Goodbye Microsoft

brorim

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I will never adopt Windows 10 .. the Whole idea of accepting having everyting I type, Draw , photograph auto uploaded to Microsoft servers is revolting to me. The fact that Microsoft refuses to aknowledge this and consistantly keeps pushing for data mining pushes me away .. I removed Windows 10 from the computers it forced itself upon and installed Windows 8.1 to retain the latest possible directx compatibility. When MS ends support for Windows 8.1 I'm migrating to Linux mint .. I have two test installs of mint and a virtual machine running it on my main pc.. heaps of great triple A games run on Linux steam and with the further Development of 3d support it will be the green pastures of privacy and personal computing of the future .. thank you Microsoft for all the fish

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
To each his own, but I think what you're seeing is the compromise required to have seamless sync across devices. Apple has the same issue. Also the question is how is the data being used and is it affecting you in a negative way.

We give away our data and privacy on our phones, social media, grocery and retail store cards, doctors and dentists, etc. every day. I personally like the ability to move between my phone and PC, desktop to laptop, and Xbox.

If you use Netflix you give personal data away. If you surf the web you give profile data away (even with secondary accounts unless you use TOR). If you have a credit card, they sell your data.

While I love Mint and believe no company is perfect I don't believe that you can/should live in fear of the big, bad Tech company selling your data. If so maybe you should get off the grid, use cash, and throw away all your devices.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To each his own, but I think what you're seeing is the compromise required to have seamless sync across devices. Apple has the same issue. Also the question is how is the data being used and is it affecting you in a negative way.

We give away our data and privacy on our phones, social media, grocery and retail store cards, doctors and dentists, etc. every day. I personally like the ability to move between my phone and PC, desktop to laptop, and Xbox.

If you use Netflix you give personal data away. If you surf the web you give profile data away (even with secondary accounts unless you use TOR). If you have a credit card, they sell your data.

While I love Mint and believe no company is perfect I don't believe that you can/should live in fear of the big, bad Tech company selling your data. If so maybe you should get off the grid, use cash, and throw away all your devices.

Reality right here!

anon(3641385)

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

I can understand the OP :smile: i just moved to a new laptop and therefore away from WIN7, and the change is not for the better, imo.

Cripes, I didn't realise when I signed into my office account on the pc that that meant i handed over my pc interface etc to windows. i feel like i'm running a windows phone on a pc, the way that microsoft has insinuated itself onto my device.

Yeah, others will say whatever they will about how they like this etc, well each to their own, lol

i've turned off as much report back home stuff as i can find, and can't uninstall stuff like groove (groovy, not!)

And i've only set up the (asus) device two days ago, so there's a way to go to getting rid of stuff and downloading/installing my stuff.And yes, I've ticked the developer options boxes where i find them, and side load apps. Talk about a nanny state!! and no, i don't want a lecture about how these things are set up for the dumb user, lol.

they're my thoughts .... :winktongue:

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So... the OP has the brains to install Mint, via a VM, so you must realise that you can stop MS getting a damn thing via a simple hosts file change.

Goodbye to the OP.

P.s. What phone do you use? If it's an Android or Apple phone then I'd just laugh.

anon(3641385)

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
So... the OP has the brains to install Mint, via a VM, so you must realise that you can stop MS getting a damn thing via a simple hosts file change.

Goodbye to the OP.

P.s. What phone do you use? If it's an Android or Apple phone then I'd just laugh.
Yep, android, BlackBerry since 2008, and then moved onto the Samsung note 8 from my bb priv.

Limitation of exposure and constant darn vigilance is a pia, but that's the cost of using a smart anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers