a Bad Dream now. I fire up my Icon and 1520 once a month for the updates, but it all looks like an antique these days.

W10M definitely excels at failure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)