It would be great to have Android ROMs for our Lumias these days...

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
As Windows 10 Mobile is dead now, it's first time I wish my Lumia can install and run Android OS. L950XL is nice piece of hardware (several other Lumias too) and it would be great if someone can make this possible. I'm not optimistic, just dreaming...

We worked together with Microsoft "to build better OS", submitted a millions of bugs, suggestions, great ideas... and now what we have? We have dead OS and dead devices. We are extremely stupid people. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see what the 950 XL and other Lumia's bring to the table that isn't seen anywhere else in Android.

And even if someone got Android running (like that kinda-working build on the Lumia 520), we'd still have a heck of a time fine-tuning it.

And I don't think anyone is necessarily stupid as it was a murky situation, just bamboozled?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia phones are well beyond their zero worth today.
Why force Android onto ancient hardware?
Android on these old phones doesn't rescue or preserve anything.

I agree with Xandros and Grant...

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
There is one more thing. Unlike WP 8.1 that runs smoothly even on 512 MB RAM, Android needs at least 2 to 3 GB RAM for some "mysterious" reason and sometimes even that is not enough. Also, I will advise not to go for Galaxy because it can explode and hence are banned on some flights.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There is one more thing. Unlike WP 8.1 that runs smoothly even on 512 MB RAM, Android needs at least 2 to 3 GB RAM for some "mysterious" reason and sometimes even that is not enough. Also, I will advise not to go for Galaxy because it can explode and hence are banned on some flights.

Not sure where you get your sources from for anything (Samsung 8 exploding???) but here's the real hardware spec for the latest Android OS.

https://source.android.com/compatibility/8.0/android-8.0-cdd.pdf

If you want older ones - https://android.stackexchange.com/q...e-minimum-hardware-specifications-for-android

I hate misinformation...

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Let it die with dignity.

I'm sorry, but I don't think there's any return on such an endeavour. Personally, I'm going to use my Lumia for as long as it lives, and then move on to whatever is available at that time.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP on this one. While I would not want to see Android on a model with less than 2GB, those Lumia models that have at least 2GB or more would be a good candidate for Android and would be quite capable. Why should a person have to shell out $800+ yet again when you already have good hardware that you are satisfied with?

It is a shame that Microsoft made sure the bootloader on these models impossible to crack to the point that it isn't worth it to the hackers to make it possible to install Android.

Bottom line, no matter what any of us want or don't want, it just isn't possible and won't be possible to put Android on a 950XL or HP Elite X3, or anything else you might thing is worth it.

Time to move on to new hardware.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
but here's the real hardware spec for the latest Android OS.

https://source.android.com/compatibility/8.0/android-8.0-cdd.pdf

If you want older ones - https://android.stackexchange.com/q...e-minimum-hardware-specifications-for-android

I hate misinformation...

So, as per this document, minimum RAM for Android 8.0 is 1 GB. But do you think that you can get satisfactory level of performance on Android 8 with 1 GB RAM? I think you will need at least 2 GB of RAM. I was not talking of min specs.

eKeith

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
It would be great, and a miracle, if Microsoft releases all mobile device binaries and Windows Mobile code for the open source community...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss